1. #1 Bookstore owner calls 911 when customer confronts Bannon 
    link

Judi Lynn (122,254 posts) Bookstore owner calls 911 when customer confronts Bannon

Source: Associated Press

Updated 3:51 pm CDT, Sunday, July 8, 2018

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — A Virginia bookstore owner called police after he says a customer began harassing former White House strategist Steve Bannon in his shop.

The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that Nick Cooke, owner of Black Swan Books in Richmond, called 911 Saturday afternoon after witnessing a woman confront Bannon and call him a "piece of trash."

Steve Bannon has once again argued that Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. would “be proud of what Donald Trump has done for black and Hispanic working class.”

Cooke said Bannon was minding his own business when the woman began harassing him. Cooke asked the woman to leave. She did so only after he called police.

Read more: https://www.chron.com/news/us/articl...s-13058152.php
    machoneman (463 posts)

1. Awwh, poor Stevie! Confronted by a gal!

I do hope locals make this RW book store owner pay, big time, for his action!
    Jedi Guy (471 posts)
    19. How do you know the owner is a right-winger?

Just because he asked her to leave the store? I'd do the exact same thing if someone started harassing people in my store. Quite apart from the politics, I wouldn't want that kind of drama in my establishment.

Your reaction is exactly the reason. If the owner did nothing, the right would boycott the store. If the owner asked her to leave, the left would boycott the store, as you're advocating.

So no matter what the owner does in this situation, he or she is the loser, not Bannon or the lady who approached him. I wouldn't want my business being dragged into political squabbles, and I imagine this business owner didn't want it, either.

SunSeeker (29,547 posts)

37. Calling out racists is not a mere "political squabble."

It is the moral duty of ever American.
    Yes, we know, that's the excuse the left uses for their hateful and violent rhetoric and actions. They lie about conservatives and then justify their hate. That's the left for you.

sandensea (4,403 posts)

2. As much as that fat bastard deserves it, she shouldn't have.

She only makes herself - and to some extent the rest of us - look intolerant and hostile, while making a real lowlife like Bannon look like the victim.

Which of course is exactly what they want.
    SunSeeker (29,547 posts)

4. Since when is intolerance of a white supremacist a bad thing?

No, they need to be shamed. They need to feel the heat for their horrific, racist positions. It is fucking about time they did. This woman is excercising her 1st Amendment rights. She did not assault Bannon.
    And yes. Here we have another narcissistic, liberal supremacist, Jack*ss that thinks that calling someone a "white supremacist" that it makes it so and justifies his/her unhinged vengeful HATE and justifies violent behavior.

brush (17,960 posts)

16. I absolutely agree with you. Aunt Maxine put out the work and...

people are following up—Sarah H. Sanders, Kirstjen Nielsen, Steven Miller, now white supremacist Bannon—have all been publicly shamed, and they deserve it
    So they think. The only people 'shamed' are leftists by this kind of behavior.

SunSeeker (29,547 posts)

34. The story does not state how long she was there after Cooke "asked" her to leave.

Seems to me Cooke didn't wait long after seeing what was going on to call the police:

The Richmond Times-Dispatch reports that Nick Cooke, owner of Black Swan Books in Richmond, called 911 Saturday afternoon after witnessing a woman confront Bannon and call him a "piece of trash."

As a bookstore owner, you'd think he would be a bit more tolerant of 1st Amendment expressions. If Bannon had his way, women would all lose autonomy over our own bodies, and he was instrumental in installing a disastrous presidency, which is caging babies as we speak.

So she didn't scoot out of there fast enough for you and Mr. Cooke? Tough. Fuck civility when it comes to people like Bannon and Trump.

The world should not be a comfortable place for white supremacists. We have coddled them for far too long and this is where that got us.
    BumRushDaShow (32,844 posts)

9. No.

Bullies need to be halted in their track. You may give them some "turn the other cheek" leeway initially but when they refuse to stop then you confront them.

They may make you think that confrontation is what they want, but in reality, these well-to-do "bullies" are a bunch of cowards. That's why they start whining when you DO confront them.
    The only "BULLIES" are those on the left who think their anger at being out of power politically ENTITLES them to harass those they hate. Because that is all this is.
    Jedi Guy (471 posts)

29. Agreed.

While it's very emotionally gratifying to do these kinds of things, it's ultimately counterproductive. They get to play the role of the victim being accosted by those hysterical angry lib'ruls. And make no mistake, that's exactly how they'll spin every one of these confrontations.

The other thing is that it gives them free license to do the same when there's a Democratic President and Cabinet in office. Turnabout is fair play, and don't think they won't gleefully harass every Democratic official they can find. They absolutely will when the time comes.

As satisfying as it is, I just don't think it's a productive tactic.
    sandensea (4,403 posts)

32. There you have it.

That's the very thing we were discussing with Johnny Ringo (just above).

He may deserve every insult in the book and then some; but there's politics to consider. How it plays in Peoria.

The best thing that could happen, is to let these people hang themselves.
    WhoWoodaKnew (653 posts)

7. This kind of stuff plays right into the hands of Republicans. How many more elections do we want

them to win?
    summer_in_TX (189 posts)

22. Confronting these people in public is counter-productive.

It deepens the culture war and gives Trump and all the demagogues in right wing media something true-ish to cudgel the left with.

The research on shaming shows it's singularly ineffective in producing positive change. Some have been shamed to death, others just bury the shame. It's likely to bust out in harmful ways.

Feeling guilt however can lead to remorse and positive change.

These rude confrontations do not win us friends in any way, shape, or form. They feel so satisfying though. It's seductive. But it causes people to identify with them and imagine how they'd feel in that situation, and I for one am not a fan of making them seem like someone with whom to sympathize.

I heard an NPR piece this morning on how fired up Republicans are this year for the mid-terms. It's not going to be at all easy. If we are widely perceived as angry, rude people who will stop at nothing to destroy Trump (as we are often being portrayed), it doesn't help us.
    EndGOPPropaganda (198 posts)

55. THIS IS A RIGHT-WING TALKING POINT. Repubs WANT us to be silent

Remember the goal of Republicans is to keep acting like everything is normal while they stuff the judiciary full of ideologues.

OUR goal, on the other hand: Raise an outcry. This is not normal. We should act like it.
    LOL. It might be a "right wing talking point" but it's true. Better for us in November that they don't listen though.
    SunSeeker (29,547 posts)

58. Thank you!

machoneman (463 posts)
    I do hope locals make this RW book store owner pay, big time, for his action!
    From the bookstore's webpage:

We buy and sell fine, unusual and rare books in most fields. We have a diverse stock catering to a variety of interests with particular emphasis in Antiquarian books, Americana, Civil War, History, Scholarly books, Art and Architecture. Additionally, we have an ever-increasing selection of prints, maps, and printed ephemera.
    This isn't a store like that now closed feminazi bookstore in Portland. It's very unique, with a somewhat limited clientele of collectors who come for a specialized service rather than current-commodity fiction and non-fiction books. Also from their Main Page (probably temporary):

Regarding an Incident in Black Swan Books in Richmond:

On Saturday, July 7 2018, a person entered Black Swan Books and repeatedly shouted obscenities at a customer, Steve Bannon. While I personally disagree strongly with Mr. Bannon's political views, I will not allow someone to shout obscenities at any customer in our bookstore. I certainly regret that some are upset or offended. I did my best to deal with an unexpected and difficult situation.
    Sounds like the obscenities-shouting Prog was not a customer of the store, but someone who had spotted Bannon and followed him into the store for the sole purpose of harassing him. BTW, I took a few minutes to email the store to express my appreciation for their professionalism.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

Quote Originally Posted by SVPete View Post
    From the bookstore's webpage:

This isn't a store like that now closed feminazi bookstore in Portland. It's very unique, with a somewhat limited clientele of collectors who come for a specialized service rather than current-commodity fiction and non-fiction books. Also from their Main Page (probably temporary):

Sounds like the obscenities-shouting Prog was not a customer of the store, but someone who had spotted Bannon and followed him into the store for the sole purpose of harassing him. BTW, I took a few minutes to email the store to express my appreciation for their professionalism.

We have a store like that in downtown Detroit, John King Books. It's a 4 story warehouse filled with used books. I've found several great antique books there over the years, as I have a small collection and add to it occasionally (most are gifts from my mom, though). They buy books from estates, too, so there are sometimes some really awesome and well-preserved items to choose from.

I don't care if it's a bookstore like that or a Barnes and Noble, a bookstore manager can't allow one customer to attack another. And they can't let their staff intervene, unless they are part of a shopping center with security to deal with such situations. He or she has to call the police.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    We have a store like that in downtown Detroit, John King Books. It's a 4 story warehouse filled with used books. I've found several great antique books there over the years, as I have a small collection and add to it occasionally (most are gifts from my mom, though). They buy books from estates, too, so there are sometimes some really awesome and well-preserved items to choose from.

I don't care if it's a bookstore like that or a Barnes and Noble, a bookstore manager can't allow one customer to attack another. And they can't let their staff intervene, unless they are part of a shopping center with security to deal with such situations. He or she has to call the police.
    Powell's in Portland, OR is like that, too, and there's a similar, much smaller, store in Palo Alto.

This is why you couldn't fit on DU, noonie. DU members are split between cheering the obscenity-spewing female and saying they agree with her but what she did is politically unwise. You see it as a simple customer service thing, which is what I said in my email to the bookstore. The political views of target and the screamer are irrelevant to being professional.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

SunSeeker (29,547 posts)

4. Since when is intolerance of a white supremacist a bad thing?
    so says the party of tolerance.....
    "People who think they know it all, are annoying to those of us who really do".... Pyro Bob

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Most bookstores tend to be a liberal bastion. Doesn't reduce my enjoyment of visiting them.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Keep it up Libtards, keep it up...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    so says the party of tolerance.....
    They say this too:
    sandensea (4,403 posts)

2. As much as that fat bastard deserves it, she shouldn't have.

She only makes herself - and to some extent the rest of us - look intolerant and hostile, while making a real lowlife like Bannon look like the victim.

Which of course is exactly what they want.
    Way to fat shame there DUmmie. Remember, when you point one chubby sausage-like finger at someone you will have 3 chubby, sausage-like fingers pointing back at you.
    Not PTArmigan. Just Anti Anti-gun.

" brush (17,960 posts)

16. I absolutely agree with you. Aunt Maxine put out the work and...

people are following up—Sarah H. Sanders, Kirstjen Nielsen, Steven Miller, now white supremacist Bannon—have all been publicly shamed, and they deserve it"

"Aunt Maxine"?
    Okay, to refer to a political official in that way is beyond creepy. That's going right into "Cult of personality" territory.