Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Weekend weather by you??? 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    We are still up here in Missouri and the weekend
    is supposed to be sunny and hot!!

BUT...

Our place down in Florida may be hit by
    a low grade hurricane or at the very least
    by really heavy rain and wind. GAAAAAAA!!!

And we will be driving down there next week
    as part of our normal back & forth.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Just a few minutes ago I watched my local news out of Baton Rouge and they say this depression can make a westerly turn and hit around Nrlns around Tuesday, I'm 65 miles from the Gulf but a good hundred miles from Nrlns so for now I'm not too worried about it. Only thing I hate about the storms is I can't make my morning coffee and I think this time if there is a chance of a storm I will get some instant and a couple nice candles to heat my coffee water. Other than that what to hell else am I going to do , no way I would get out there in traffic and get stranded somewhere out in the heat and rain. Me and the dog would just hunker down and use a mattress for cover.

We are just east of Pensacola and all I'm worried about
    is flash floods and the fact that we won't be there
    till after the storm.

I'd rather be there during the storm to handle stuff.

Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by Angry Old White Man View Post
    Just a few minutes ago I watched my local news out of Baton Rouge and they say this depression can make a westerly turn and hit around Nrlns around Tuesday, I'm 65 miles from the Gulf but a good hundred miles from Nrlns so for now I'm not too worried about it. Only thing I hate about the storms is I can't make my morning coffee and I think this time if there is a chance of a storm I will get some instant and a couple nice candles to heat my coffee water. Other than that what to hell else am I going to do , no way I would get out there in traffic and get stranded somewhere out in the heat and rain. Me and the dog would just hunker down and use a mattress for cover.
    Do what I did with Ike, make yourself two or three thermos bottles of coffee just before it’s to hit and use that old canteen cup and a can of sterno. My problem was sleeping without electricity and my breathing machine. Had to sleep sitting up and in two hours or less chunks.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Do what I did with Ike, make yourself two or three thermos bottles of coffee just before it’s to hit and use that old canteen cup and a can of sterno. My problem was sleeping without electricity and my breathing machine. Had to sleep sitting up and in two hours or less chunks.
    The 08 hurricane was pretty bad here, we were without power for a week where I happen to still live, I had a small 1000 watt Honda suitcase generator and it was really working it to run the normal little coffee maker, I would get up each morning and fire it up on the tailgate of my truck which I had backed up to my bedroom window so I could run an extension cord out so I could run the fan and TV which it did well . We had those lingering rains for about four days and all I had to do was put a sheet of corrugated iron across the pickup bed and it kept the rain off the little generator, I did well but it was a bit cooler then and made it more bearable, high school is just across from me and to my rear so they had the chow and ice I did not have to drive far. Now getting gas was another problem because people with large generators were filling trash cans with no lids and anything they could get. Me all I wanted was five gallons and had to sit in line for two hours to get it. If I were to buy a generator again it would be one equipped with a natural gas input, much better way to run one. I happen to be working on small engine at the time and the place where I worked I did all the generator repairs and I was back logged for over a year after the storm repairing and tagging all the dead generators, Briggs was the worst company of all the generator suppliers to stand behind their warranties , they bought nothing, so I would never buy one with a Briggs ever. Most I worked on that had engine problems had been delivered to the buyers not serviced and no oil in the crankcase. A clear crime as far as I was concerned but I told everyone I possibly could to not buy a briggs because their warranty was a sham. I think I did all those people a favor but I feel pretty sure they got their money back from the sellers. One outlet was selling made for asia generators with the wrong cycle and they could just barely muster 90 volts. Learned a lot about generators working at the center, I wish I was still able to work because I would still be there it was a great place to work.

It's been pretty nice here all week, so I'm guessing we should be getting rain at some point. It rained all day last Saturday, when I was at my church retreat, which eliminated most outdoor activities for me. I still had a good time, and I met some really nice people.

I had to turn the A/C on in the house yesterday for the first time this year. But it's sunny today and supposed to hit 85 or so. Pretty good for Memorial Day weekend in Michigan. The lakes aren't warm enough for swimming yet, but most people with pools have probably gotten theirs together by now.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    We didn't plan any weather today.
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

We moved in 09 “out to the country”* and immediately installed a whole house NG generator. Haven’t lost a nights sleep since. This house was without power for most of two weeks in 08 so I was taking no chances. With a piped in NG grill and cooktop, until a storm rips the pipes out of the ground, I’m good. We saw with Harvey how little 60” of rain would do to us so ......

*and the country immediately moved further out.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

We're going to be putting a whole house GEN
    in the home here in Missouri maybe as soon as
    this fall. We are selling our FL home this year.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    90's in the Midwest, near 100° where I'll be headed tonight for the weekend. And damn, I forgot to pack my parka.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender