1. #1 Ford adds to holiday shutdown at 10 plants 
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    NEW YORK (Associated Press) - Ford says it will shut down 10 of its North American assembly plants for an extra week in January due to the slumping U.S. auto market.

Spokeswoman Angie Kozleski says the normal two-week holiday shutdown will be extended to Jan. 12 at all operating assembly plants except those in Claycomo, Mo., near Kansas City and the Dearborn, Mich., truck plant.

Those two plants will return to work as normal on Jan. 5. Both make the new F-150 pickup truck, while Claycomo also makes the Ford Escape and Mercury Mariner.

Ford will also extend the shutdown at some engine, transmission and parts stamping plants, or shut portions of them to match production cuts at the assembly plants.

LINK

It gets better and better...
    May the FORCE be with you!

Great, all my neighbors are going to be sitting at home and drinking beer all day while their plants are closed. I have the Chrysler Stamping plant around the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Great, all my neighbors are going to be sitting at home and drinking beer all day while their plants are closed. I have the Chrysler Stamping plant around the corner.
    Yep, and since I heard they will still be getting something like 95% of their pay for not working, they will be able to afford LOTS of beer.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Yep, and since I heard they will still be getting something like 95% of their pay for not working, they will be able to afford LOTS of beer.
    Yeah, between unemployment and subpay, it might seem like that. It's also based on "base pay" which excludes overtime, bonus, piecework, etc...on top of alot of folks have to use a certain amount of vacation time first, before this kicks in....but it remains a sweet deal for the worker, that's for sure.

But of course, these types of pay plans were put together when there were plenty of jobs and the companies did not want to risk the loss of a skilled workforce in the event of a short term lay-off. Right now they are paying the workers to build cars that no one will purchase...so this will still save alot of cost.