View Poll Results: Did you vote for evil oil or protecting the caribou?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to drill now and cut dependence on foreign oil.

154 95.06%
  • Nooo, never, they might destroy the environment.

8 4.94%
  • Haven't decided yet.

0 0%

Thread: Drill Now?? Yes/No

Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Loogie View Post
    I can think of more specific reasons (which may have been mentioned somewhere in this thread already) for drilling on our own soil.
    If supply is cut off from the middle east (or from outside our shores) we can divert oil exclusively to ourselves.

If the middle east were to explode in all-out war, we would still have resources available.

Another reason is that American companies would profit rather than our enemies.

"Energy independence" means we find ways of producing our own energy, and that includes finding our own oil.

I am not a "green," but I love the idea of a multi-faceted market-based solution to our issues. Drill for our own oil, nuclear power, solar, wind, biofuels (done reasonably, of course), electric cars (I would love to have one for getting around town), geothermal, coal, natural gas, "depolymerization" technology, fuel cells, etc.
    I look around my neighborhood and wonder how much less energy we would use if every home had a small 10'x10' solar panel on the roof...and a small windmill? And really good insulation?

One piece of the puzzle isn't enough, but add them all up and we could make a pretty big dent in the issue.
    I don't mind if the government helps the issue along by inspiring market competition via awarding contracts to the most innovative, realistic and affordable products/solutions. How about a 10-year plan? I am not encouraging the government to mandate things, but having our tax dollars provide a stick and a big juicy carrot--it would be an optional pursuit for a company, not mandatory.
    I am not talking about dumb legislation such as barely-attainable CAFE or pollution standards, but truly attainable goals.

What pisses me off is that liberals whine about the issue, and when solutions are offered they whine "NO!"
    Drill for oil? NO! Nuclear? NO! Coal? NO! Solar? NO! Windmills? "NO! It spoils my view of the harbor..."

Liberal: I have an idea! Lets stifle our businesses by mandating unreachable goals and demonizing the "evil corporation", and the penalize them for not reaching the goals...and re-distribute that money to the poor! And lets demonize them more when they move their operations out of America!

America has always been amazing innovators. We have been to the moon!
    We should unleash the beast, and fix this problem.
    Very good post that goes beyond the traditional conservative/lib argument. It's sensible and gets why we need to develop our independence from oils from the Middle East.
    Thanks for posting this.

BTW here is the latest update on the Newt petition drive. If you haven't signed it yet, please do if you agree. We need to make our voices heard. Remember Laura Ingraham's motto, "Power to the People". Here's our chance to make our wishes known.

And please note our informal CU poll is now 52-3 in favor of drilling.

Join the 1,286,129 people who have signed the petition.
    Last edited by SaintLouieWoman; 07-06-2008 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    Which will determine whether a well pumps or not. The more you drive down price the fewer wells will pump oil.

We have already cut our yearly miles driven by 16 billion. That's conservation. How did I need any luck? Conservation is going to happen whether you like it or not. The only question begged is why you are so resistant to it?
    !
    I can't validate the 16 billion you quote but I can tell you that the US population has cut the requirement for oil by nearly,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1%. We sure are doing our part.
    Here's the rub. That oil isn't sitting around waiting for the USA to use when we need it, it got sold to the Chinese and/or India.

Our conservation as a nation will not improve our plight. China buys oil in US dollars. Those dollars spend the same way for them as us. The oil we don't buy gets bought by other countries. :(

I would also like for you to explain why oil companies would spend billions to develop older fields then intentionally create a situation that will force them to shut them down. Your contention that it is the oil industries desire to bankrupt itself just so you can have cheap oil is ridiculous.
    For that to even be a reality you would have to believe that oil would magically decrese in price. By the time additional oil is found, the cost of exploration and development has to be paid. The oil companies are run like any other big business.

So liberals are keeping you from putting up solar panels. None stopped me nor did they prevent me from adding insulation to my house, nor a radiant barrier, nor triple pane windows, nor buying a hybrid for both my daughter and wife. And since all of this came from evil corporations just how have I demonized them?

I do love the way you made it seem you cons are behind the push for alternative energy. I got a good laugh from that one!
    I didn't state that liberals are preventing an individual from placing solar panels or insulating their home.
    Don't put words in my mouth, fucktard.
    Funny article I found illustrating liberal policies:
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.p...w&pageId=63234

What liberal enviro-Nazis do, such as Ted Kennedy, is bitch about global warming but complain when someone wants to install a wind farm off the coast of the drunkard's summer home--it might wreck his view, after all.
    http://www.boston.com/news/globe/edi..._by_the_rules/

I must have made a pretty good point overall, because you certainly didn't address the other items that irk liberal-morons.

An encore liberal impersonation:

Solar? NO! You might kill a tree!!!!
    Wind? NO! Birds will become extinct!!! (and it will wreck my pretty view)
    Nuclear? NO! Too dangerous (though we worship and kiss the ass of the elite Euros for their amazing culture and non-polluting ways).
    Oil? NO! It might spill or something, and it won't help, and it will make the evil corporations money (I don't care if it employs Americans, I just hate oil).
    Coal? NO! it might hurt some land or something, and releases too much CO2!
    Raise taxes! YESSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!! We can change behavior, and force everyone to happily live in little grass huts and bury their feces in a little hole (wouldn't want to waste water!)...and we can use that money to help out the poor!

Did I miss any?

Thanks for the compliment, SLW!!! I am a sucker for compliments from the Greyt one!

Loogie
    Last edited by Loogie; 07-07-2008 at 12:01 PM.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Bumping for Drilling Goodness.

:D

It's now 54 for, 3 for drilling. If any of you haven't voted in our CU poll yet, please do. I'm going to try to send this to Rush or Hannity soon.

Please note that the # of signatures on Newt's petition is now over 1,300,000. If you haven't signed, please do. I think things are turning around. Let's help.

Join the 1,302,156 people who have signed the petition.

Super Moderator Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    If there is no such thing as cheap oil then why did Texas oil fields shut down during the 80ís and there is a rush to pump now? It is one thing to spend millions to get millions and another to spend millions in the hope of getting hundreds of thousands. Yes, there is such a thing as cheap and expensive oil. We have only extracted 20% of our oil and to get the bulk of the rest oil is going to have to remain very, very expensive.
    Except that is NOT the way you used the term. You used it in this context:
    "Also a simple fact is that if cheap oil hitís the market more expensive oil will be withdrawn thereby pushing prices back up."
    The price of oil is NOT very much a function of the cost to drill for it. Of course it is a factor but by FAR the major factor of the price right now is that there is a lack of supply when compared to the demand. The price of oil is far above the cost to recover it - even the hardest to recover reserves.

Back in the 1980's Reagan released nearly all the regulations on oil here domestically and the price dropped almost immediately from $38 per barrell to $11. The same thing would happen today - execept the drop would be even more dramatic if we allowed the oil companies to go after the shale in the rockies and all of the other areas.

If we simply allowed the Proven reserves off the coasts, the conventional reserves and the reserves in Alaska to be developed those would provide between 3.5 & 4 million barrels per day of production - that would boost domestic production by 50%. If you added the shale to the mix we could dwarf the production in the middle east.

THere is simply no good reason not to go after the oil we have. NONE.

And that has been my point all along. Anyone who thinks that oil companies are going to invest billions in order to drive down the price of oil is a complete fool. They aren’t going to do it which is why you will never see a flood of oil hit the market. This of course begs the question of just why we are salivating to drill in these areas when it will not have a positive impact on our wallets. If there is nothing in it for us what's the point?

Really??? The market has ALWAYS acted in this way. High prices bring new players to the market and also brings up production from the existing players who are trying to capitalize on those high prices. The increased supply will indeed bring down prices and there will be an oil bust. Just like there ALWAYS has been. Should we cite a history of the various oil booms and busts??

If there is nothing in it for us,and if the oil companies are not willing to drill, why are the oil companies BEGGING to be able to go after the areas under discussion???

Answer: Because you are full of shit. There are profits to be made in going after those areas. Profits at prices FAR less than the current price. They know that and they want to be able to capture those profits - are you THAT unfamiliar with how the market has ALWAYS worked??
    Last edited by Constitutionally Speaking; 07-09-2008 at 07:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Loogie View Post
    I can think of more specific reasons (which may have been mentioned somewhere in this thread already) for drilling on our own soil.
    If supply is cut off from the middle east (or from outside our shores) we can divert oil exclusively to ourselves.

If the middle east were to explode in all-out war, we would still have resources available.

Another reason is that American companies would profit rather than our enemies.

"Energy independence" means we find ways of producing our own energy, and that includes finding our own oil.
    I am not a "green," but I love the idea of a multi-faceted market-based solution to our issues. Drill for our own oil, nuclear power, solar, wind, biofuels (done reasonably, of course), electric cars (I would love to have one for getting around town), geothermal, coal, natural gas, "depolymerization" technology, fuel cells, etc.
    I look around my neighborhood and wonder how much less energy we would use if every home had a small 10'x10' solar panel on the roof...and a small windmill? And really good insulation?

One piece of the puzzle isn't enough, but add them all up and we could make a pretty big dent in the issue.
    I don't mind if the government helps the issue along by inspiring market competition via awarding contracts to the most innovative, realistic and affordable products/solutions. How about a 10-year plan? I am not encouraging the government to mandate things, but having our tax dollars provide a stick and a big juicy carrot--it would be an optional pursuit for a company, not mandatory.
    I am not talking about dumb legislation such as barely-attainable CAFE or pollution standards, but truly attainable goals.

What pisses me off is that liberals whine about the issue, and when solutions are offered they whine "NO!"
    Drill for oil? NO! Nuclear? NO! Coal? NO! Solar? NO! Windmills? "NO! It spoils my view of the harbor..."

Liberal: I have an idea! Lets stifle our businesses by mandating unreachable goals and demonizing the "evil corporation", and the penalize them for not reaching the goals...and re-distribute that money to the poor! And lets demonize them more when they move their operations out of America!

America has always been amazing innovators. We have been to the moon!
    We should unleash the beast, and fix this problem.

How could ANYONE disagree??

You NAILED it.

Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    How could ANYONE disagree??

You NAILED it.
    Because Dangit, Liberals unite behind: "Damn the Facts, Full Stupid Ahead!"