Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Google Chrome is scanning your personal files 
    Power CUer
    Privacy outrage after Google users discover Chrome's built-in anti-virus tool is scanning private files on their computers without telling them
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...-computer.html
    Google users are sharing their shock at discovering Chrome's built-in anti-virus tool is scanning private files on their computers.

Chrome Cleanup Tool, a browser component added in 2014 to scan and remove malicious or resource heavy software, is behind the outcry.

It was originally an optional add on for Chrome, letting users get rid of malware and bloatware they may have unintentionally installed.

In October 2017, the Mountain View firm re-branded it and made it a compulsory part of the Chrome installation - without users' knowledge...

The discovery was made by Kelly Shortridge, a cybersecurity expert at New York based startup SecurityScorecard.

Ms Shortridge noticed that the tool was scanning files in a documents folder on her Windows PC and was concerned that it may be collecting data.

She shared her findings on Twitter, where she said: 'I was wondering why my Canarytoken (a file folder) was triggering and discovered the culprit was Chrome.

'Turns out Google Chrome quietly began performing AV scans on Windows devices last fall.'...

Scary stuff. I don't use Chrome and actually don't use Google--use Bing instead. Perhaps I might be a tad to mistrustful, but also don't do Facebook, have always been worried about privacy issues with them.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    I've been using the Brave browser on my main computer to see how it works, Chrome is still the handiest easiest to use browser but there are alternatives.
    I don't think we will ever get our privacy back even if you turn off your computer and your phone.
    http://www.conservativeunderground.c...h-Bitcoin-Tech
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

LOOK at who own Google and that should tell ya everything.
    FAR LEFT and he wantes to snoop, why do you think they do it?
    Break up GOOGLE NOW!
    Don
    Major US Army Infantry (RET)
    Hill Country of Texas

Conservative, Constitutionalist, Capitalist, Christian. I speak: John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere...

You can type the words 'hide' and 'gold' in any format...

It would take a very large group of people to isolate those keyword phishing-expeditions, then analyze them in a relative-to-the-present time in order to steal the hidden gold.

The snoops can't be smarter than the search-parameter. It defeats the purpose of snooping.

Do they snoop? Yeah. Do they have enough people to intrinsically act on collected data? Not for awhile. That's different from what FaceBook was doing, which was providing a smaller platform of victims to snoop on. Type the words 'hide' and 'gold' there and you're probably on someone's radar pretty immediately.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I've been using the Brave browser on my main computer to see how it works, Chrome is still the handiest easiest to use browser but there are alternatives.
    I don't think we will ever get our privacy back even if you turn off your computer and your phone.
    That's the sad part: you can't even opt out anymore. I was at church on Easter and some woman was trying to take a picture of the altar (with all the Easter flowers) on her phone. I happened to be in the periphery of her shot and moved out right away. All I need is for her to put that on Facebook and have their facial recognition software try to ID me.

Google users are sharing their shock at discovering Chrome's built-in anti-virus tool is scanning private files on their computers.

Chrome Cleanup Tool, a browser component added in 2014 to scan and remove malicious or resource heavy software, is behind the outcry.
    Ms Shortridge noticed that the tool was scanning files in a documents folder on her Windows PC and was concerned that it may be collecting data.
    'Turns out Google Chrome quietly began performing AV scans on Windows devices last fall.'
    Ummmmmmm ... that's what antivirus software does, regardless of who the vendor is. AV SW not only looks for files known to be virus files, but also scans "ordinary" files for virus components embedded in the file. Welcome to the real world, "Ms Shortridge"! And since this tool was added to Chrome in 2014, it's been doing its thing for some 4 years.

I've eliminated my use of Mozilla SW (Firefox) because of their hanging their CEO out to dry several years ago for daring to oppose same-sex marriage. I've been limiting my use of Google, for their anti-conservative tricks, the Damore thing, and, well, more. I use Duck Duck Go for searches and at home I use the Vivaldi browser.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    I've eliminated my use of Mozilla SW (Firefox) because of their hanging their CEO out to dry several years ago for daring to oppose same-sex marriage.
    The CEO that was hung by Mozilla is the guy that developed the Brave browser I just mentioned.
    https://www.brave.com/
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 04-05-2018 at 05:24 PM.
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Ummmmmmm ... that's what antivirus software does, regardless of who the vendor is. AV SW not only looks for files known to be virus files, but also scans "ordinary" files for virus components embedded in the file. Welcome to the real world, "Ms Shortridge"! And since this tool was added to Chrome in 2014, it's been doing its thing for some 4 years.

I've eliminated my use of Mozilla SW (Firefox) because of their hanging their CEO out to dry several years ago for daring to oppose same-sex marriage. I've been limiting my use of Google, for their anti-conservative tricks, the Damore thing, and, well, more. I use Duck Duck Go for searches and at home I use the Vivaldi browser.
    I have used DDG and its a shallow search engine, I hate using Goog, but in testing if it returns 100k hits DDG will return as few at 10k. I finally stopped using DDG as I do to much research and need the deep dives.

I would say for the average person DDG is a good if not excellent tool.
    Don
    Major US Army Infantry (RET)
    Hill Country of Texas

Conservative, Constitutionalist, Capitalist, Christian. I speak: John Wayne, Johnny Cash and John Deere...

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    The CEO that was hung by Mozilla is the guy that developed the Brave browser I just mentioned.
    https://www.brave.com/
    Then I will have to look it up.