1. #1 Colorado Set To Become First In U.S. To Use “Smart Pavement” To Monitor Drivers 
    Power CUer
    Colorado Set To Become First In U.S. To Use “Smart Pavement” To Monitor Drivers In Real-Time
    https://www.activistpost.com/2018/05...r-drivers.html

Most people who are at least aware of The Internet of Things are inclined to believe that it is purely about connecting smart gadgets and appliances to a localized home network. However, The Internet of Things itself is just one component of a much larger move toward full-scale smart cities where all infrastructure is embedded with sensors that can track and manage all people and all movements.

Colorado has announced that it is slated to become the first city in the United States to implement “smart pavement” as part of its preparation for the arrival of autonomous vehicles and sensor-linked standard vehicles that “can identify and warn drivers of hazardous conditions and sharp curves ahead but also provide and interconnectedness that is increasingly widespread,” according to The Denver Post.

“Smart pavement can make that determination and send that information directly into a vehicle,” said Peter Kozinski, director of CDOT’s futuristic RoadX division. “Data is the new asphalt of transportation.”

Using the familiar refrain of safety and security as being the impetus for the first round of testing, smart pavement developer Integrated Roadways clearly states that the ultimate goal of their work with the Colorado Department of Transportation is far beyond that...

...The only aspect not mentioned in the above summary of goals is, of course, law enforcement. All manner of data has become irresistible to both central planners and police to conduct warrantless public surveillance. This would seem like yet another tool to be added to their growing arsenal. Let’s not forget the major news story when Seattle was discovered to have put in a secret WiFi mesh network funded by Homeland Security. Or the ongoing controversy surrounding warrantless Stingray cell phone surveillance, among other abuses of public trust and privacy...

This is my kind of smart pavement.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Nl53bCC78
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

Will there be roads that play rap music ?
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

I don't know. I can see a real potential for abuse by LE on this plan.

Then again, the government will have to maintain the roads to maintain their survellience equipment.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know. I can see a real potential for abuse by LE on this plan.

Then again, the government will have to maintain the roads to maintain their survellience equipment.
    This is always how it is with technology. It brings some conveniences and then some horrible 1984 surveillance.