Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11  
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Springfield, USA
    Posts
    20,643
    Couldn't pay attention in real time last night. But am kinda enjoying the aftermath & blue wave backtracking. And this goofy jungle primary stuff in CA.

    Didn't vote in our primary. The R governor & my house rep were running unopposed. Even here, watching the Democrat candidates take different approaches to winning their nomination has been amusing.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    22,920
    Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Couldn't pay attention in real time last night. But am kinda enjoying the aftermath & blue wave backtracking. And this goofy jungle primary stuff in CA.

    Didn't vote in our primary. The R governor & my house rep were running unopposed. Even here, watching the Democrat candidates take different approaches to winning their nomination has been amusing.
    So there's not going to be a blue wave?
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    16,042
    So OK, I’m lost here. I understand the idea behind a totally open primary. Yet the networks kept calling winners last night including pelosium even though she did not have 50%.

    Clarify please?
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    22,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    So OK, I’m lost here. I understand the idea behind a totally open primary. Yet the networks kept calling winners last night including pelosium even though she did not have 50%.

    Clarify please?
    You don't need 50%. You just need to be the top vote-getter.

    Check this out:

    Congressional District 50 Inland San Diego
    Precincts Reporting: 100%
    Duncan D. Hunter, GOP (i) - 49% (43,233)
    Ammar Campa-Najjar, Dem - 16% (14,445)
    Bill Wells, GOP - 13% (11,626)
    Josh Butner, Dem - 13% (11,333)
    Patrick Malloy, Dem - 6% (5,324)
    Shamus Sayed, GOP - 2% (1,846)
    Richard Kahle, NPP - 1% (975)


    Duncan Hunter only has 49% of the vote, but he has won the primary. The other 51% of the vote has been split among multiple candidates, including third parties and no party affilitation.

    Hunter will face off against Ammar Campa-Najjar in the general election this November, since the first and second place winners get to go to the general.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Ancient Fire Breather Retread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    I came to Texas as soon as I could
    Posts
    16,042
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    You don't need 50%. You just need to be the top vote-getter.


    Duncan Hunter only has 49% of the vote, but he has won the primary. The other 51% of the vote has been split among multiple candidates, including third parties and no party affilitation.

    Hunter will face off against Ammar Campa-Najjar in the general election this November, since the first and second place winners get to go to the general.
    Pardon me for this but I’m still confused. The top two meet again in the general regardless of the numbers?
    In my mind that would be defined in a way to say there is no such a thing as winning the primary. Winning should be that everyone you beat is gone from the competition.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Springfield, USA
    Posts
    20,643
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    So there's not going to be a blue wave?
    I'm guessing not. But it is 5 months away. Hey, maybe "Fitzmas Part 2743" will actually materialize
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    22,920
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    Pardon me for this but I’m still confused. The top two meet again in the general regardless of the numbers?
    YES. If I run and get 98% and you run and get 1%, we face off in the general election, even if you only get a single vote--as long as you come in second. It's a DUMB law.

    In my mind that would be defined in a way to say there is no such a thing as winning the primary. Winning should be that everyone you beat is gone from the competition.
    I agree. But winning here means you come in first and then you fight the second place person. It's nuts, I agree.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •