Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Supreme Court gives states the right to arbitrarily purge voters 
    link

egbertowillies (1,889 posts)

Supreme Court gives states the right to arbitrarily purge voters

If this is not a severe form of voter suppression then what is. The Supreme Court is codifying a state's right to discriminate against its citizens on just about any arbitrary reason. Worse the wording from Judge Alito should scare potential voters.

https://egbertowillies.com/2018/06/1...-purge-voters/
    Arbitrarily? This OP and the link says nothing about the actual Supreme Court decision. They're just bomb throwing for their low information followers and voters.

Here's more information.

link

DonViejo (44,013 posts) Supreme Court Greenlights Ohio's Voter Purge Policy

Source: Talking Points Memo

By Tierney Sneed | June 11, 2018 10:12 am

The Supreme Court on Monday approved of Ohio’s voter purge protocol, reversing an appeals court decision against it.

The 5-4 opinion was written by Justice Samuel Alito, with the four liberal justices dissenting.

The Ohio policy allows election officials to begin the purge process once a voter does not vote in a certain period of time. Under the regime, if a voter sits out one federal election, they are sent a notification from the state inquiring whether they still reside at the same address. If the voter does not return the card and sits out the next four years of federal elections, Ohio then removes them from the voter rolls.

Opponents of the policy argued that it violated the National Voter Registration Act’s provision prohibiting the removal of voters “by reason of the person’s failure to vote.”

Read more: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...io-voter-purge
    So voters are purged after they sit out one federal election, do not send back a card sent to them AND then sit out the next 4 years of federal elections. How arbitrary!/s

bucolic_frolic (9,765 posts)

1. Gorsuch is illegitimate

because the seat was stolen and he was nominated by an election thief

Just sayin'
    lagomorph777 (5,171 posts)

3. This is what happens when we let them get away with stealing.

We should've taken the nuclear option to confirm Garland.
    StevieM (7,588 posts)

14. Gorsuch is illegitimate because Comey and the FBI targeted the Democratic candidate

and destroyed her reputation. You cannot have an election on those terms.

So all of Trump's policies and nominees are illegitimate.
    They gave her a pass. ANYONE else would be in prison, not just not the president after losing an election.

dameatball (1,724 posts)

2. Absolute nonsense. If a person chooses not to vote for ten years, so what?
    elleng (83,348 posts)

5. Of course it is, but Ohio's been after 'them'/us for years,

and now it's 'officially' ok.

They are definitely not into democracy.
    If 'them/us' is people who vote more than once - voting for dead people or those that don't vote then I'm sure that's true. Good.
    TimeSnowDemos (424 posts)

4. Who's surprised?

No one.

As has happened over and over in US history, voting rights are either stripped away from or never granted to certain groups.

Why?

To drive down participation.

Not that it really matter in America, which is hardly a properly functioning democracy.

Still, even in that context, this is depressing.
    JohnnyRingo (12,119 posts)

28. "When people vote, democrats win."

I don't know how many times I've heard that, and it's true. That's because people who identify with democratic principles outnumber republicans by far. The problem is... we don't vote. We have every excuse not to, and I've heard them all because I make a point to enlist at least two people who have never cast a vote every election. Even then, getting them into the booth on election day can be an uphill push all the way.

On the other hand, those raised in conservative homes vote as a family birthright. They're taught from an young age that even if there's nothing on the ballot except dogcatcher, they must get their asses in there early and vote for the republican dogcatcher.
    TimeSnowDemos (424 posts)

29. Yes but

Millions of democrats have had their votes stolen, millions more face voter suppression... And frankly millions of poor people and minorities think there's not much point. The US system is so very cruel, under both parties, that it's hard to not at least have sympathy.

Dems are many millions of times better than GOPers, which is pretty obvious, but for millions it truly is the difference between starving and being starved.
    Democrats hate anything that discourages or prevents illegal voting.

The 9th circus court will rule this unconstitutional because it discriminates against dead people.
    I love the sound of liberal heads exploding in the morning!!

Toxically masculine and proud of it!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    It is so hard to keep up, I thought that according to liberals the Supreme court decisions were written by the gods in stone.
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

So voters are purged after they sit out one federal election, do not send back a card sent to them AND then sit out the next 4 years of federal elections. How arbitrary!/s
    That DUpipo would lie about the case is unsurprising. That TPM would accurately represent the issue decided is kind of surprising.

AFAIK, many/most US states have similar laws. This case probably arose from an OH SecState declining to maintain the state's voter roles and a new one choosing to start enforcing the law again. Years of neglect would result in a fairly large-scale "purge", with plenty of race-baiter groups eager to politicize it. This should have been a 9-0 decision.

DU atheists are probably praying for RBG's health.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    This voter suppression nonsense is why libs are demanding illegal immigrants to flood the country and be granted the right to vote.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    This voter suppression nonsense is why libs are demanding illegal immigrants to flood the country and be granted the right to vote.
    Yeah, going through cemeteries and registering dead people is no longer enough.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    We should've taken the nuclear option to confirm Garland.
    You Idiots never had the option to do the Nuclear option because you never had control of the Senate or the House.

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypse View Post
    You Idiots never had the option to do the Nuclear option because you never had control of the Senate or the House.
    Not the brightest bulbs are they. And they wonder why we call them Dems.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    Yeah, going through cemeteries and registering dead people is no longer enough.
    Yeah, I think every cemetery in Chicago has a full list of active voters. To vote four or five times.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by Old n Grumpy View Post
    The 9th circus court will rule this unconstitutional because it discriminates against dead people.
    9th circus cannot overturn a decision by the SCOTUS.
    The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.