Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 58% of Republicans are anti-higher education (NYT) 
    link

Coventina (17,301 posts)

58% of Republicans are anti-higher education (NYT)

Among both political parties, the chief reasons for losing faith in higher education are a cause for concern. Democrats cite college’s rising costs while Republicans, 58 percent of whom said that college has had a negative impact on society, think colleges are too ideological.

*snip*

The urban campus is described as having a “workaholic” vibe, and a running joke is that nobody looks twice at a student walking around campus in a suit. Chaitri Gulati, a third-year student at Northeastern, was drawn to the school because of the Co-op program, and because “sitting in class would not just be for the sake of taking examinations and intellectual enrichment.”

*snip*

A recent poll conducted by Northeastern and Gallup found that only 37 percent of workers said that if they lost their job to a machine they would turn to a college or university for retraining. Mr. Aoun hopes to lure more of those potential students.

Link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/05/e...=headline&te=1

It's official: Americans (particularly Republicans) are mouth-breathing idiots and proud of it.
    Surprise, surprise!! Colleges and Universities have become liberal indoctrination centers where only the liberal ideology is allowed. Don't believe it? What happens when a conservative speaker comes to campus? Near riots if not outright riots. If they don't tout and make social justice their mission then they bow to their demands no matter how outrageous. It is they who appear to set the tone for the college, not the administration.

And the cost of it has exploded, along with student loan debt, even as they are offering majors with little value after graduating, so that students graduate with a job at Starbucks.

And then they are shocked!! and disparaging that conservatives don't see higher education outside of STEM and a few other majors as necessary.

Thomas Hurt (1,444 posts)

1. If you are ignorant you are less likely to know the value of your labor and more gullible.

The more ignorant, the easier you are to control. Just what the fascists want.
    Not having a college education does not make you 'ignorant' or 'gullible'. Not going to the liberal indoctrination center means one person who escaped the indoctrination.

smirkymonkey (30,376 posts) 2. Wow. This is just really sad.

They believe the whole purpose of an education is simply to produce industry fodder.
    Then don't complain when you graduate and earn $10 an hour at McDonalds or Starbucks. And don't demand that because they have a degree that they MUST earn a 'living wage'.

Sophia4 (2,123 posts)

4. The "Founding Fathers" were well educated men of the Enlightenment.

The Constitution is the result of their intellects working together.

The adoration of ignorance that is so common in our country today is what is wrong.

Whether the topic is racism or sexism or healthcare, no matter what it is, ignorance is the underlying problem.

When I lived in Europe, the academic achievements of candidates for office were part of the campaign information. Here, it sometimes is and sometimes isn't.

What was Trump's GPA? How did he do on the SATs? (If he took them.)

These are things we should all know.

Education is important. Sorry, guys, but it is.
    Where are Obama's college records? Oh, yea, he refused to show them. He even refused to show evidence that he was a US citizen when it was questioned. There was a bio about him that he had to have approved that said he was born in Africa.

Matthew28 (1,212 posts)

5. So pretty much

The republican base believes everyone should be serfs and don't believe in producing more scientist, doctors, engineers, mba's, etc. So pretty much they want us to be ruled by an elite that passes their money from generation to generation and everyone can be dumber then dirt.

Anyone that would vote for such a party wants us to become a third world shit hole.
    They never said that. And what percentage of kids come out with those degrees and what percentage come out with degrees that do not give them job skills?

Blue_true (4,412 posts)

6. They need to maintain their base. nt
    So say the bigots.

No, DU-morons! Rs and conservatives oppose the hijacking of colleges and universities to promote political agendas!
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Higher Education can no longer get it up.
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

When it comes to humanities studies and all the identity politics majors I am against higher eduction. When it comes to engineering, mathematics or science studies I'm all for higher education. I use to be a fan of the humanities until it was destroyed by the liberals and post modernists. Now it is a course of liberal indoctrination.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    When it comes to humanities studies and all the identity politics majors I am against higher eduction. ... I use to be a fan of the humanities until it was destroyed by the liberals and post modernists. Now it is a course of liberal indoctrination.
    That isn't higher education, it's educational malpractice. In principle the Liberal Arts could become education again, but right now it looks more like a self-destructive death spiral.
    I support UNexit: Get the US out of the UN; Get the UN out of the US!

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    That isn't higher education, it's educational malpractice. In principle the Liberal Arts could become education again, but right now it looks more like a self-destructive death spiral.
    It's amazing that the parents of these malcontents allow themselves or their children to rack up tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in school loan debts for degrees that qualify them for two jobs, teaching in the majored field of study or flipping burgers and waitressing. I just don't see how there can be that many available Feminist Studies professorships available each year.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    It's amazing that the parents of these malcontents allow themselves or their children to rack up tens or even hundreds of thousands of dollars in school loan debts for degrees that qualify them for two jobs, teaching in the majored field of study or flipping burgers and waitressing. I just don't see how there can be that many available Feminist Studies professorships available each year.
    A similar riff from Archer:
    Not PTArmigan. Just Anti Anti-gun.

Or more accurately, 58% of Republicans realize that modern higher ed generally provides an incredibly shitty ROI and spends 'way too much time and effort on useless, even destructive, social indoctrination.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    Or more accurately, 58% of Republicans realize that modern higher ed generally provides an incredibly shitty ROI and spends 'way too much time and effort on useless, even destructive, social indoctrination.
    Matthew28 (1,212 posts)

5. So pretty much

The republican base believes everyone should be serfs and don't believe in producing more scientist, doctors, engineers, mba's, etc. So pretty much they want us to be ruled by an elite that passes their money from generation to generation and everyone can be dumber then dirt.

Anyone that would vote for such a party wants us to become a third world shit hole.
    And the dems want to overload us with uneducated, unskilled illegals to work for sub standard wages and working conditions. not to mention the welfare burden to society they pose.
    A degree in some feel good useless field will not get you ahead in life. Instead of college there are plenty of good paying fields a tech school education can qualify you for.
    I love the sound of liberal heads exploding in the morning!!

Toxically masculine and proud of it!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens.

When student governments impeach conservative students, it's obvious how effective the years of brainwashing actually is...