1. #1 The Decline and Fall of Sociology 
    Power CUer
    Written by a working sociologist and college professor who has great concern for the field in the age of PC.

The Decline and Fall of Sociology
    By Anne Hendershott
    Professor of Sociology and Director of the Veritas Center for Ethics in Public Life at Franciscan University of Steubenville, Ohio
    https://www.mindingthecampus.org/201...-of-sociology/

...Having developed into an ideology, instead of a study of ideology, sociology has become what the late sociologist Irving Louis Horowitz described as: “a gathering of individuals who have special agendas, from gay and lesbian rights to liberation theology.” In his 1994 book, The Decomposition of Sociology, Horowitz writes: “any notion of a common democratic culture has become suspect. Ideologists masked as sociologists attack the very notion of a universal scientific base as a dangerous form of bourgeois objectivism, or worse, as an imperialist pretention. High crime rates were seen only as an expression of capitalist disintegration, and criminal behavior became a covert expression of revolutionary action.”

...In one of the first sociology texts, Emile Durkheim warned that moral unity could be assured only if all members of a society were anchored to some common assumptions about the world around them. Durkheim knew that without these assumptions, a society was bound to degenerate and decay. The function of society is to constitute a regulative force, setting limits on individual actions—recognizing that deviance is an integral part of all societies because it affirms cultural norms and values. Durkheim realized that it is impossible for any society to be free of deviance—even a “society of saints” will have its sinners—and deviance will always be present in every society at about the same rate.

As sociology has become balkanized along political lines, driven by an expanding number of interest groups, Horowitz predicted the discipline itself would become a “series of demands for correct politics rather than a set of studies of social culture.” He was right. There are now 52 sections of the American Sociological Association (ASA), each one devoted to a particular subfield that has almost nothing in common with other subfields. Many have become advocacy groups like the sections on “Sex and Gender,” and a separate section on “Race, Gender and Class.” The section on “Economic Sociology,” has little in common with the one on “Marxist Sociology” and shares nothing with the section on “Inequality, Poverty, and Mobility.”...

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    We never had none of that sociology in Oklahoma!
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    We never had none of that sociology in Oklahoma!
    Which explains why you are the least sociable people on the planet
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    We like it that way!

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Now wait just a cotton picking second there. Okla is almost as friendly as W Texas - Note I said W Texas, I find Dallas, Houston and Austin to all have their noses so far in the air it's a wonder they can breathe.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Now wait just a cotton picking second there. Okla is almost as friendly as W Texas - Note I said W Texas, I find Dallas, Houston and Austin to all have their noses so far in the air it's a wonder they can breathe.
    Irony or coincidence???

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...tbrook-remarks

The*Oklahoma City Thunder*said play-by-play announcer Brian Davis used "offensive and inappropriate" words when he said during Wednesday's broadcast that*Russell Westbrook*was "out of his cotton-pickin' mind."

The phrase "out of his cotton-pickin' mind," which loosely means "crazy," had its origins in describing workers who harvested cotton crops in the South and is often perceived as derogatory, with racial overtones. It set off a firestorm on social media.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Well kiss my grits!

Itís funny as hell as there were twice as many white cotton pickers as there were black (plus tan, yellow, green and purple)
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

When you live in a society that has traditionally celebrated individual rights and freedoms, there is going to be a lot of deviance from center as far as religion, values, politics, and culture are concerned. When the one common value is individualism, the center is going to be a lot smaller than in a society that values conformity (China, for example).