Thread: World Cup 2018

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 World Cup 2018 
    I know, everybody doesn't give a rat's ass about it, but I've always critiqued it since the internet was invented.

2-billion fans out there. -oop, gotta run. I'll be bakkkk

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Been hearing since I was a kid that soccer/football would take over the U.S. 30 some years later, still is largely irrelevant in the U.S. Sure, it has gained some ground. But compared to the world, it barely registers.

Football & basketball have prospered, baseball maintains its base, hockey has dropped.

Regardless, good for the U.S. to get the FIFA World Cup. Excellent for business in those local sites. Plus, the U.S. would automatically qualify. Unlike this year.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Been hearing since I was a kid that soccer/football would take over the U.S. 30 some years later, still is largely irrelevant in the U.S. Sure, it has gained some ground. But compared to the world, it barely registers.

Football & basketball have prospered, baseball maintains its base, hockey has dropped.

Regardless, good for the U.S. to get the FIFA World Cup. Excellent for business in those local sites. Plus, the U.S. would automatically qualify. Unlike this year.
    Advertisers haven't figured out a successful way to advertise during soccer games. No breaks for commercials kind of limits how much they can do. Once they come up with a way of selling stuff then they will push the sport big time.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Advertisers haven't figured out a successful way to advertise during soccer games. No breaks for commercials kind of limits how much they can do. Once they come up with a way of selling stuff then they will push the sport big time.

True. Yet it's a 'silent' security trade-show exhibition. The latest everything being used. You would've read about a lot of the tech on Wired, etc., a few years ago for 2018. There won't be anything much now, till after it's over.

I know fans are being warned about being hacked.

Russia should take Group-A.
    Spain should win Group-B.
    Australia edges France in Group-C.
    Gotta go with Iceland in Group-D.
    Brazil should win Group-E.
    Germany, in Group-F.
    England over Belgium in Group-G.
    Japan should lock-down Group-H.

Countries with zero immigrant-strife: Japan, Iceland, Brazil, and Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post

Guess you missed the million or so Capitals fans who turned out for their parade?
    The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Guess you missed the million or so Capitals fans who turned out for their parade?
    Of course I heard about that. I enjoy the hell out of playoff hockey especially. Seems to me that baseball and hockey are huge in their local markets. But not nationally. The sports networks are just gaga over the NFL & NBA. For whatever reason, in those sports people are fans of players rather than teams.

I see the Russians are Trumping the Saudis.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    I see the Russians are Trumping the Saudis.
    ROFL!!!

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post

Hard to miss that. When the Red Wings won their first cup in over 40 years (in 1997), a million or more people showed up for the parade. If the Lions ever win the Super Bowl, the party will be amazing.

Detroit's trying to get a pro soccer team. Kids like the sport, so it could be a good thing downtown. Better than a half-finished jail that's been half-finished for over a decade.