Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Artificial Sweeteners Linked to Increased Diabetes Risk 
    Power CUer
    Note: The sucralose mentioned in the article below is sold under the brand name "Splenda".

Artificial Sweeteners Linked to Metabolic Syndrome; Increases Diabetes Risk
    http://www.thedailysheeple.com/artif...es-risk_042018

The latest such study, conducted by researchers from George Washington University in Washington, D.C., and presented in March at the 100th annual meeting of the Endocrine Society in Chicago, Illinois, found a close link between the consumption of artificial sweeteners and metabolic syndrome.

The group of conditions known as metabolic syndrome is diagnosed when a person exhibits insulin resistance, elevated “bad” cholesterol levels, high blood pressure, and an increased risk of blood clots. It is usually diagnosed in people who are overweight or obese and who carry a lot of weight around their bellies. Also known as dysmetabolic syndrome, insulin resistance syndrome or syndrome X, metabolic syndrome causes an elevated risk of cardiovascular disease, heart attacks and strokes. It also raises the risk of developing diabetes by between three and five times (300% to 500% relative risk increase).

“Our stem cell-based studies indicate that low-calorie sweeteners promote additional fat accumulation within cells compared with cells not exposed to these substances, in a dose-dependent fashion — meaning that as the dose of sucralose is increased more cells showed increased fat droplet accumulation,” said Sabyasachi Sen, an associate professor of Medicine at George Washington University in Washington, D.C. “This most likely occurs by increasing glucose entry into cells through increased activity of genes called glucose transporters,” as reported by Science Daily....

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    A small glass of Wild Turkey each day keeps the doctor away. I think many of these common illnesses are simply genetic and passed on to each generation, and a lot of people have a lot less tolerance for certain things search as cancer and many other ailments. Myself I'm ornery and only seem to have a lot of joint and spine problems which my Mother also has been afflicted with. Now if I can only kick that Jimmy Dean sausage and egg croissant habit.

Splenda tastes awful. I'm sticking with Aspartame in my Diet Coke and sugar in all my baking.

Some soft drinks contain a small amount of phosphoric acid in them for tartness. It is FDA approved.

I was given a somewhat rusty but very good handsaw. I looked on line for a method of removing the rust without ruining the etching on the blade.

One suggestion I found was to create or find some type of container to accommodate the saws length and soak it in Coca-Cola for a few days and let the phosphoric acid help remove the rust. The individual posted before, during and after the process. Quite amazing.

I'm happy I stopped drinking soft drinks a long time ago.
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Splenda tastes awful. I'm sticking with Aspartame in my Diet Coke and sugar in all my baking.
    Isn't aspartame associated with brain cancers?

I believe the article was referencing all artificial sweeteners and that Splenda was just an example.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I believe the article was referencing all artificial sweeteners and that Splenda was just an example.

They will peel my Diet Coke from my cold, dead hands!

Power CUer
    They will peel my Diet Coke from my cold, dead hands!

Speaking as a diabetic, I struggle with sweetners. Splenda is the only one I can tolerate. Aspartame gives me headaches, stevia has an after taste that rivals saccharine, and saccharine, well.
    The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Speaking as a diabetic, I struggle with sweetners. Splenda is the only one I can tolerate. Aspartame gives me headaches, stevia has an after taste that rivals saccharine, and saccharine, well.
    Have you noticed any other side effects?