1. #1 Atman's bouncy bounces back at him 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Atman (1000+ posts)
    Mon Dec-15-08 01:32 PM
    Original message
    Election Aftermath Realities; "Bush-hating" GOP friends who still voted for McCain

I just found out, over the course of the past couple of weeks, that some supposedly fed-up GOP friends who were going to vote for Obama out of frustration with the Bush regime, in fact voted for McCain anyway.

I posted on DU a while back about my brother, a long-time Republican and business owner with about 20 employees. He told me in 2004 that he was going to vote for Bush again because, as a guy who employs 20 people, he has to think about health care. He couldn't possibly have mean't that BushCo would help him provide heath care to his employees, I'm sure of it. He would never think that way. I know that what he meant was, the GOP would help him screw his employees (our sister among them!) and save him lots of money.

Mom told me a few weeks before the election that my brother was going to have to vote for Obama because things were so screwed up and something had to change. I was happy. I posted about it on DU.

He voted for McCain.

So, this weekend I go snowboarding with my Republican-who-swears-he's-a-Libertarian friend. He insists he never voted for Bush, although he regaled us with tales of his second victory in 2004. But now, nope...he's never been a Republican. A couple of weeks before the election he told me that things were really fucked up and even though his wife was still totally McCain, he didn't see how he could vote for the crazy old man. He'd be voting for Obama. Woohoo! Another one!

Yesterday he told me that he voted for McCain.

"I had to think of my best interest!" he said. "Obama's going to tax the shit out of everything!"

"Bullshit!" I said. "It didn't matter who got elected, your taxes are going up, mine are going up, everyone's are. You guys fucked it up so bad that now EVERYONE will pay more. Lots more!"

I got a harrumph, then he said "You know, I looked at his plan online after the election, and it turned out that I'd only pay another $300. But still, I just think it was the lesser of two evils..."

"Lesser of two evils? What was the other evil?..."

Then we had to get of the lift. We never finished the conversation. Probably for the best.

But it does seem to reinforce the "Republicans are liars" meme. Both these guys told me they couldn't vote for the status quo and had would vote for Obama in the days before the election. It was the popular thing to do. But in the end they couldn't do it.

Oh, wait...is this The Bradley Effect? Or just scummy, self-serving Republicans?
    Too bad, Atman a/k/a Texas Toast. :D

Calls his brother and friend "scummy, self-serving Republicans." What must it be like to go through life like a DUmmie and view everything and every relationship through the prism of politics. It's almost sad...

Patent Member
    The story is always the same with crazed liberals. They will yell and scream and foam at the mouth if you even insinuate that you're a Republican. Just tell them you voted for Obama and let them feel smug in their self-indulgence.

So I went snow boarding this past weekend and like a good older brother, I made sure that my younger brother was going, that he had enough money, and was packing the correct clothing for snowboarding and the other events the family was going to have together....It was a mistake. As soon as he arrived, all he could do talk politics and say how BO was the answer to all the problems of the world. Mom, very quietly, asked him to stop his display, telling him "Your temper tantrums didn't work as a child, so why don't you stop and let the family enjoy each other?"

But no, younger brother pointed out we all had promised him that we would support BO with our votes and continued with his display as we loaded up into the vans to go to the slopes for snowboarding and a day of skiing.

As we were waiting in line for the lift, he continued with his weak arguments, so a couple of cousins and I decided to just bust his chops. When he asked us who we voted for, we told him McCain just to watch his head explode. Boy did it!........He made a fool of himself with all of his antics and the outright foaming of the mouth. It made our day and we made sure that the rest of the family was in on the joke to the point that even old uncle Harry told him that he voted for McCain and he hasn't voted for years!

Mom finally put a stop to our merriment when she reminded us that just because we voted for McCain as a family, we really should stop picking on my younger brother because we all knew that he was immature and incapable of holding an intelligent discourse with family, friends or cousins because he is incapable of learning, and we should never take advantage of someone weaker than us.

Man, you really should have been there.*

* written by Altman's older brother......:D

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Heaven forbid someone should change their mind.
    May the FORCE be with you!

I think it's probable that Atmans brother and friend were so sick and tired of his rants, putdowns of Republicans, and hero worship of Obama that they finally just told him that they'd vote for Obama to shut Atman up.

I bet you $100 that Atman's post was originally meant to be used to offer an explanation if Obama had lost the election. ("Obama was going to win, but Repukes who were going to vote for him chickened out!") He thought it was such a good story that he went ahead and used it anyway.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

I have no idea who my friends and family members voted for in this election or any other. I would never, ever ask them and they have better things to talk about.

It's pretty much just lefties who constantly demand various kinds of loyalty oaths from those around them.