1. #1 Trump ousts Tillerson, will replace him as secretary of state with CIA chief Pompeo 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    By Ashley Parker and Philip Rucker March 13 at 8:40 AM

President Trump has ousted Secretary of State Rex Tillerson and replaced him with CIA Director Mike Pompeo, orchestrating a major change to his national security team amid delicate negotiations with North Korea, White House officials said Tuesday.

Trump last Friday asked Tillerson to step aside, and the embattled top diplomat cut short his trip to Africa on Monday to return to Washington.

Pompeo will replace him at the State Department, and Gina Hapsel — the deputy director at the CIA — will succeed him at the CIA, becoming the first woman to run the spy agency, if confirmed.

In a statement issued to The Washington Post, Trump praised both Pompeo and Haspel.

“I am proud to nominate the Director of the Central Intelligence Agency, Mike Pompeo, to be our new Secretary of State,” Trump said. “Mike graduated first in his class at West Point, served with distinction in the U.S. Army, and graduated with Honors from Harvard Law School. He went on to serve in the U.S. House of Representatives with a proven record of working across the aisle.”

The president continued, “Gina Haspel, the Deputy Director of the CIA, will be nominated to replace Director Pompeo and she will be the CIA’s first-ever female director, a historic milestone. Mike and Gina have worked together for more than a year, and have developed a great mutual respect.”

LINK
    May the FORCE be with you!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Odd timing.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    I can't think this is good.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Not surprised with the firing, just that it
    took this long.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Power CUer
    From what I have heard from my friend in Washington, the Dept of State is in a state of turbulence and instability. There is witch hunt level finger-pointing. Actually a number of Federal Agencies are undergoing this kind of thing right about now. The worst are EPA and State. This friend of mine is at another agency and says she believes that the Trump people are "pressure testing" the government, with an eye to cracking the weak links.

Unfortunately, there are good people caught in the "pressure testing" process: people with actual smarts, skills and the ability to get things done. These valuable people are leaving government, even when they have been at an agency for years. Because they are good people, they actually can find opportunities outside government.

Meanwhile, the rats and wastrels are clinging to their jobs, lying to the Trump people, and angling for promotions they don't deserve. This is the OPPOSITE of what should be occurring. Even worse, the new Trump people cannot tell the liars, cheats and bullshitters from the decent folks--because the Trump people are new and don't understand the work history of these folks. Liars, cheats, and bullshitters tend to have a lot of confidence because they don't actually understand what they are supposed to be doing and the work it entails. The Trump people mistake this unwarranted confidence in bad employees for actual skill.

As a result, the well-meaning Trump leadership is advancing the WORST people and causing the best to leave.

There are good people staying, but they are just fighting to survive right now. Many of these good people staying are either responsible for supporting families or are near the end of their careers and are waiting it out until they can get their pensions. My friend is in the former situation. She is looking for other work, but at her level, it might take several years to get something comparable. The DC area is expensive and she is supporting her family, including an elderly mother.

Pompeo is government; Tillerson was not. Tillerson may not have really understood how to effect the change he wanted. Pompeo may understand the system better and may be better able to effect change without hemorrhaging the good people the government really needs to keep.