View Poll Results: Did you vote for evil oil or protecting the caribou?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll
  • I want to drill now and cut dependence on foreign oil.

    154 95.06%
  • Nooo, never, they might destroy the environment.

    8 4.94%
  • Haven't decided yet.

    0 0%
Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 250
  1. #41  
    Timed Out
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
    So your plan is to keep the status quo with Americans paying more and more for oil coming from non-domestic sources instead of using what we have here while these alternate energy sources are developed.
    Since the price I pay is irrelevant to its source why does the source matter?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #42  
    Senior Member hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TehYuk
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Thanks for signing. Newt is one of the best minds in Washington. This proves that people are listening and fed up with business as usual. If anyone else agrees, would appreciate your looking at this petition. :)

    It's gone up 40,000 signatures since last night. It's getting very close to that million mark. It should make those politicians sit up and take notice.

    Update, it's just gone over the million mark, 1,000,222 when I last checked. Let's go for that next million. :D
    Excellent thread, well done SLW for posting it.

    The poll itself is such a no brainer.

    We need to drill, drill, drill to buy ourselves enough time to develop scalabliity for the new solutions already available.

    Anyone who really wants blackouts, high gas prices and dependencies on hostile regimes, they can vote against it.

    Me, I'm in love with the petroleum age, and I don't want it to end.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #43  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,493
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Excellent thread, well done SLW for posting it.

    The poll itself is such a no brainer.

    We need to drill, drill, drill to buy ourselves enough time to develop scalabliity for the new solutions already available.

    Anyone who really wants blackouts, high gas prices and dependencies on hostile regimes, they can vote against it.

    Me, I'm in love with the petroleum age, and I don't want it to end.
    Thanks. The folks who want the blackouts, higher gas prices and dependencies on the Middle East probably were Jimmy Carter supporters. Even in more liberal California, 59% of the people are in favor of more offshore drilling off the California coast.

    http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=6214070
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #44  
    Timed Out
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Thanks. The folks who want the blackouts, higher gas prices and dependencies on the Middle East probably were Jimmy Carter supporters. Even in more liberal California, 59% of the people are in favor of more offshore drilling off the California coast.

    http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?se...cal&id=6214070
    Blackouts! 1.6% of electrical generation is dependent on petroleum. Do you honestly think this amount of dependency will lead to blackouts? Are you nuts? And why is it no one will address the issue that more drilling will not lead to lower prices. The US does not dictate demand anymore and price is set by the world, not US, market.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #45  
    Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,301
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    Blackouts! 1.6% of electrical generation is dependent on petroleum. Do you honestly think this amount of dependency will lead to blackouts? Are you nuts? And why is it no one will address the issue that more drilling will not lead to lower prices. The US does not dictate demand anymore and price is set by the world, not US, market.

    Because increasing supply WILL lead to lower prices. WHy would it not Peter??
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #46  
    Timed Out
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by Constitutionally Speaking View Post
    Because increasing supply WILL lead to lower prices. WHy would it not Peter??
    In Texas we have a surplus of oil and yet we pay only a few penny's below national average. Why?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #47  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,493
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    In Texas we have a surplus of oil and yet we pay only a few penny's below national average. Why?
    Because OPEC still calls the shots on the price of crude. If we have more control of it, there's a better chance of the price going down. If there is a plentiful supply, the law of supply and demand should take hold.

    Remember Bubba Clinton's "It's the economy, stupid". Newt's "Drill here, drill now, pay less" is beautiful in its message. It succinctly appeals to folks from all walks of life.

    It's sort of catchy, like that eternal "CHANGE, CHANGE, HOPE" thingy.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #48  
    Timed Out
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    272
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Because OPEC still calls the shots on the price of crude. If we have more control of it, there's a better chance of the price going down. If there is a plentiful supply, the law of supply and demand should take hold.

    Remember Bubba Clinton's "It's the economy, stupid". Newt's "Drill here, drill now, pay less" is beautiful in its message. It succinctly appeals to folks from all walks of life.

    It's sort of catchy, like that eternal "CHANGE, CHANGE, HOPE" thingy.
    It appeals to simpletons, morons, and those who refuse to think for themselves. To drive down the price of oil supply would have to exceed demand. This means that you don’t replace OPEC oil but add to it. The 64 million dollar question is why would the oil giants spend billions to create a glut in one area while there is supply scarcity in another area? Why on earth would you work to sell oil for a lower price in one area when you can do nothing and sell it for a higher price in another?

    You got the “stupid” part right but little else…
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #49  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,493
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    It appeals to simpletons, morons, and those who refuse to think for themselves. To drive down the price of oil supply would have to exceed demand. This means that you don’t replace OPEC oil but add to it. The 64 million dollar question is why would the oil giants spend billions to create a glut in one area while there is supply scarcity in another area? Why on earth would you work to sell oil for a lower price in one area when you can do nothing and sell it for a higher price in another?

    You got the “stupid” part right but little else
    Won't dignify this with further comment. No use for the snotty comments.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #50  
    Senior Member jeskibuff's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterS View Post
    Demand is world wide and price set by the international market. What is the purpose of attempting to gain oil independence when the price we pay is unchanged? What exactly are you attempting to achieve and at what price?
    Is this a trick question or what?

    You failed to mention the OTHER element that determines the "price set by the international market": SUPPLY.

    When you increase supply, that usually decreases the price. Also, since the price of a barrel of oil nowadays is influenced more by speculators than by the actual supply, knowing that tomorrow's oil is not as subject to the whims of a limited number of Middle Eastern whackos should help to drop the price on the commodities market. Increasing our capability to supply our own needs will not only help achieve that energy independence, but it WILL reduce what we pay per barrel.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •