1. #1 In Detroit, power outages have knocked out 14 polling locations and they are turning 
    link

Detroit had storms during the night and in some places the electricity was out this morning.

Response? IT'S THE RUSSIANS!!!

kpete (60,305 posts)

In Detroit, power outages have knocked out 14 polling locations and they are turning voters away

Call our office at 313-694-3606 if you have any problems voting today!

The power was out at at least 14 Wayne County polling sites this morning following a round of overnight storms, DTE reports.

Voters are casting ballots in a statewide primary election today. As of noon, five of the affected sites were still without power, but were due to be back online by 2 p.m, DTE said.

Poll workers at Zion Chapel near Detroit's North Corktown were sharing a single flashlight and relying on a small generator to keep things moving along this morning, Rashida Tlaib, a Democrat running for Michigan's 13th Congressional District said. The power was also out at Gompers Elementary in the city's Rosedale Park neighborhood, where five precincts vote, Tlaib said.
    Rashida For Congress @RashidaTlaib
    · 11h

Zion Chapel (3000 24th St., Detroit, MI 48216) is without electricity, and is running on a mini-generator. Poll workers are sharing a single flashlight, elevator is out of service, we need the power on ASAP! @DTE_Energy @freep @detroitnews @Local4News @FOX2News @wxyzdetroit
    Rashida For Congress @RashidaTlaib

Voter sent us this picture of Zion Chapel - note the small generator and darkened polling place. @DTE_Energy pic.twitter.com/Z6leW8cgax

8:40 AM - Aug 7, 2018
    Voting can still continue throughout the outage even if the tabulator’s battery runs down, SOS spokesman Fred Woodhams says. The precincts have paper voter lists and secure voter ballots they can tally once power is restored, or hand count if need be.

https://www.metrotimes.com/news-hits...-power-outages
    gratuitous (61,505 posts)

1. So do I need to guess the demographics of the affected areas?

Or can I save some time by making unwarranted assumptions?
    NewJeffCT (49,002 posts)

3. Were the power outages really caused by storms?

or, was Michigan one of the power grids infiltrated by Russia?
    workinclasszero (24,836 posts)

9. Gee that's soooooooooo convenent for the GOP
    By far the largest dem stronghold in the state loses power on Election Day!!!
    MichMan (1,801 posts)

18. It's a primary in a city that votes 95 % Democratic

How does that help the GOP. ?
    Pobeka (2,100 posts)

12. What was the name of that country that has been detected inside our power grid control systems?

Started with an "R" I think. I guess there is more than one way to disrupt and election.

-- just sayin' ...
    Submariner (8,883 posts)

16. This Tuesday voting crap has to end

It's f'ing ridiculous.

Change voting to a full weekend so people can get there without jumping through these unnecessary hoops.
    0rganism (21,057 posts)

24. this shortly after a DHS announce on Russian power-grid hacks...

proof-of-concept or shot-across-the-bow? i'm thinking proof-of-concept on this one, small scale and low political impact keep it off the radar, gets written off as a fluke, still provides excellent probitive value for November.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Who is handling the VRWC weather machine tonight to meddle in elections today?
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Power was on at my precinct in Warren. There were a bunch of traffic lights out yesterday on my morning commute, most were fixed by lunch time.

It's weird, we had rain Monday night at my house, but not thunderstorms. My dog panics in the latter and would have woken me

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    Who is handling the VRWC weather machine tonight to meddle in elections today?
    I believe that Haliburton still has that contract. They did so well with Hurricane Katrina back in 2005, why make a change now?
    "People who think they know it all, are annoying to those of us who really do".... Pyro Bob

"Even if Trump didn't pay Russian hookers to pee on one another to defile a bed the Obamas once slept on it sounds like something he would do and that's all that matters." DemocratSinceBirth, Wed Jan 11, 2017, 09:32 AM

"Enemy. The word you are looking for is enemy. When the ideals of someone are antithetical to yours, you can say the word "enemy". DUmmy ret5hd Fri Aug 24, 2018, 05:10 PM

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlr Pyro View Post
    I believe that Haliburton still has that contract. They did so well with Hurricane Katrina back in 2005, why make a change now?
    Dick Cheney still has the master key. According to liberal fantasy land.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    Power was on at my precinct in Warren. There were a bunch of traffic lights out yesterday on my morning commute, most were fixed by lunch time.

It's weird, we had rain Monday night at my house, but not thunderstorms. My dog panics in the latter and would have woken me
    How far are you from where these storms were reported in the OP?

Power CUer
    Russian bots caused the thunderstorms.