Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FeebMaster View Post
    If a Republican proposed this and wrapped it up in some free market, small government speak, 90% of CU would be all over it.
    Yeppers! There were threads here advocating "control" over oil prices. This is simply the logical conclusion to such.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Yeppers! There were threads here advocating "control" over oil prices. This is simply the logical conclusion to such.
    Only in FreeMaster's dreams.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    On the old board there were definitely threads advocating the 'punishment' of big oil because they were posting record profits while the gas prices are so high. This kind of nonsense doesn't come from every member, but it was definitely there.

Banned
    Nope. I'll look for it tomorrow, but there was a thread here that advocated "controlling" the price of oil and, specifically, of oil drilled in the US. The proposal was such that if a company drilled oil in the US, they would have to sell it to the US at less than global market rates.

Social Security pays very little of my total retirement income. My dad and my investments far outpace what we get in S.S. benefits.
    Good for you. All the more reason to not rely on it. By the time I retire, I expect to get nothing for all the money I've paid in. I treat it like what it is and always has been, another tax with empty promises to go along with it.

When did we ever get the opportunity to vote for or against Social Security. You pulled that one out of your yang yang.
    Your father's generation certainly never elected anyone who said they were going to cut back their sweet sweet government money.

You don't vote so I blame you and the millions of your fellow travellers who are either too stupid, lazy or apathetic to vote.
    Good for you. Meanwhile, the people you elect keep screwing the rest of us.

You were voting 40 plus years ago. Sounds like bullshit to me.
    http://hooked-on-phonics.com/

Like I said, my dad never voted for or against Social Security. BTW, my dad went thru the depression so he never depended on anyone including the government to take care of him. Another one of your idiotic statements.
    Well and good. Then he doesn't need his social security check or W's prescription drug plan.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    On the old board there were definitely threads advocating the 'punishment' of big oil because they were posting record profits while the gas prices are so high. This kind of nonsense doesn't come from every member, but it was definitely there.
    There are always dissenting opinions on any issue; bashing oil Exec., price controls and additonal taxing of oil companies will not reduce the price of gasoline by one penny. Congress passed a bill to increase the Corporation taxes on oil companies only from 32 to 35 per cent and then was shot down by a world court. It is unfair to pick out an entity and tax them more than another just because they make plenty of money.

Banned
    Good for you. All the more reason to not rely on it. By the time I retire, I expect to get nothing for all the money I've paid in. I treat it like what it is and always has been, another tax with empty promises to go along with it.

Your father's generation certainly never elected anyone who said they were going to cut back their sweet sweet government money.

Good for you. Meanwhile, the people you elect keep screwing the rest of us.

http://hooked-on-phonics.com/

Well and good. Then he doesn't need his social security check or W's prescription drug plan.
    Like I said, it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to collect my S.S. benefits knowing that some of your tax money is going to my retirement account.

You wanted a discussion about W's drug plan but you are too stupid to know what you are talking about. All you have is, I don't want to pay for it. Do you realize that if you get hurt on the job S.S. pays for permantely disabled workers. I forgot, you have millions stashed away in case of a serious injury or disease where you were hospitalized for a year or more. I am unaware of any private insurance policy that would cover this type of situation indefinitely.

Both of us have EARNED our S.S. benefits. Tough shit if you do not like it. Pay up.

Like I said, it gives me a warm and fuzzy feeling to collect my S.S. benefits knowing that some of your tax money is going to my retirement account.

You wanted a discussion about W's drug plan but you are too stupid to know what you are talking about. All you have is, I don't want to pay for it. Do you realize that if you get hurt on the job S.S. pays for permantely disabled workers. I forgot, you have millions stashed away in case of a serious injury or disease where you were hospitalized for a year or more. I am unaware of any private insurance policy that would cover this type of situation indefinitely.

Both of us have EARNED our S.S. benefits. Tough shit if you do not like it. Pay up.
    Quoted for posterity. This one's a classic.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Nope. I'll look for it tomorrow, but there was a thread here that advocated "controlling" the price of oil and, specifically, of oil drilled in the US. The proposal was such that if a company drilled oil in the US, they would have to sell it to the US at less than global market rates.
    Wow, that kind of proposal is going to make the oil companies jump for joy, cancel all of their foreign contracts and come drilling in the good old USA. EXXON has already stated that they will cut back 30% of their exploration budget for the US. Corporation taxes at 32% put American Corporation at a big disadvantage. EU taxes on corporations are less. Way to go, our dumb asses politicians in DC are trying to make us un-competitive.

It's their fault for relying on the government.

Right. You'd still vote for them.
    But it was FDR that started the SS fraud. It's the fault of the lib dems if you want to go that route.

Remember when W tried to allow us to do our own investing for SS? And the dems defeated any attempt of changing from the way things are.

Wait, that isn't the CHANGE Obama is talking about, is it?