Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Update: Hikers Found 
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska ó Ground and air crews were planning to resume a search Tuesday for two women ó one a Minnesotan ó missing on what was supposed to be a short backpacking trip in Denali National Park and Preserve.

Searchers and dogs were looking for Abby Flantz, 25, of Gaylord, Minn., and Erica Nelson, 23, of Las Vegas. The women were reported overdue Saturday when they did not show up for work at a hotel outside the park.

Park spokeswoman Kris Fister said Nelson was supposed to be on a plane Sunday night to fly to Houston, where she was set to be maid of honor in a sister's wedding.

"So they had a reason to be back," Fister said.

Ground and air crews have searched nearly 100 square miles of the nearly 9,400-square-mile park. Searchers were planning to camp out Monday night about three miles from where the women were last seen, Fister said.

The women were last seen Thursday at the Savage River check station about 15 miles from park headquarters. They had planned to return Friday.

Flantz's family still lives in Gaylord, where her parents, Jim and Kathy Flantz, were keeping a vigil by the phone Monday. They planned to fly to Alaska on Tuesday.
    Link

I haven't been following the news lately and missed this.

ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Two young women hiking in Alaska's Denali National Park were found alive and well Wednesday, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

The families of Abby Flantz, 25, of Gaylord, Minn., and 23-year-old Erica Nelson of Las Vegas were at the park and would be reunited with the young women shortly, Fister said.

The pair hadn't been seen since last week. They disappeared during what was supposed to be a short backpacking trip through the preserve.
    Link to good news
    Last edited by Phillygirl; 06-18-2008 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillygirl View Post
    ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Two young women hiking in Alaska's Denali National Park were found alive and well Wednesday, park spokeswoman Kris Fister said in a statement.

The families of Abby Flantz, 25, of Gaylord, Minn., and 23-year-old Erica Nelson of Las Vegas were at the park and would be reunited with the young women shortly, Fister said.

The pair hadn't been seen since last week. They disappeared during what was supposed to be a short backpacking trip through the preserve.
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,...k to good news]
    The link isn't working, says "page not found".

Was thinking of you with your hikes when I heard this. Be very careful in Canyonlands.
    Last edited by Phillygirl; 06-18-2008 at 07:38 PM.

Sorry about that. I must have missed a copy past edit.

No worries about me in the Canyonlands and Arches...it will be all guided tours. I'm just worried about the facilities that will be available on the white water rafting!!

Sorry about that. I must have missed a copy past edit.

No worries about me in the Canyonlands and Arches...it will be all guided tours. I'm just worried about the facilities that will be available on the white water rafting!!
    Glad to hear it. There are some places where guided tours are good. A case in point was my trip to Africa, particularly when the tire blew in one of the safari vehicles a short distance from a pride of lions ripping apart a wildebeast. I was glad that 3 vans were together and all stayed together til the tire was changed. :D

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Erica Nelson looks like an Alaskan native !

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Glad to hear it. There are some places where guided tours are good. A case in point was my trip to Africa, particularly when the tire blew in one of the safari vehicles a short distance from a pride of lions ripping apart a wildebeast. I was glad that 3 vans were together and all stayed together til the tire was changed. :D
    I'll probably do a few hours in Arches without a tour, but honestly I found a tour package that included everything and since I'm bringing a youngin with me I thought it would be fun for him to be with some other kids as well. I'm still debating on whether or not to try the canyoneering. It looks like a lot of fun, but I've never done it before.

I'll probably do a few hours in Arches without a tour, but honestly I found a tour package that included everything and since I'm bringing a youngin with me I thought it would be fun for him to be with some other kids as well. I'm still debating on whether or not to try the canyoneering. It looks like a lot of fun, but I've never done it before.
    You should be fine in the Arches w/o a tour. I walked around quite a while there. There are definite paths and more visitors. Canyonlands was a wilderness, pristine and almost deserted.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    You should be fine in the Arches w/o a tour. I walked around quite a while there. There are definite paths and more visitors. Canyonlands was a wilderness, pristine and almost deserted.
    Oh. I didn't know that. Now I want to make certain to check out Canyonlands sans tour.

Oh. I didn't know that. Now I want to make certain to check out Canyonlands sans tour.
    I think it's the area where the hiker got caught in a rock and had to hack off his own arm. It was that deserted. No one was around. Just be very, very careful.