1. #1 Michigan Christian university wins suit against abortion-pill mandate 
    link

TexasTowelie (52,079 posts)

Michigan Christian university wins suit against abortion-pill mandate

A federal judge on Tuesday ruled in favor of two Christian colleges suing the government to avoid paying for abortion-related healthcare under a controversial Obama-era mandate.

After the U.S. Justice Department dropped its opposition to the lawsuit, U.S. District Court Judge Mark W. Bennett in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, ruled that the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) no longer could enforce the mandate against Cornerstone University in Grand Rapids and Dordt College in Sioux Center, Iowa.

The mandate, also known as the “abortion-pill mandate,” was part of former President Barack Obama’s major healthcare reforms. It required that all health insurance providers – including universities and employers – supply access to abortions, birth control, family planning and similar resources, regardless of potential religious convictions against such medicine. If universities declined to do so, they faced steep fees.

Tuesday’s court ruling permanently blocked enforcement of the HHS mandate against Cornerstone and Dordt and judged that the mandate violates the Religious Freedom Restoration Act.

Read more: https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...uit/698548002/
    PoindexterOglethorpe (6,091 posts)

2. Jesus.

I constantly say, "If you don't believe in abortion, then don't have one." Beyond that, you have zero standing to tell anyone else they can't have one, no matter how strongly you feel on that topic. Because, trust me, there are plenty who feel just as strongly otherwise. So DON'T for one minute think you should impose your beliefs on me. (But Jack*sses think they should impose THEIR beliefs on conservatives.) And no, my thinking it's okay for a woman to have an abortion when you believe otherwise is NOT imposing my beliefs on you.(Forcing them to pay for it is. As is forcing someone to bake a same sex wedding cake.) Let's go back to my original statement: If you don't believe in abortion, then don't have one.

I am so fucking sick of this shit. (Awwww....too bad. Want an abortion....pay for it yourself)

I'm old enough to have come of age before Roe v Wade. I remember all too clearly women who were desperate, who were pregnant and didn't want to be pregnant.

In all of this, where are the men who created these pregnancies? It seems as if in the anti-choice world women are totally responsible, that somehow men are never involved at all.

God, I'm sick of this.
    This lawsuit wasn't telling women they cannot have an abortion - but those who think abortion is killing an unborn baby and it's against what they believe should NOT be FORCED to pay for it.

Here's an idea. All you people get together, create a fund, send money to the fund and then pay for the women's abortion pills. Problem solved.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Carol, awesome job refuting that asinine comment.
    They seriously don't get that it's not that we think they shouldn't have abortions or whatnot: It's that we believe their pro- life employers shouldn't BE FORCED TO PAY FOR THEM!
    To do so forces them to act against the teachings of their faith and the dictates of their consciences, in violation of their First Amendment right to Freedom of Religion. Obama thus had no right to pass that mandate.

"I'm old enough to have come of age before Roe v Wade."
    Oh, you mean the sham trial in which the woman who was the "Roe" openly lied about having been raped in order to gain more sympathy?
    Fortunately, she eventually repented of her actions, found Jesus, and spent the rest of her life as a dedicated pro- life activist.

I constantly say, "If you don't believe in abortion, then don't have one."
    So what you're saying is, "choose life"?

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Here's an idea. All you people get together, create a fund, send money to the fund and then pay for the women's abortion pills. Problem solved.
    That makes sense to me and I usually follow my mind my own business rule. It seems like we don't have any idea how many of these decrees that kenyan made but just slowly discovering all that have been sitting in our court system.. He was one lawless individual and for the life of me I cannot figure out how such a lawless person could possibly be a constitutional scholar, he was a street corner scholar and a very poor one at that.

When I last lived in GR, Cornerstone University was still Grand Rapids Baptist College and Seminary and was really small. They have grown big since then. A couple of my coworkers at IHOP went there, it was a really strict school, much stricter than Calvin College was.

PORCUS STAPHUS ADMIN Rockntractor's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    When I last lived in GR, Cornerstone University was still Grand Rapids Baptist College and Seminary and was really small. They have grown big since then. A couple of my coworkers at IHOP went there, it was a really strict school, much stricter than Calvin College was.
    This would chap Calvin's hide!
    Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
    Who substitute darkness for light and light for darkness;
    Who substitute bitter for sweet and sweet for bitter!
    21 Woe to those who are wise in their own eyes
    And clever in their own sight! Isaiah 5:20-21 NASB

PoindexterOglethorpe (6,091 posts)

2. Jesus.

I constantly say, "If you don't believe in abortion, then don't have one." Beyond that, you have zero standing to tell anyone else they can't have one, no matter how strongly you feel on that topic.
    let me rephrase that thought

"If you don't want to watch Fox News or eat at Chick Fil A, then don't . Beyond that, you have zero standing to tell anyone else what to watch or where to eat, no matter how strongly you feel on that topic."
    The price of freedom is something the protected will never know.

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

Power CUer
    I constantly say, "If you don't believe in abortion, then don't have one."
    And we don't. We also should not have to pay for yours.

In fact, for the truly religious, we MUST not pay for yours as a condition of our faith. This is why we fight public funding. This is why large religious institutions fight government mandates requiring that they both provide and fund abortions.

DUpipo on

Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!