Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Mid West Ice Storm 
    Just a general warning to folks who live in the mid west. Sunday-Tuesday we're looking at a pretty nasty system coming across. Lots of freezing rain is expected.

When I go into work tonight I'll get a better idea of how widespread the effects may be, but If you live in the Illinois/Missouri area, I'd be prepared to not be going anywhere those few days, with the possibility that we may lose power as well.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    It's funny, it supposed to be near 60 here on Sunday.

All The Weather Channel has on the 10 day Forecast for the days
    in question is "Light Wintery Mix"...:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    It's funny, it supposed to be near 60 here on Sunday.

All The Weather Channel has on the 10 day Forecast for the days
    in question is "Light Wintery Mix"...:D
    Sunday Night
    Blustery...colder. Rain until early morning... then freezing rain late. Some ice accumulation possible. Low in the upper 20s. Southwest wind 15 to 25 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.
    Monday
    Much colder. Freezing rain and sleet likely. Light snow accumulation possible. Some ice accumulation possible. Near steady temperature in the upper 20s. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Thats from Weather Underground. And we in the military are forecasting for some really nasty stuff.

Well as long as the power doesn't go out...

The Rockies are slated for big time snow so you mid-western people are probably screwed. We expect it to come in on Saturday night and go all through Sunday, maybe into Monday morning.

No ice storms here but lots of the fluffy white with highs in the teens Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Well as long as the power doesn't go out...
    Keep your fingers crossed. I know a lot of people have been out buying generators...

Ok, took a look at a few things. If this thing holds together, it's gonna be a nasty one. I'd be expecting a decent amount of rain ahead of the temperature drop. Then there will be a very fast temp drop following the front, leading to a lot of stuff icing over. I'm not convinced about wide spread freezing rain, but I wouldn't discount it yet. It's pretty far out to be making bets on something thats requires pretty precise forecasting to be accurate on.

STRONG cold air push following it. Expect negative teens to -20's (Celcius) in the Dakota's, Minnesota, and just slightly warmer in the rest of the Great Plains and mid west.

Issued by The National Weather Service
    St. Louis, MO
    3:42 am CST, Sat., Dec. 13, 2008

... WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ST LOUIS HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WATCH... WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM SUNDAY EVENING THROUGH MONDAY AFTERNOON.

A SIGNIFICANT WINTER STORM IS EXPECTED TO OCCUR BEGINNING SUNDAY NIGHT ACROSS PORTIONS OF SOUTHEAST AND EAST CENTRAL MISSOURI AND SOUTHWEST ILLINOIS. AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL MOVE THROUGH THE WATCH AREA ON SUNDAY NIGHT USHERING VERY COLD AIR INTO THE REGION. AS THE COLD AIR FILTERS IN BEHIND THE FRONT... THE ONGOING RAIN WILL SWITCH OVER TO FREEZING RAIN SUNDAY NIGHT. THE FREEZING RAIN WILL THEN SWITCH OVER TO A MIX OF SLEET AND SNOW DURING THE DAY ON MONDAY.

AREAS WITHIN THE WATCH ARE EXPECTED TO RECEIVE ONE QUARTER TO ONE THIRD OF AN INCH OF ICE ACCUMULATION. MUCH OF THIS ICE IS EXPECTED TO ACCUMULATE BEFORE THE MORNING RUSH HOUR ON MONDAY. AN ADDITIONAL ONE QUARTER TO ONE HALF AN INCH OF SLEET ACCUMULATION IS EXPECTED ON TOP OF THE ICE AFTER THE TRANSITION FROM FREEZING RAIN TO SLEET.

SIGNIFICANT DISRUPTIONS TO TRAVEL ARE EXPECTED WITH THIS STORM. THE COMBINATION OF THE ICE AND GUSTY NORTHWEST WINDS COULD ALSO RESULT IN SCATTERED POWER OUTAGES.

THIS STORM IS EXPECTED TO WIND DOWN AND EXIT THE WATCH AREA DURING THE LATE AFTERNOON HOURS ON MONDAY.

Figured this might be issued...

Ok, in my professional opinion, freezing rain is no longer a concern for the St. Louis area. Models seem to indicate an extremely rapid cold temperature drop following midnight Sunday night, and no layer of warm air to keep the precip liquid till it hits the surface.

So I think we'll see a lot of rain, followed by an extremely quick drop in temperature (12C in 6 hours), with a bit of snowfall afterwards. Now roads outta be real icy still because all that rain will freeze up, but I don't anticipate a lot of damage associated with bad ice storms, like downed trees and powerlines.

MARQUETTE-GREEN LAKE-FOND DU LAC- SHEBOYGAN-SAUK-COLUMBIA-DODGE- WASHINGTON-OZAUKEE-IOWA-DANE-JEFFERSON- WAUKESHA-MILWAUKEE- LAFAYETTE-GREEN- ROCK-WALWORTH-RACINE-KENOSHA- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...MONTELLO... BERLIN...FOND DU LAC... SHEBOYGAN... BARABOO...PORTAGE...WISCONSIN DELLS... BEAVER DAM... WEST BEND...PORT WASHINGTON...DODGEVILLE...MADISON... JEFFERSON... LAKE MILLS...WAUKESHA... BROOKFIELD...MILWAUKEE...DARLINGTON... MONROE...JANESVILLE...BELOIT... ELKHORN...LAKE GENEVA...RACINE... KENOSHA 432 AM CST SUN DEC 14 2008
    ...STRONG COLD FRONT ARRIVES THIS EVENING...

A POWERFUL WINTER STORM SPREADING DANGEROUS BLIZZARD CONDITIONS TO A LARGE PORTION OF THE NORTHERN PLAINS TODAY THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT WILL TRACK ACROSS MINNESOTA AND NORTHWEST WISCONSIN...REACHING SOUTHERN CANADA ON MONDAY.

AN EXCEPTIONALLY STRONG COLD FRONT TRAILING FROM THE LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL BLAST THROUGH SOUTHERN WISCONSIN THIS EVENING. UNSEASONABLY MILD TEMPERATURES AHEAD OF THE FRONT THIS AFTERNOON WILL CLIMB INTO THE LOWER AND MID 40S. AS THE FRONT PASSES THROUGH...TEMPERATURES WILL FALL SWIFTLY INTO THE 20S AND EVENTUALLY SINGLE DIGITS AND TEENS BY MONDAY MORNING.

RAIN IS EXPECTED ALONG AND AHEAD OF THE FRONT. AS THE TEMPERATURES PLUMMET BEHIND THE FRONT...ANY RESIDUAL WATER OR SLUSHY CONDITIONS ON ROADS AND SIDEWALKS WILL FREEZE QUICKLY. MOTORISTS AND PEDESTRIANS SHOULD BE READY FOR THESE DEVELOPING HAZARDOUS CONDITIONS.

SOUTHERN WISCONSIN WILL THEN BE IN A DEEP FREEZE...WITH HIGHS ON MONDAY ONLY CLIMBING INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS AND TEENS. EXPECT WIND CHILL READINGS MONDAY MORNING BETWEEN ZERO AND 10 BELOW IN THE EAST ...AND 10 BELOW TO 20 BELOW ZERO IN THE WEST. WIND CHILL VALUES DURING THE DAY WILL BE BETWEEN 5 BELOW AND 15 BELOW ZERO.

Yay us!

I get to drive out to Hooterville on Monday to do some work.

I'll be toting extra gear.