Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Once I saw that the Southern Poverty Law Center was referenced as a valid source of data in the article the whole thing lost all credibility in my mind
    And the linked article was from Newspeak.

I wonder how many members of DU's AfAm forum believe that the Holocaust was a hoax or vastly exaggerated.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by movie buff View Post
    1. As some of the repliers have noted, that poll can be incredibly misleading, for a number of reasons. One thing that particularly sticks out for me is that it seems not so much that they doubt the Holocaust happened, but merely that they don't think it's death toll was as high as reported. Still a false conclusion, but not as egregious of one as flat- out denying it happened.
    2. For those who indicated they didn't believe in those death figures, there's one thing the DUmmies seem to be avoiding in order to badmouth conservatives/ Trump- supporters: How many of those who denied the death figure were Muslims?
    Many Muslims (Aka a group whose anti- Semitism rivals if not exceeds that of what you might find on sites like Stormfront) are taught by their parents and religious leaders that the Holocaust never happened at all, and the Jews just made it up for attention/ sympathy. If I remember right, some years ago, Muslim groups in England openly protested against schools teaching their kids about the Holocaust for that reason.

I think WWII in general does not receive the attention in history classes that it did when I was in school (1970s and early 80s). I had a teacher or two who were WWII vets-one a Hungarian Army Vet, who was captured by the Germans and spent time in a concentration camp (and escaped later from the Soviets by crawling under the Iron Curtain). There is nothing like real-life witnesses.

Kids don't read the same books that they did when I was a kid. I read The Diary of Anne Frank when I was about 8, I checked it out of the library and read it on my own, because a teacher recommended it to me. Few kids read that anymore. I read The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom when I was around 11. At the time it was published (mid 70s), it had a pretty wide readership, but is now probably considered "Christian" literature.

If kids aren't getting taught about history, they are more prone to believe the conspiracy theory bullshit that they find online. The US were heroes in WWII, as were the British.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I think WWII in general does not receive the attention in history classes that it did when I was in school (1970s and early 80s). I had a teacher or two who were WWII vets-one a Hungarian Army Vet, who was captured by the Germans and spent time in a concentration camp (and escaped later from the Soviets by crawling under the Iron Curtain). There is nothing like real-life witnesses.

Kids don't read the same books that they did when I was a kid. I read The Diary of Anne Frank when I was about 8, I checked it out of the library and read it on my own, because a teacher recommended it to me. Few kids read that anymore. I read The Hiding Place by Corrie ten Boom when I was around 11. At the time it was published (mid 70s), it had a pretty wide readership, but is now probably considered "Christian" literature.

If kids aren't getting taught about history, they are more prone to believe the conspiracy theory bullshit that they find online. The US were heroes in WWII, as were the British.
    WW2 got short shrift in History classes in the late 60s and early 70s as well. Most of what I know of WW2 is from my own reading. There are practical limits to how deeply school History classes can go into such things, but in school I think I got pretty much nothing at all. For that matter, I'm not sure any US or World History class I had got much into the 20th Century.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    WW2 got short shrift in History classes in the late 60s and early 70s as well. Most of what I know of WW2 is from my own reading. There are practical limits to how deeply school History classes can go into such things, but in school I think I got pretty much nothing at all. For that matter, I'm not sure any US or World History class I had got much into the 20th Century.
    The same goes for me. And from reading their posts, I'll bet that, if they were around in 1930's Germany, today's DUmbasses would have been out there with the rest of the good little Nazis, going to the party rallies and burning down the synagogues on Kristallnacht.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.

I was born two months after Pearl Harbor. I grew up knowing and conversing with WW I & II and Korea vets. I can guarantee you any one who went to the public school much after the mid to late 60s got very little if any real knowledge of any of those three.
    Along with that failure to teach came the anti military of the VN era and those who valued the knowledge either were afraid to let it be known or were in no position to put it out there other than in close family or neighbor environments.
    That situation is one of the heavy influencers that are leading the country into oblivion.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    IIRC, our college U.S. history core courses were 1776 to 1865, and 1865 to 1945. There were separate courses dedicated to post WWII and pre Revolutionary War for history majors or minors.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Few kids read anymore Noon. This is why we're getting my daughters excited about books early.
    The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.

ProudLib72 (8,569 posts)

17. I was showing a power point in my class on Thursday

There were pics of Albert Einstein and Joseph Stalin. I asked the class who they were. No one recognized Einstein and only one person recognized Stalin. Mind you, this was a college class. I feel like I'm losing the ability to communicate with younger students because they don't have a concept of history. Anything before 1990 is old, boring, and inconsequential to them.

It blows me away that Nazi Germany kept excellent records of whom they killed. All those names, dates, locations; and people still don't believe it. It's a sickness.
    I bet they know how many mommies Heather has.
    Not PTArmigan. Just Anti Anti-gun.

Power CUer
    Kids don't read the same books that they did when I was a kid.
    This is very true. I will mention book titles to the 20-something set and they will look at me quizzically. I remember the Diary of Anne Frank from 7th grade--required reading for us. I also remember discussions of the Holocaust in history class. We had some excellent history classes in high school. One of our teachers was a retired army colonel who had his own perspectives on WWII and Korea.