Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 California Results 
    Power CUer
    Our jungle primary often results in the GOP being totally shut out of an office. This is true again this year in some big offices. Here are the results of the major offices:

Governor

Precincts Reporting: 91%
    Gavin Newsom, Dem - 33% (1,313,302)
    John Cox, GOP - 26% (1,024,650)
    The only major statewide office where the GOP has a shot this fall.

Lieutenant Governor
    Ed Hernandez, Dem - 21% (772,039)
    Eleni Kounalakis, Dem - 24% (871,927)
    We will have a Democrat for Lt. Governor no matter what.

U.S. Senate
    Dianne Feinstein, Dem (i) - 44% (1,658,299)
    Kevin De Leon, Dem - 11% (424,832)
    We will have a Democrat for Senator no matter what.

Secretary of State
    Alex Padilla, Dem (i) - 52% (1,933,176)
    Mark Meuser, GOP - 32% (1,196,499)
    There will be two parties in this one, but Padilla is the incumbent.

Controller
    Betty Yee, Dem (i) - 61% (2,243,730)
    Konstantinos Roditis, GOP - 35% (1,280,460)
    Two parties here, but Yee is the incumbent with a large chunk of the vote.

Treasurer
    Fiona Ma, Dem - 43% (1,597,602)
    Greg Conlon,GOP - 22% (809,188)
    There's a real shot here. There were two GOP candidates that split the vote almost evenly.

Attorney General
    Xavier Becerra, Dem (i) - 46% (1,700,738)
    Steven Bailey, GOP - 25% (943,535)
    Becerra is a really bad guy; but Californians don't care about the DNC server and the Awan brothers, only about his party (or the Hispanic surname)

Insurance Commissioner

Ricardo Lara, Dem (i) - 41% (1,446,655)
    Steve Poizner, NPP - 41% (1,460,311)
    One Dem and one guy with no party affiliation who had the endorsement of the Sacramento Bee.

Edited: looks like this one has a clear winner after all.

SUPERINTENDENT OF PUBLIC INSTRUCTION
    Precincts Reporting: 97%
    MARSHALL TUCK - 42.17% (145571)
    TONY K. THURMOND - 30.47% (105188)
    While both are Democrats, the office is non-partisan. Tuck is a charter school supporter and was endorsed by the San Jose Mercury News; Tony Thurmond was endorsed by the teachers' unions.

As you can see, any office where we have to vote as a state is at risk of no Republican at all in the general election. In a system where the top two vote-getters of any party go to the general, you're at the whim of the dominant party.
    Last edited by Elspeth; 06-06-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Power CUer
    Our Congressional races--remember the Dems want to get formerly GOP seats, like that of the retiring Daryl Issa.

Congressional District 49 Northern San Diego
    Precincts Reporting: 77%
    Diane Harkey, GOP - 25% (25,225)
    Mike Levin, Dem - 17% (17,034)
    This is Darryl Issa's old seat. There were lots of GOP candidates running and Harkey was endorsed by the CA Republican Party. This is one to watch in the general since the Dems want to overturn this one.

Congressional District 50 Inland San Diego
    Precincts Reporting: 70%
    Duncan D. Hunter, GOP (i) - 48% (36,794)
    Ammar Campa-Najjar, Dem - 16% (12,389)
    Duncan Hunter is the incumbent though under investigation for ethics isses (campaign funds). He may be weakened enough to be vulnerable to a challenge.

Congressional District 51 Mexican Border, Imperial
    Precincts Reporting: 89%
    Juan Vargas, Dem (i) - 63% (27,056)
    Juan Hidalgo, GOP - 15% (6,614)
    John Renison, GOP - 15% (6,461)
    There will clearly be one of each party in the general and the Democrat will probably win easily. I don't know if the GOP candidate has been called yet: that's why they are both here.

Congressional District 52 Coastal San Diego
    Precincts Reporting: 86%
    Scott Peters, Dem (i) - 57% (54,815)
    Omar Qudrat, GOP - 15% (14,575)
    This is my district. I voted for Omar. However, much of the district's population is concentrated along the coastline (La Jolla, Del Mar) and these are rich but liberal areas. The seat will almost certainly go to Peters, the incumbent.

Congressional District 53 Central San Diego
    Precincts Reporting: 88%
    Susan Davis, Dem (i) - 62% (50,733)
    Morgan Murtaugh, GOP - 15% (12,319)
    Susan Davis is a do-nothing seat-warmer and many tried to oust her this time, but incumbency and party affiliation mean a lot. This seat will probably not budge either.

Cox should suddenly withdraw his name... That might start California spinning off its axis... as it sputters toward November.

A Sun-Tzu strategy. Overload the opponent with what it wants, thereby creating self-perpetuating arrogance which will result in self-cannibalizing chaos.

Power CUer
    Some bright spots:

DISTRICT ATTORNEY
    SUMMER STEPHAN - 63.69% (234800)
    G. JONES-WRIGHT - 36.15% (133272)

While technically a non-partisan office, Jones-Wright was the Soros candidate. Soros dropped 1.5 million to get Wright, a barely qualified novice, into office. Stephan, however, was a prosecutor for over 20 years before becoming DA. She had a strong following and respect from her colleagues. And San Diegans did not like all that outside money coming in.

Proposition 72 - No Rain Recycling Prop Tax Constitutional amendment
    Yes - 83% (3,081,068)
    No - 17% (619,680)
    The state government wanted to tax rainwater collection systems on private land. The people said NO.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    Cox should suddenly withdraw his name... That might start California spinning off its axis... as it sputters toward November.

A Sun-Tzu strategy. Overload the opponent with what it wants, thereby creating self-perpetuating arrogance which will result in self-cannibalizing chaos.
    Unfortunately, it usually doesn't end up that way. It just ends up with a Dem winning.

Power CUer
    Financial Disasters: All other California propositions.

Proposition 68 - Issue Park and Nature Bonds Bond Measure
    Yes - 56% (2,103,910)
    No - 44% (1,647,147)

4 BILLION in new borrowing, allegedly for water. However, CA just passed the most stringent water rationing bill (see here). We can't afford this and Sacramento will most certainly waste it.

Proposition 69 - Ban Transport Rev Realloc Constitutional amendment
    Yes - 80% (3,024,768)
    No - 20% (734,213)

Prop 69 came about because Sacramento voted to greatly increase taxes on gasoline and vehicle registration. The taxes are so unpopular, there is a repeal effort in the general election that has recently made the ballot for November.

In an effort to stave off a complete repeal, Sacramento put Prop 69 on the June ballot. Prop 69 basically says the the new gas/car taxes MUST be spent on "infrastructure" (as opposed to entitlement programs, where the dollars usually go when they get dumped into the general fund.) Of course, the small print says the governor can declare an emergency and then the funds can go wherever Jerry Brown wants them to go.

I voted NO on this of course: I will be voting for the repeal in November. But I guess some folks felt that this prop might put some kind of limits on Jerry Brown. It won't--and now Brown has a talking point against the repeal in November.

Proposition 70 - Supermaj To Use GHG Funds Constitutional amendment
    Yes - 36% (1,314,900)
    No - 64% (2,299,735)

As you know, our state has a massive global warming bill. The greenhouse gas emission credits (a scam if there ever was one) is a money-maker for Sacramento. This prop would have put some breaks on the spending of this shakedown--pardon me, "revenue". It would have required a 2/3 vote (instead of a simple majority) to actually spend these funds. This would have given the GOP some voice in how this money was spent. Of course, it failed. Stupid Californians: they fell for the alarmist, sky is falling, global warming scare.

Proposition 71 - SW Measures In Effect Later Constitutional amendment
    Yes - 77% (2,801,388)
    No - 23% (841,216)

This was a kind of sneaky one. On the surface, this prop says that once any proposition passes, it may not apply as law right away. Prop 71 would make the citizens of CA wait a month and a half (or so) after the election until any proposition can go into effect--the length of time it takes for the vote to be officially certified.

The alleged back story was the legalization of pot that occurred. The state government wanted some breathing room to figure out how to apply the law. Six weeks doesn't seem to be nearly enough time for that. On the other hand, if a a prop repeals a tax, let's say, the repeal would not go into effect for six weeks, meaning many Californians would have to pay the tax, even after it was clear they had voted not to. Californians, once again, forgot to think beyond the campaign literature.

We haven't had our primaries yet, but my district is one that could be up for grabs. Long-time Congressman Sander Levin (D) is retiring. His son Andy is running to replace him, along with a couple of other democrats. But there are a couple of republicans also running. I don't know-they are social conservatives, and Royal Oak and Ferndale are very liberal. But Warren, where I live, is pretty working class. I think there are a lot of people who voted for Obama and also voted for Trump in 2016.

Andy Levin will probably win. I'm expecting a big voter turn out because recreational weed is on the ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Some bright spots:

DISTRICT ATTORNEY
    SUMMER STEPHAN - 63.69% (234800)
    G. JONES-WRIGHT - 36.15% (133272)

While technically a non-partisan office, Jones-Wright was the Soros candidate. Soros dropped 1.5 million to get Wright, a barely qualified novice, into office. Stephan, however, was a prosecutor for over 20 years before becoming DA. She had a strong following and respect from her colleagues. And San Diegans did not like all that outside money coming in.
    ...[/I]
    Looks like the Soros group's candidate in Alameda County will lose.

Looks like the candidate Soros' group supported in Contra Costa County won (she was already interim DA, so she had name recognition as well as $$).

Looks like the Soros group's candidate in Sacramento County lost.

Looks like the Soros group's candidate in Yolo County lost.

Correction: The Soros-group-backed candidate in CoCo County received less than 50% of the vote, so she faces a run-off in November.
    Last edited by SVPete; 06-06-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We haven't had our primaries yet, but my district is one that could be up for grabs. Long-time Congressman Sander Levin (D) is retiring. His son Andy is running to replace him, along with a couple of other democrats. But there are a couple of republicans also running. I don't know-they are social conservatives, and Royal Oak and Ferndale are very liberal. But Warren, where I live, is pretty working class. I think there are a lot of people who voted for Obama and also voted for Trump in 2016.

Andy Levin will probably win. I'm expecting a big voter turn out because recreational weed is on the ballot.
    It's always interesting to watch when the incumbent retires. Both parties are banking on keeping old seats and taking new ones. We'll see what happens.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Looks like the Soros group's candidate in Alameda County will lose.

Looks like the candidate Soros' group supported in Contra Costa County won (she was already interim DA, so she had name recognition as well as $$).

Looks like the Soros group's candidate in Sacramento County lost.

Looks like the Soros group's candidate in Yolo County lost.

Correction: The Soros-group-backed candidate in CoCo County received less than 50% of the vote, so she faces a run-off in November.
    So Soros got 3 losses (including SD), 1 win (that might have happened anyway), and 1 run-off. That's good news!