Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 "The Day the Earth Stood Still" Drops Huge Green Stink-Bomb on Box Office" 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    "The Day the Earth Stood Still" remake reportedly drops huge green stink-bomb on box office
    Quick. Name three great films which, when remade, topped the original. OK, two. One. Getting the picture?

When Fox reported that it was remaking what is probably the seminal sci fi classic of the 1950s -- The Day the Earth Stood Still -- there was much interest. The original was a taught, tight, gripping story of a possible end to the world. Filmed in just a few weeks in 1951, when CGI was non-existant, the face-paced script and first-rate actors made it one for the ages. Alas, Fox has taken the title and made a mess of the story by turning it into an Al Gore tirade about "global warming," perhaps the greatest hoax ever perpetuated.

Read the reviews for yourself. Friends who have seen this mess of a movie warn not to waste your money. They say it is worse than you'd expect, a huge, sprawling, paralyzingly slow and stupid story filled with CGI eye candy. The early reports of a sort of "1984" version of film crews not being allowed to use motor vehicles or non-disposable items "in order to keep in harmony with the film's theme" were, it seems, not just wild fantasies. The same lobotomized worship at the Shrine of the Holy Recycler seems to have bled-over into the film's script.

At a reported production cost of $160 million, plus an additional $100 million in domestic marketing, this reported stink bomb is gonna have to do big overseas, where the Mother Lode of Gorites live in perpetual fear of "global warming."
    http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2148960/posts

Banned
    I watched this online saturday night. Boy am I glad I did not have to pay a dime to watch this stinker. The stimulating dialog was like:

"But you said you were were her to save us!"

"I said I was going to save the planet...from...YOU!"

"Oh my God!"

JEEZ!

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    "The Day the Earth Stood Still" remake reportedly drops huge green stink-bomb on box office
    Quick. Name three great films which, when remade, topped the original. OK, two. One. Getting the picture?
    Batman
    Lord of the Rings
    Scarface
    Cape Fear
    Ocean's 11 (arguably)
    A Fistful of Dollars (remake-ish)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Although the newest Manbearpig alarmist movie looks terrible, not all remakes are bad. Really, who would have thought that a movie starring Keanu Reeves would be that good? The Matrix and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure will be remembered as the highlights of his career.

‘The Day the Earth Stood Still’ takes the top spot at the box office
    20th Century Fox’s sci-fi remake of “The Day the Earth Stood Still” took the top spot at the weekend box office with an estimated $31 million.

Variety reports the film, which stars Keanu Reeves and Jennifer Connelly, took in an estimated $39 million internationally for an estimated worldwide total of $70 million. The film cost a reported $80 million to bring to the screen.
    I watched it online also & also glad I didn't plunk down $8 - $10 bucks at the theatre to see it.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Thanks to everybody on this site for giving me a heads-up on this movie. I was actually planning to see it but I read CU first and saved the cash. I'll go rent the original, instead.

Can't mess with a classic.

It's sad when they cripple the potential of something like this by adding-in a thick coat of propaganda. The only message I'm interesting in getting from a movie is that "Wow that was great!" feeling at the end. The elites are not only making sure that reality sucks, they're making sure that fantasy sucks, too.

Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Batman
    Lord of the Rings
    Scarface
    Cape Fear
    Ocean's 11 (arguably)
    A Fistful of Dollars (remake-ish)
    Invasion of the Body Snatchers.

Although the newest Manbearpig alarmist movie looks terrible, not all remakes are bad. Really, who would have thought that a movie starring Keanu Reeves would be that good? The Matrix and Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure will be remembered as the highlights of his career.
    One of the best remakes off all time - John Carpenter's The Thing

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    One of the best remakes off all time - John Carpenter's The Thing
    Holy Crap! I saw that when I was a kid when it first came out on cable back in the early 80s. I was home alone and really shouldn't have been watching it, because it scared the crap out of me! :D

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jediab View Post
    Holy Crap! I saw that when I was a kid when it first came out on cable back in the early 80s. I was home alone and really shouldn't have been watching it, because it scared the crap out of me! :D
    Best line of The Thing was when the head sprouted legs and started to crawl away and one of the guys sees it says, "You have to be fuckin' kidding me!"