Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    So Nazi Germany wasn't a secular state?

Soviet Russia, Vietnam, Cambodia? These were all religious nations?
    Secularism provides no guarantees that humans in power will always do what is right or good but neither does religion.

But this is about atheism. Atheists are the mass murderers and genocide purveyors throughout history, not Christians.
    As far as I know, Adolf Hilter and other tyrants throughout history did not believe in faeries. Should we assume that leaders who do not believe in faeries are more likely to commit crimes against humanity than leaders who do believe in them?

Try to keep in mind that if the Book of Genesis is true then God is the greatest mass murderer of all time... men, women, and children... all collectively punished for the sins of the wicked.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 12-17-2008 at 08:48 AM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

I thought Febuary 30th was National Atheists Day...

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

What always cracks me up about these discussions (although not this one, just ones in general) is when some of the 'Jesus is the reason for the season' folks cry foul on the non-believers for exchanging gifts, taking the day off, putting up a tree etc... on their day and then are critical of the same people who use terms Happy Holidays, Winter Festival, Winter Solstice etc.... for being to PC and not using the term Christmas, which they don't want then to celebrate anyway because they don't believe.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I thought Febuary 30th was National Atheists Day...
    I was once told that February 30th is National Atheists Day but I stopped believing that because the day never came.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 12-17-2008 at 10:44 AM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

I don't think there is some kind of "War on Christmas" going on. The same cranks who have always been around, at least since I was a kid, are always going to have objections to any display of religious symbols.

At my office, there are a couple of jewish people, one is on my staff unit. We play "Dollar Store Secret Santa" this week, and she enjoys participating. We all pitched in for a special Hannakah gift for her, too. I don't see too many jewish or muslim people who have problems with Christmas-the muslim businesses in Dearborn put up Christmas lights and such.

I believe in the separation of church and state on institutional levels. Individual expressions of faith are a different matter, and should be judged in an individual manner-it's okay for kids at school to discuss their faith, for example, but it would be wrong for a teacher proselytize to a student. I even would go so far to say as that a teacher could explain his own religious beliefs to the students if the students had initiated the discussion and it had some relativity to the lessons, depending on the age of the kids. High school kids are almost adults, and they have questions about things like religion. They are interested in what adults other than their parents think about such things.

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    I was once told that February 30th is National Atheists Day but I stopped believing that because the day never came.
    I'm sure their is a message in there somewhere :D

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis