Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 NBC Explains How Shotguns Are Reverse Funnels Of Death 
    In yesterday’s shooting at a Maryland newspaper, the killer used a 12-gauge shotgun. This was very disappointing to ghoulish liberals who were hoping the victims were gunned down with an AR-15 to help push their efforts to ban all semi-automatic firearms. Shotguns are generally pump-action and liberals have yet to pounce on these weapons, but after some careful consideration, NBC came up with a way to demonize them. According to the liberal news network, shotguns are reverse funnels of death that require no skill to use, so obviously they must go too.

Here’s dumb tweet, not-so-coincidentally enough from a dumb person:

Twiiter post by Andrea Mitchell

.@PeteWilliamsNBC on the weapon used in the newsroom shooting: a shotgun is like a backwards funnel, you don’t have to have direct aim to hurt a lot of people. It was purchased legally. #AMR

It should be noted that Pete Williams is NBC Supreme Court correspondent and not their resident gun expert, though you probably figured that out from the tweet. The narrative they are trying to push is that shotguns are so easy to use that people can just aim them in any direction and kill lots of people. This is of course pure bullshit, but it’s not like the leftist news has ever gotten anything about guns right.

https://downtrend.com/71superb/nbc-e...nels-of-death/
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

Shotguns are not easy to use. They are heavy and difficult to aim. You have to reload them, which is how this guy got caught by the police as opposed to having his head blown off by the police.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Shotguns are not easy to use. They are heavy and difficult to aim. You have to reload them, which is how this guy got caught by the police as opposed to having his head blown off by the police.
    From what i understand is that the pump on shotguns eject the shells out of the gun.

I think i recall a kungfu,i think a Jackie Chan film where Jackie Chan's character or another character grabbed a hold of someone's shotgun and starting pumping the pump on the shotgun to eject shells. I wonder how well that would work irl

Pump shotguns do eject spent shells and load the next one in the magazine. Maybe my memory is out of date, but I think common magazines hold 5 shells, and in some states (it was this way in CA) had to be limited mechanically so as to hold only three. After the last shell in the magazine the user would have to remove the empty magazine and reload it, or insert another, pre-loaded, magazine.

The point of the OP article is that real life shotguns do not spread pellets in a pattern anything like a funnel. The pattern at 50 or 60 yards might be several inches in diameter. Far from point in a general direction and expecting to hit your target. And at a distance of 10-20 feet not aiming is aiming to miss.

The talking head at NBC, Pete Williams demonstrated his utter ignorance about guns. Unsurprisingly.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

…not to mention a 12 gauge has a serious kick to it that in itself makes it a little more difficult to use than these NBC experts would have you believe.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    …not to mention a 12 gauge has a serious kick to it that in itself makes it a little more difficult to use than these NBC experts would have you believe.
    I'm a bit and would love to see a couple of those "experts" try to shoot skeet with a 12 gauge double barrel. I would anticipate a fair amount of amusement. As noonie posted above, that is not a light gun. Besides the kick, I suspect the "experts" would not understand the necessity of having the gun firmly against the shoulder when they fire. I'm .

I suspect the "experts" would not understand the necessity of having the gun firmly against the shoulder when they fire.
    I made that mistake the first time I shot one. It only took once to learn that lesson for life.

1. The magazine of a pump gun is built into it, you don't change magazines, you reload by stuffing new shells into it one at a time. Several 'Quick reload' tube designs have been tried over the decades but none of them have ever caught on.

2. The Jackie Chan thing wouldn't work on a gun in working order. The bolt locks in the closed position until the trigger is pulled, there is a release (Usually just above the trigger) if you want to cycle the action to unload the chamber without firing it, but it's impossible to do that with one hand.

3. I don't know why they added three extra letters to 'Fun.'

It looks like I under-estimated the spread some of pellets shot by a shotgun. This article gives the results of testing several shot sizes, at 7, 15, and 25 yards. For in-home defense, the 21 feet of the shortest distance is close to the full length of many rooms, and the 45 feet of the medium distance is farther than the full length of most rooms in most houses. I'll leave the full info on the test and the results to any who are curious enough to read the article. The spread patterns at 7 yards (21 feet):

* 8 shot, 16 inches;

* 6 shot, 16 inches;

* 00 buck shot, 7-8 inches.

This is hardly a, "reverse funnel of death that require no skill to use," (the words of the article, not the NBC "reporter". Plus or minus a couple of inches, the 6 and 8 shot will spread to about the width of a person's body. So aiming is definitely required. And while the spread pattern is sort of conical, it's nothing like a fast widening funnel.

How seriously would an attacker/intruder be injured? Results vary with where the shot hit, distance, shot size, and, with the smaller (6 and 8) shot, the attacker/intruder's clothing. 6 or 8 shot to the face would probably cause serious injury, and 00 buck could kill. OTOH, with a jacket or sweatshirt and a regular shirt and barring a "lucky perfect hit" to a major artery or vein, a torso hit from across a with 6 or 8 shot would probably drive away the intruder, but they would have to go to the ER. As for the 00 buck shot, its use in hunting is for deer and similarly sized game. A torso hit with that is going to be serious or fatal, but there are are much fewer pellets and the pattern from across the room will be half the width of a person's body (requiring a more precise aim).

I'm not speaking from much experience, so I'd be happy to be corrected by someone with greater experience and expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    I'm a bit and would love to see a couple of those "experts" try to shoot skeet with a 12 gauge double barrel. I would anticipate a fair amount of amusement. As noonie posted above, that is not a light gun. Besides the kick, I suspect the "experts" would not understand the necessity of having the gun firmly against the shoulder when they fire. I'm .

I tried it at a retreat a few years ago, and missed all three targets. The instructor told me I handled the kickback well. But I think I used a single barrel. It looked more like a rifle than my neighbor's shotgun does.