1. #1 US island is sinking. Residents voted 90% Trump & do not believe in Climate Change. 
    link

Demovictory9 (1,244 posts)

US island is sinking. Residents voted 90% Trump & do not believe in Climate Change. This Virginia island was featured on public radio saturday. I don't have link to story

1. has 25 years left maybe. has lost 2/3rds of the island to water
    2. residents don't believe in climate change. Believe that "erosion by waves" is the cause of the problem.
    3. voted 90% Trump. get called stupid and other abuse after it was reported they voted for Trump
    4. Trump reached out to them after the prez election, implied they would get help, they haven't heard from him since.
    5. Need a seawall that will cost 30 million MINIMUM to save the island. Want gov to fund the seawall
    6. Only 500 residents.
    7. 18 miles off the cost of Virginia
    There were 2 videos I did not watch and did not bring over.

Half way thorough the thread someone posted information. Beyond that it was all hate, hate, hate, because they voted for President Trump.

Igel (27,403 posts)

19. And why are the natives wrong?

Because it doesn't suit our political agenda?

Look, Tangier Islands and some other islands around there are suffering from a shitload of reasons.

One is glacial rebound. The area's 'right-heighting' after the ice sheets melted. That's responsible for the island sinking. Notice that--it's the island that's sinking here, *not* "the seas rising to inundate the land." That's a large chunk of it. Yes, this is absolutely fundamentally a result of climate change and global warming. 12,000 years ago. Not a single thing we can do about that, unless we *want* glaciers to return to Manhatten so that New England is a glacial wonderland and Philadelphians have to go perhaps 2 mm to get shaved ice right from under their living room carpet.

Now, the sea level *is* rising. But that's not the #1 problem. It's not the #2 problem. It's the #3 problem. Maybe #4, but we can quibble over the numeration.

#2 is subsidence. All those nice people require water. The Bay around there is too brackish for drinking. So for hundreds of years they've had wells. Well, this does two things. It means salt water has infiltrated the aquifer. And, to the extent that the sea water's infiltration is slowed, it's caused the actual land to sink. More.

Then there's the political cause celebre, "the sea levels are rising, soon the Grand Tetons will be small islands for tourists to inhabit!" Or not. Let's put that at #3, but say that #3 and #4 are close to tied.

One thing that humans tend to do is clear vegetation. That means the heavily wooded periphery of the island with all the grass and tree roots that prevented erosion are gone. This means there's nothing preventing erosion. Hence, there's more erosion than in millennia past.

In fact, if you go back to look at maps of that part of the Bay from the 1600s and 1700s and 1800s, you'll find that entire islands are gone. This has been happening for a long time. It's not a modern thing. #3 might be a bit of a problem, but it's still #3 out of 4, and I'm only putting it #3 to indicate that I think it's a problem, not that it's actually the third in importance.
    smirkymonkey (32,177 posts) 2. Fuck 'em.

They vote Trump, they vote republican, they can suffer the consequences.

Demovictory9 (1,244 posts)

5. that's the kind of abuse they are getting. "I hope you drown"calls says mayor

after the prez election, story ran about them voting for Trump. abuse rained down on them.
    You mean LIBERALS were abusive because they think they are entitled to be abusive toward anyone who is not appropriately liberal.

DFW (28,777 posts)

4. They voted 90% Trump. Trump won't lift a finger to help them. They realize it now.

And they'll vote 90% Trump again in the next election. THAT'S when it gets REALLY hard to be sympathetic.
    Did Obama help them? Would a Democrat President help them now if he was President. Not likely.
    SCantiGOP (6,933 posts)

8. I was about to say this was pure BS

Misread it to be “Virgin Islands,” which I knew were not 2/3 underwater.
    Glad I re-read it. Hope Trump will throw them some much-needed super absorbent paper towels.
    beachbum bob (5,680 posts)

21. Good...we can save taxpayers some money

We can offer prayers and best wishes
    standingtall (1,350 posts)

25. I cannot feel sorry for these people

Something tells me if they can afford to live on an Island with less than 500 people than they can afford to move. Sure the government could help them save the island,but government can help other people too. They voted for Trump who clearly signaled he was going to try to hurt people.
    Glorfindel (5,847 posts) 28. Aw, gee, how unfortunate. They will have my thoughts and prayers any day now

just as soon as I can work it into my schedule. I have several shelves of books to dust, and three or four drawers need rearranging. But after that, I'll be sure to think and pray about these Trump supporters and their drowning island.
    Coventina (17,502 posts)

42. Hang on, let me get my violin.....

Initech (69,142 posts)

45. They voted for their own demise.

And if Hillary had been elected all of those islands would jump out of the water in celebration.

Just who is this “igel”? Haven’t ever seen this kind of common sense and real knowledge in a DU post.
    Last edited by Retread; 06-11-2018 at 11:15 AM.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

And what's happening in California? Earthquakes, forest fires, etc.
    The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    And what's happening in California? Earthquakes, forest fires, etc.
    I’m sure Trump caused it all.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    A man is but a product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes. Gandhi

They better no all run to one side of the island, it might tip over.
    I love the sound of liberal heads exploding in the morning!!

Toxically masculine and proud of it!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens.

They vote Trump, they vote republican, they can suffer the consequences.
    You didn't vote for Trump and you will suffer the consequences too. Have you thought about that?
    Liberals! The real fascists.

They vote Trump, they vote republican, they can suffer the consequences..
    Yeppers! I'm so "suffering" "the consequences"!
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Power CUer
    Islands erode without global warming. So do beaches. Some locales actually have long term engineering projects in place to hold onto or extend beaches so the water does not encroach on the beach town itself.

This is a normal process.