Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Blind man's guide dog barred from restaurant for offending Muslims 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Blind man's guide dog barred from restaurant for offending Muslims

A blind man has been turned away from a fashionable Indian restaurant because his guide dog offended Muslim staff.

Alun Elder-Brown was barred from bringing his guide dog, Finn, into Kirthon Restaurant Alun Elder-Brown, a recruitment executive, said he was left feeling "like a piece of dirt" after being barred from bringing the animal into Kirthon Restaurant in Tunbridge Wells, Kent, on religious grounds. The Guide Dogs for the Blind Association said the decision was illegal under the Disability Discrimination Act and Mr Elder-Brown, 51, is now considering suing the establishment in The Pantiles.

It follows a series of successful prosecutions of Muslim taxi drivers who refused to carry guide dogs in their cars because they considered them unclean on religious grounds. Mr Elder-Brown was taking his girlfriend out to celebrate her birthday with her five year-old daughter last week when he was told he would have to leave his dog, Finn, tied up outside.

He showed a card issued by the Institute of Environmental Health Officers certifying he and his dog were allowed into any premises but an argument ensued and the owners threatened to call the police if he did not leave. "It was humiliating and degrading, especially as there were a lot of people around me," he said.

"I was made to feel like a piece of dirt. They told me I couldn't come in because it was against their religious beliefs to have a dog in the restaurant. "They then said I could leave Finn tied up outside. I stayed calm but when they threatened to call police I left." He added: "It was horrible. It put a dampener on the whole celebration."

Under the Disability Discrimination Act it is illegal to refuse to serve a disabled person of give them a diminished level of service because of their disability. Chris Dyson of Guide Dogs for the Blind said: "We are extremely concerned and disappointed that Alun was refused access to this restaurant.

"We very much hope that this restaurant will reconsider its decision and get in touch with the charity so that we can give them a better understanding of their requirements under the law and explain the important role that the guide dog plays for Alun." The restaurant's owner, Amenur Abdussamad, was not immediately available for comment. But Shamin Ahmed, a partner in the restaurant, said that he had written to Guide Dogs for the Blind to apologise for the incident.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...g-Muslims.html

offend Christians all you like - but don't dare offend a Muslim. You might find yourself in pieces if you do. *Boom*
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    offend Christians all you like - but don't dare offend a Muslim. You might find yourself in pieces if you do. *Boom*
    There is a debate in the United States on whether or not a pharmacist can refuse to fill a prescription because of religious convictions. Same sort of thing, to me.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    There is a debate in the United States on whether or not a pharmacist can refuse to fill a prescription because of religious convictions. Same sort of thing, to me.
    Lots of sort ofs in your mind !

Banned
    oh so killing a life inside the womb is the same as a cabbie refusing to give a blind person who has a seeing eye dog a lift?

please spare us your reply I already know.

Right because allowing a dog into a restaurant is comparable to participating in murder.

Damn funny.

Banned
    People who pray with their ass in the air are offensive to me. Next time I have a business, then I will use it as an excuse. Religious grounds, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    People who pray with their ass in the air are offensive to me. Next time I have a business, then I will use it as an excuse. Religious grounds, you know.
    True. who wants to look at that?

Patent Member
    Anyone else feeling the urge to send them a can or two of bacon?