Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Christmas menus... 
    please!!

It looks like I may cave in and acquiesce to my family's request that I host Christmas dinner. I have absolutely no idea what I will serve.

It looks like there will probably be about 14 people total...including one kid who is allergic to shellfish (there goes my easy idea of lobster tail, baked potato, and corn!)

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    please!!

It looks like I may cave in and acquiesce to my family's request that I host Christmas dinner. I have absolutely no idea what I will serve.

It looks like there will probably be about 14 people total...including one kid who is allergic to shellfish (there goes my easy idea of lobster tail, baked potato, and corn!)

Order one of those all inclusive turkey dinners and all of the fixings, pre cooked and delivered from an upscale super market in your area.Add a spiral sliced pre cooked ham, sweet potatoes ,a bucket of mashed white spuds,sweet spicy squash with several quarts of home made/store made gravy and three different pie's .A gallon of cider and several quarts of pre mixed cocktails and about four each bottles of good wine, red and white !Order lots of rolls from the bakery and have the desert course with cheese and sweet wine selected and delivered .
    30 Assorted Petite French Pastries -
    Lemon Meringue Pie,Chocolate Éclair,Fruit Tartlets
    Chocolate Mud Cake,Strawberry Cheesecake Tortes

Cookies and Cream Cheesecake,Pecan Pie, Chocolate Mud Cake
    Baileys Cheesecake,Granny Smith Apple Pie
    And lots of hot coffee .

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

Order one of those all inclusive turkey dinners and all of the fixings, pre cooked and delivered from an upscale super market in your area.Add a spiral sliced pre cooked ham, sweet potatoes ,a bucket of mashed white spuds,sweet spicy squash with several quarts of home made/store made gravy and three different pie's .A gallon of cider and several quarts of pre mixed cocktails and about four each bottles of good wine, red and white !Order lots of rolls from the bakery and have the desert course with cheese and sweet wine selected and delivered .
    30 Assorted Petite French Pastries -
    Lemon Meringue Pie,Chocolate Éclair,Fruit Tartlets
    Chocolate Mud Cake,Strawberry Cheesecake Tortes

Cookies and Cream Cheesecake,Pecan Pie, Chocolate Mud Cake
    Baileys Cheesecake,Granny Smith Apple Pie
    And lots of hot coffee .
    Hmmm....I was thinking pizza and hot wings.

You just had turkey so skip that. Go ultra-traditional: a medium rare roast beef or a goose (they aren't that hard to cook).

Serve mashed potatoes, gravy, glazed carrots and pearl onions, and some excellent parker house rolls.

Give them stuffed mushrooms, olives, and nice cheeses with crackers for starters. Get a decent wine.

Shovel some yule cake into them and send them home. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    Hmmm....I was thinking pizza and hot wings.
    On the feast of The Birth of the Savior?Pizza's for peon's and teen age kids !

Power CUer
    We're going to have big filets mignon with a blue cheese sauce. This might be more feasible for three people than for fourteen.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You just had turkey so skip that. Go ultra-traditional: a medium rare roast beef or a goose (they aren't that hard to cook).

Serve mashed potatoes, gravy, glazed carrots and pearl onions, and some excellent parker house rolls.

Give them stuffed mushrooms, olives, and nice cheeses with crackers for starters. Get a decent wine.

Shovel some yule cake into them and send them home. :)
    The roast beef might be doable. Now my sister says she's going to have it. Jeez I'd wish they'd make up their minds!

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    We're going to have big filets mignon with a blue cheese sauce. This might be more feasible for three people than for fourteen.
    Sauce Bernaise is more traditional with Fillet .Use the blue cheese dressing on your salad !.
    "Tell me what you eat, and I will tell you what you are."Jean Anthelme Brillat-Savarin .
    Steak Bernaise Chateau Brillat Savarin .

sauce:
    1/4 cup white wine vinegar
    1/4 cup good white wine
    1 large shallot minced
    3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon leaves, divided
    Sea salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    3 extra-large egg yolks*
    1/2 pound (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
    3 4-inch tenderloin about a whole large beef tenderloin .
    Olive Oil
    Coarsely ground black pepper
    Directions
    For the sauce, put the Champagne vinegar, white wine, shallots, 1 tablespoon tarragon leaves, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is reduced to a few tablespoons. Cool slightly.

Place the cooled mixture with the egg yolks and 1 teaspoon salt in the jar of a blender and blend for 30 seconds. With blender on, slowly pour the hot butter through the opening in the lid. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of tarragon leaves and blend only for a second. If the sauce is too thick, add a tablespoon of white wine to thin. Keep at room temperature until serving.

Note: To make the sauce in advance, prepare an hour before serving and allow it to sit in the blender. Before serving, add 1 tablespoon of the hottest tap water and blend for a few seconds.

We're doing a Prime Rib AND a Goose, both done on the water smoker. The goose will go under the prime rib, so the prime rib juice drips on it.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    We're doing a Prime Rib AND a Goose, both done on the water smoker. The goose will go under the prime rib, so the prime rib juice drips on it.
    Smoked Turkey using Water-Smoker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mNLlXRQ20I