Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Italian Wedding Soup 
    It was cold last nite so I thought a nice soup was called for. The only pain in the ass is rolling all them little meatballs! Went great with grilled cheese sandwiches!

I used baby spinach and added carrots too.

Ingredients
    Meatballs:
    1 small onion, grated
    1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    8 ounces ground beef
    8 ounces ground pork
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Soup:
    12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped (1 pound of escarole would be a good substitution)
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    To make the meatballs: Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.

Time consuming, but worth it!

To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.

Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Looks delicious! Did you use spinach instead of the endive/escarole?

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Oh Man. I've only had the canned variety of this soup and I love it.

That recipe is now in my collection and I printed it out because I will make it soon.

Thanks P45. You sir are a star. :D
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

I had some homemade a couple days ago. It was pretty dang good. Something about the mini meatballs though,not bad just different.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    It was cold last nite so I thought a nice soup was called for. The only pain in the ass is rolling all them little meatballs! Went great with grilled cheese sandwiches!

I used baby spinach and added carrots too.

Ingredients
    Meatballs:
    1 small onion, grated
    1/3 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
    1 large egg
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 teaspoon salt
    1 slice fresh white bread, crust trimmed, bread torn into small pieces
    1/2 cup grated Parmesan
    8 ounces ground beef
    8 ounces ground pork
    Freshly ground black pepper
    Soup:
    12 cups low-sodium chicken broth
    1 pound curly endive, coarsely chopped (1 pound of escarole would be a good substitution)
    2 large eggs
    2 tablespoon freshly grated Parmesan, plus extra for garnish
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    Directions
    To make the meatballs: Stir the first 6 ingredients in a large bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese, beef and pork. Using 1 1/2 teaspoons for each, shape the meat mixture into 1-inch-diameter meatballs. Place on a baking sheet.

Time consuming, but worth it!

To make the soup: Bring the broth to a boil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and curly endive and simmer until the meatballs are cooked through and the curly endive is tender, about 8 minutes. Whisk the eggs and cheese in a medium bowl to blend. Stir the soup in a circular motion. Gradually drizzle the egg mixture into the moving broth, stirring gently with a fork to form thin stands of egg, about 1 minute. Season the soup to taste with salt and pepper.

Ladle the soup into bowls and serve. Finish soup with parmesan cheese if desired.

Serve with grilled cheese sandwiches!

Next time go to BJ'S or Costco and buy a couple of bags of either frozen turkey meat balls or beef and just slice them in half and reform into mini balls .Also pickup a jar of chicken soup base and stir into the broth about two table spoons .It will make it much richer !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Next time go to BJ'S or Costco and buy a couple of bags of either frozen turkey meat balls or beef and just slice them in half and reform into mini balls .Also pickup a jar of chicken soup base and stir into the broth about two table spoons .It will make it much richer !
    Do not try this recipe with store bought meatballs!! :eek:

More then half the flavor is making your own meatballs, try it my way once and see the difference!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

The only thing I would change is to use real chicken broth instead of store-bought. When I prepare this I make chicken soup. I use the broth and I also add a little bit of shredded chicken into the soup.
    I like to keep the meatballs the main part of the dish so the rest of the chicken I dice up for a chicken salad.
    Also, I use escarole, spinach or swiss chard instead of endive.
    Try this...it tastes SO much better than store bought chicken stock/broth. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    Notice that she used PICTURES. For SOUP NO LESS! :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Notice that she used PICTURES. For SOUP NO LESS! :p
    If you enjoy pictures of hot steaming chicken soup go and find a few and post them.Step by step pictures are good I will admit to guide one in the making of complicated dishes that require some sort of special folding technique when making a dish encrusted in dough such as Beef Wellington or some twisted French pastry but for a bowl of soup,naw.

If you are addicted to images while cooking go and buy a color copy of Larousse Gastronomique and you will be satiated !

Great idea, Patriot! I used escarole. For my meatballs I always use the meatloaf mix (beef, pork and veal). I also added some pastini to it. It's terrific!