Thread: Best Real World Martial Arts for Girls?

1. #1 Best Real World Martial Arts for Girls? 
    Banned
    The way things are today, girls are not as safe as they used to be when out alone or with other girls. I see many girls in martial arts classes but having been in martial arts off and on for the last 30 years, I know that in real life, too many of them come up deficient and a young woman winds up being no less defenseless than she would be without it.

All of my daughters I have gotten into two things. One is Shaolin Kempo Karate. A very basic, no frills martial art that involves boxing style hand techniques and kick, short, very powerful kicks no higher than the chest. The art works using the techniques in combination. Punch, punch kick. Usually all in one motion. A backfist with the right hand, follow the momentum with a left hook, follow through with a spinning back kick to the chest, stomach or ribs. You land the first one, you will usually land all three. Miss the first one, it will still make him react and you still are following up with the other two. The opponent will still be off balance. If you miss all three you can continue with another technique.

But the main thing that I have gotten my girls into for self defense is weapons. All three of then are proficient knife fighters. They spar constantly at home using magic markers. The problem with this is that if it comes right down to it, a young girl may get squeamish about spilling some deserving fucker's guts. My girls have helped me slaughter calves and goats.

All four of my daughters carry the same model of knife. My oldest one is the one to have ever had to use hers to stop an assault. The guy is lucky to still be alive. She slashed his arm and stabbed at his heart (just like in training). The guy was lucky to have been carrying his cellphone in the inside pocket of his jacket. He backed away, fell, got his head stomped and a knife held against his eye by an absolutely crazy Mexican girl who took his wallet and license so she and her brothers could find him later. I wonder how many days it was before he went home?

I am all for having girls train with knives and carrying them for self defense. But they have to be willing to use it. I am open to any other sugestions.

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    my little girl is six, so far the only problem I have is getting her to STOP beating up the boys...
    although she's turning into quite an expert marksman, I do not let her walk around armed, so she has to rely on a sharp right hook, eye gouging and biting...
    Must be working she has about five little boyfriends who follow her around the playground like lovesick puppies :D
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

I do Shotokan Karate, but I can't tell you much about the real world applications of it because, thank goodness, I've never had to use it outside of class.

I've been doing a lot of hinting to my family members about how I would like shooting lessons for Christmas, so let see if any of them have been paying attention ;)

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    What model knife?

I don't know much about edged weapons.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

I'll chip in with my .02...
    One of the most difficult aspects of self defense is having the will to act.
    Practice is mandatory, but correct mind set is paramount.

One of the responsibilities one must consider, whether you're a skilled practioner of the martial arts or a licensed concealed weapons carrier, is the taking of a life.

There is no 'shooting to wound'. There is no 'brandishing' a firearm to intimidate the attacker.
    There is no half measure of self defense.

Trying to impart that mind set is the most difficult part of teaching self defense techniques. Students must conquer their own self-doubt about their own survival. They must understand that when an attacker is at work, his goal is deadly harm.

When our lives, or the lives of our loved ones, are in mortal danger we must learn to respond with deadly force.
    That is no small task.

The best alternative is to walk away from the threat.
    If that is not possible, taking swift action is of absolute importance.

There is great truth in the old saying, 'he who hesitates is lost!'
    Secular militants, not Christian conservatives, currently strive to transform America in a way our founders would neither recognize nor approve.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    What model knife?

I don't know much about edged weapons.
    All of them carry a Smith and Wesson Extreme Ops Model.

I carry a Spyderco Military. I actually have 2. One I carry everyday and I have one like in the pic except mine is 019V. That is #19 of a limited edition 400 piece run. They are identical except that the everyday piece has half a serrated edge.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    All of them carry a Smith and Wesson Extreme Ops Model.

I carry a Spyderco Military. I actually have 2. One I carry everyday and I have one like in the pic except mine is 019V. That is #19 of a limited edition 400 piece run. They are identical except that the everyday piece has half a serrated edge.

Nice looking knives. Thanks.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Nice looking knives. Thanks.
    Don't even think about it, you'll poke your eye out!
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.