Thread: Festive Friday

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Festive Friday 
    Power CUer
    We're coming into the home stretch, campers. Six days to go.
    It's rainy and foggy in the town on the Potomac, this morning. I'm hoping to leave early to get ready for the open house we're having tomorrow.

TOTD: Do you still give parties? We still give at least one a year, sometimes more, but large-scale entertaining seems to be dying out. Do people really not have sufficient glassware for fifty or sixty, any more?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    We're coming into the home stretch, campers. Six days to go.
    It's rainy and foggy in the town on the Potomac, this morning. I'm hoping to leave early to get ready for the open house we're having tomorrow.

TOTD: Do you still give parties? We still give at least one a year, sometimes more, but large-scale entertaining seems to be dying out. Do people really not have sufficient glassware for fifty or sixty, any more?
    Another warm and beautiful day here in North Florida.

TOTD. I quit giving parties when I got divorced. Good parties are just to difficult for one person to manange. Back when I was hosting them we tended to keep the guest list to around 30 or less. My house isn't that large and parking would be a problem.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Power CUer
    I think that definitely makes sense. It takes both of us working pretty hard in advance to make it come together; then during the gathering we relax and enjoy. Afterward, the dishes are a lot for one person to handle as well.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

No we don't.

We also don't know anyone who host one at their home.

We do the work thing at a restaurant.

I always remember when I was little my folks hosting and attending holiday parties.

I guess it's a trend that fading away.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    I always remember when I was little my folks hosting and attending holiday parties.

I guess it's a trend that fading away.
    I remember that, too. My parents had a large home and would have 100-150 people during the holidays. I can barely get to forty without breathing hard.
    (Note to self: Mother had live-in cook/housekeeper, so don't beat yourself up too much).

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    I remember that, too. My parents had a large home and would have 100-150 people during the holidays. I can barely get to forty without breathing hard.
    (Note to self: Mother had live-in cook/housekeeper, so don't beat yourself up too much).
    I was always in charge of taking the coats and laying them on the bed in the guestroom when they hosted.

Between hosting and attending they would be involved in as many as 4 or 5 per year.

It's odd how things trend. We're not nearly as friendly, or have the interest in being as friendly with our neighbors as my parents were with theirs.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    I was always in charge of taking the coats and laying them on the bed in the guestroom when they hosted.
    When I was little, they'd find me in the guest room asleep amid the women's furs. :) You're right that we don't mingle as much, and I think we have lost something by it. My neighborhood is a real sixties throwback, a "Leave it to Beaver" kind of neighborhood where we still do these things.

Oh God, this is a day thread.

We go to parties all the time. We throw quite a few also.

We live on a cul-de-sac, and every summer, we and all the neighbors close off the street, put a firepit on the manhole cover in the cul-de-sac and invite everybody. Everybody on the cul-de-sac has a swimming pool, so it's like a big 4 house open house.

Always a great time.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post

We go to parties all the time. We throw quite a few also.

We live on a cul-de-sac, and every summer, we and all the neighbors close off the street, put a firepit on the manhole cover in the cul-de-sac and invite everybody. Everybody on the cul-de-sac has a swimming pool, so it's like a big 4 house open house.

Always a great time.
    Great idea. I live in a cul de sac too. We have bonfires in my backyard most often...but this sounds like a great new twist.

Fog warnings here and nasty. Alot of delays in air travel.

TOTD: We had a bonfire several weeks ago for the whole neighborhood. It was toasty near the fire with temps around 29 that evening......but most of the food started to freeze after about 1/2 an hour into it.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    Hey, I'm the day thread person on Friday. What tipped you off, the "Friday" in the subject line? :p