Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Cops Raid Little Boys’ Lemonade Stand, Shut it Down for Not Having a Permit 
    Power CUer
    It's summer: time to pick on 6-year olds who sell lemonade on the sidewalk. In this case, it turns out there was no actual law forbidding the lemon aid stand. The police claimed they came because a neighbor complained.

Cops Raid Little Boys’ Lemonade Stand, Shut it Down for Not Having a Permit
    https://www.activistpost.com/2018/05...-a-permit.html

...Jennifer Knowles, mother of three boys, wanted to instill a bit of entrepreneurial spirit in her sons over the Memorial Day weekend. So, Knowles and her husband decided they would have her four and six-year-old sons run a lemonade stand.

“We have never had a lemonade stand and the boys thought Memorial Day weekend is going to be great weather, so why not have a lemonade stand across the street in the park,” Knowles said....

On top of teaching her children how to be entrepreneurs, Knowles said she wanted to teach them about giving to those less fortunate as well...

Knowles explained that her two sons picked a child in Indonesia to whom the proceeds from the lemonade stand would provide food and fresh water....

However, their good deed and entrepreneurial spirit would soon be squashed as police showed up just an hour and a half into their venture.

“The police officers came over and they said that because my boys and I did not have permits for a lemonade stand they shut us down and we had to stop immediately,” she said. “My boys were crushed. They were devastated. And I can’t believe that happened. I remember as a child I always had lemonade stands and never had to worry about being shut down by the police officers. I mean that’s unheard of.”

When her children saw the police coming toward them, they naturally got scared.

“My 6-year-old he saw the police officers coming over and he ran and he hid,” she said. “My 4-year-old came over and was looking at the police officer and heard what he was saying. He started to frown and then he started to cry. And it made me want to cry because they were so upset.”

Knowles explained that the police were nice but they were still shutting them down because someone had reported the children for selling unlicensed lemonade. In other words, they were just doing their jobs.

After being shut down for selling lemonade without a license, Knowles did some digging and found out that there is actually no law explicitly prohibiting lemonade stands. However, there were no laws explicitly permitting them either—meaning that these officers could’ve used their discretion and allowed the kids to continue selling, but they did not.

City officials, however, did say that they will shut down lemonade stands if they get a complaint....

I'm glad that the Detroit Police have more important things to do than to bust up children's lemonade stands. Detroit actually has a day to celebrate lemonade stands. Plus, people of all ages sell bottled water out of their coolers along some of the freeway ramps-where there are traffic backups on hot days. No one makes them get a permit to do so.

Detroit has it's problems, cops busting up children's lemonade stands is not one of them.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm glad that the Detroit Police have more important things to do than to bust up children's lemonade stands. Detroit actually has a day to celebrate lemonade stands. Plus, people of all ages sell bottled water out of their coolers along some of the freeway ramps-where there are traffic backups on hot days. No one makes them get a permit to do so.

Detroit has it's problems, cops busting up children's lemonade stands is not one of them.
    The odd thing is that there is no law against the stands. The cops have no leg to stand on.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    The odd thing is that there is no law against the stands. The cops have no leg to stand on.
    It’s not the cops, it’s the complainers.

Bet they would gripe if they were hung with a new rope.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    It’s not the cops, it’s the complainers.

Bet they would gripe if they were hung with a new rope.
    You know, I used to complain about noise and the cops never came out. Too bad my pot-smoking partier neighbors weren't running a lemon aid stand back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    You know, I used to complain about noise and the cops never came out. Too bad my pot-smoking partier neighbors weren't running a lemon aid stand back then.

When I had crackheads who beat each other and had a vicious pit bull, the Warren cops did come when I (or other neighbors) called them. He put her through a window one time and tried to blame the dog. She bailed him out later. It was true love.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    When I had crackheads who beat each other and had a vicious pit bull, the Warren cops did come when I (or other neighbors) called them. He put her through a window one time and tried to blame the dog. She bailed him out later. It was true love.
    A couple of years ago, there was a couple a few doors down who were constantly at each other. One night, I came home and found the police out front. Apparently, the guy had gone too far and the young woman was wrapped in a blanket and being questioned by the police. They moved out soon after.

Because this occurred in Colorado, I wonder if the police would have objected to the children selling pot ?
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

Power CUer
    An update:

Country Time To Pay Fines When Bureaucrats Target Kids’ Lemonade Stands: ‘Tastes Like Justice’
    https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...en-officials-/
    The men and women of Country Time Lemonade have started a “Legal-Ade” defense fund for entrepreneurial kids who are new to bureaucratic red tape.

Each year children across the U.S. have lemonade stands targeted by local officials over rules and regulations meant for commercial enterprises. Country Time announced its plans to fight back on Thursday with a humorous advertisement posted to YouTube.

“Around the country, kids are getting busted for running lemonade stands,” a narrator says. “Entrepreneurship, good work habits, good old-fashioned fun? Shut down by old, arcane, but very real laws.”

The company highlighted 6-year-old Autumn Thomasson’s story. The Porterville, Califorinia girl was cited in 2017 for running a stand without a license.

“It’s happening everywhere,” the narrator continues. “No, seriously, look it up. But this summer things are going to be different because Country Time is introducing “Legal-Ade” — a crack team ready to straighten out lemonade stand permits and fines, making sure no kid is denied their right to a lemonade stand and all the benefits they bestow.”

“We’re taking the lead to #SaveLemonadeStands by paying for kids’ fines + permits this year,” the company added on Twitter. “For every RT this gets we’ll donate $1 (up to $500,000) to help kids next year + beyond.”

The program is open to legal U.S. residents who are the parents or legal guardians of a child 14 years of age or younger operating a lemonade stand.

This year’s efforts end 11:59 p.m. EDT. on Aug. 31, or when $60,000 worth of offers have been awarded.

Fucking Denver. I should have known. If a bum shits in against a tree in a park in full view of traffic they just ride their little bicycles and pay no mind (seen it happen twice). I guess it's just easier to pick on little kids than deal with shit like that. I hope those cops are real proud of themselves. Maybe they can use the story to pick up chicks at the bar.