1. #1 Utah becomes 1st state to pass 'free-range parenting' bill 
    Power CUer
    When we were kids, this was called "childhood."

Utah becomes 1st state to pass 'free-range parenting' bill
    http://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/...bill-1.4597045

It's about allowing your kids to do things on their own — without repercussions.

This month, the governor of Utah signed a "free-range parenting" bill into law that will amend the definition of neglect. It will go into effect in May and it is said to be a first-of-its-kind law in the United States.

As It Happens host Carol Off spoke to Utah Republican Sen. Lincoln Fillmore about why he sponsored the bill. Here is part of their conversation.

For those who don't know the term, what does it mean to say "free-range parenting?"

Free-range parenting is the idea that kids need freedom to explore the world, to discover things on their own and it helps them to learn the problem-solving skills and self-reliance that they're going to need to be successful as adults. They can do that through independent play and independent exploration.

OK, what are some of the examples of free-range parenting?

Letting your kids go to the park. I remember when I was a young child, my mother would give me money and say, "Go to the store and buy me butter." So, I'd walk. The store was about a half-mile to a mile away.

We crossed under a freeway underpass, down a fairly busy road, but just walk safely to the store and give it to mom. Experiences like that really give skills they can't get if parents are hovering over them constantly....

" Be home when the streetlights come on. "

" What if the streetlights don't come on? "

" Then be home before the USSR gets here. "

That was kinda like my backdrop, growing-up.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    " Be home when the streetlights come on. "

" What if the streetlights don't come on? "

" Then be home before the USSR gets here. "

That was kinda like my backdrop, growing-up.
    We used to walk for miles. We used to play outside after dark with flashlights in the summer. We were safe and our parents never worried.

Come summer after dad and mom left for work I was free for whatever but I better have supper on the table or near so by the time both got home. Saturday I might leave after breakfast and get home so late I would set up the camping cot in the backyard rather than go in and wake them. By bicycle, horseback or shanks mare I covered more ground in a day than my g’son does in a week. Drink, swim and fish in the neighbors cow ponds, take my bolt action .22 and chase rabbits with a shaving sharp sheath knive on my belt, smoke dry grape vines then show back up with whatever I might have popped that day. Fried rabbit, squirrel dumplings, white bass or boiled snake - it’s all the same.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Come summer after dad and mom left for work I was free for whatever but I better have supper on the table or near so by the time both got home. Saturday I might leave after breakfast and get home so late I would set up the camping cot in the backyard rather than go in and wake them. By bicycle, horseback or shanks mare I covered more ground in a day than my g’son does in a week. Drink, swim and fish in the neighbors cow ponds, take my bolt action .22 and chase rabbits with a shaving sharp sheath knive on my belt, smoke dry grape vines then show back up with whatever I might have popped that day. Fried rabbit, squirrel dumplings, white bass or boiled snake - it’s all the same.
    You had a better childhood than I did, damn you! Then again, we were city folks who moved to the suburbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    You had a better childhood than I did, damn you! Then again, we were city folks who moved to the suburbs.
    To our north was town about a half mile away, to our east, south and west was country. We could see 6 houses in those three directions and one of them was my maternal grandparents. Rue McClanahan lived in another. I could fish, hunt and get in trouble within a half mile in two directions. Way too many fences and graveyards in the other.
    Last edited by Retread; 04-03-2018 at 11:45 AM.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    To our north was tow about a half mile away. to our east, south and west was country. We could see 6 houses in those three directions and one of them was my maternal grandparents. Rue McClanahan lived in another. I could fish, hunt and get in trouble within a half mile in two directions. Way too many fences and graveyards in the other.
    Rue McClanahan? No kidding!

(What I would give for a place spread out so you could only see 6 houses!)

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    (What I would give for a place spread out so you could only see 6 houses!)
    You actually did 'own' that environment as a kid. You just happened to be somewhere else at the moment.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    You actually did 'own' that environment as a kid. You just happened to be somewhere else at the moment.
    It's all mine!

When my brother and I were about 11 or 12 years old, on the last Sunday of every month, my parents dropped my brother and me off at the Old Jail in St. Augustine while they went to an antique auction south of St. Augustine. We had about $10 to $15 dollars each and we would roam the city. The tour drivers knew us and would drive us around for free. We knew downtown St. Augustine better than we knew Jacksonville. My mom and dad picked us up at 5:00 pm and we drove back home to Jacksonville. This is the early 1970s. The world was a different place then and in some ways, today's kids are missing a lot of activities that made kids from my day who we are today.
    Liberals! The real fascists.