Hybrid View

1. #1 To hear this message in English, press one-Sick of this? 
    Today is my first DUmp diving in a while. Its a candy store over there!!
    Muy Moonbato

I am bothered by the numero uno thing too, but I hate all of those automated systems.

DUmmie sets itself up with:

skylarmae (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 11:48 AM
    Original message
    To hear this message in English, press one-Sick of this?
    Advertisements [?]This morning I had an appointment with Comcast. The appt was supposed to have been cancelled, and when trying to verify this, the first thing you hear after welcome to comcast, is---To hear this message in English, press one. I am so sick and tired of this BS...

I called Comcast and sternly complained about this...Does this bother anyone but me? If America has English as it's official language, why should we have to press one to hear the automation recordings in our Country's language. And if you don't press one, why does it automatically default to Spanish?

Am I the only one who is bothered by this? Any suggestions about what we can collectively do to change this behavior?
    I love my broadband.....
    Here they come, duck!

Mojorabbit (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 11:49 AM
    Response to Original message
    2. When was English
    designated as America's official language? I missed that.
    Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

MonkeyFunk (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 11:49 AM
    3. America has no official language
    and no, I'm not bothered by it.
    bitchkitty (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 11:50 AM
    4. You're not the only one bothered by it,
    but I don't have any sympathy for your dilemma. I would suggest that you find other things to occupy your anger.

RGBolen (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 11:50 AM
    5. There is no official language, a free person speaks whatever language they please. If you don't

like it just speak in Spanish with them. What's the problem?

brooklynite (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 11:50 AM
    6. Your rant is very important to us.....
    Please stay on the line and your irate comments will be dealt with by the next available outsourced representative...

paxmusa (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 11:51 AM
    8. Are you being sarcastic?
    Edited on Thu Jun-19-08 11:56 AM by paxmusa
    The only people I have heard complain about this with real anger are my redneck republican relatives.

On Edit: And with all the grammatical errors, I sometimes wonder if what my redneck republican relatives speak is really English...

Uh oh,

BonnieJW (914 posts) Thu Jun-19-08 11:55 AM
    19. I am.
    Before anyone accuses me of being racist or prejudiced, I am not. I grew up with Hispanics. Can you imagine moving to France and having everyone in France start speaking English for you? Or teaching your kids in English? Never happen. If you live in America, speak English and teach your kids to speak English. Embrace the American culture and practices, but that doesn't mean you have to forget your own. My grandparents came to America at the turn of the last century and they learned English at the speed of light. How else could they get jobs, buy things, get a place to live? No one was going to start speaking Russian for them.

If you don't learn the language of the country in which you live, it isolates you and causes suspicion and racism. Think about Little Havana in Miami. NO ONE speaks English there and many have lived there for decades. They only interact with each other; it's a microcosm. It defeats the whole "melting pot" ideal of America.
    paxmusa (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 12:12 PM
    Response to Reply #33
    40. If English is such a dear topic to you, please correct the grammatical errors in your post #33...
    I just get so irritated when people who speak English fail to use it properly and with respect. What do you think we can collectively do to change this behavior?

smoogatz (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 12:03 PM
    36. My suggestion to you: master your own language
    before you insist that others learn it.
    And the winner! BDS just had to work its way in here!!

Patchuli (1000+ posts) Thu Jun-19-08 12:17 PM
    42. That is a mild irritation
    compared to the Iraq Occupation and the destruction of our Constitution by *.

I also agree with the other poster who was more frustrated by trying to communicate with a telephone CSR in India.

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

I hate hate hate press one for English :mad:
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I have a rant for this ridiculousness. I'm out for a bit though. I'll be back.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Patent Member
    Any time I get on one of those stupid things I just either wait or press 0, *, #, or whatever else I can think of to get to an actual person.

If they ask, I tell them I'm on a rotary phone and pressing one doesn't help. :D

Like it or not, Spanish is not going away in the US.

Puerto Rico has 4 million inhabitants. They are all American citizens.
    They all speak Spanish. There is exactly one English language radio station in Puerto Rico. To my knowledge, ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox have no television stations there. It's Univision, Telemundo and CNN en Español.

The people in Little Havana know English. They just don't use it much.

For what it's worth (one), my wife was born and raised in Colombia. She insists on speaking in English to everyone but her best friends. She speaks English better than like, well, you know, most Americans, like, well......

For what it's worth (two) we're raising our son to be bilingual.

For what it's worth (three) I use Spanish at the self-serve checkouts just to annoy people.
    The Pittsburgh Penguins - 2007-08 NHL Eastern Conference Champions

Quote Originally Posted by Penguins Fan View Post

They all speak Spanish. There is exactly one English language radio station in Puerto Rico. To my knowledge, ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox have no television stations there. It's Univision, Telemundo and CNN en Español.

For what it's worth (one), my wife was born and raised in Colombia. She insists on speaking in English to everyone but her best friends. She speaks English better than like, well, you know, most Americans, like, well......

For what it's worth (three) I use Spanish at the self-serve checkouts just to annoy people.
    This wasn't my rant, it was a DU rant. My bitch is with the whole automated answering thing, how many times did you waste 15 minutes getting to a point where you just had to hang up and start over!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguins Fan View Post

I'm embarrassed to admit that I still don't have a handle on the status of Puerto Rican citizens and how they relate to the U.S. in terms of citizenship, rights, and obligations.

As for raising your son to be bilingual...that is excellent. I always wished I was fluent in another language as a child (well, as an adult as well!). I could speak some gutteral Italian from my relatives...but mostly just the bad words.

Anyone that has the opportunity to learn two languages at the same time growing up is lucky and should do so. When my sister was born she and my parents lived in NYC and had a Puerto Rican land lady. The land lady would frequently babysit her and always spoke Spanish to her. My mother swore that my sister understood Spanish better than English as an infant/toddler.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I have a rant for this ridiculousness. I'm out for a bit though. I'll be back.
    Should I press one or two to hear it? And what kind of music will you be playing while we're on hold?