1. #1 Stolen Memos Case Prompts Call For Kavanaugh's Impeachment 
    link

turbinetree (10,285 posts)

Stolen Memos Case Prompts Call For Kavanaugh's Impeachment

Cody Fenwick
    September 8, 2018 4:06 am / 0 Comments / Congress, Law, Supreme Court, Top News

Reprinted with permission from AlterNet.

In a tightly argued and powerful article for Slate, a Democrat who was one of the victims of a document theft related to Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh’s time in the White House argued Friday that the judge should be impeached.

Kavanaugh, Lisa Graves argued, repeatedly lied to Congress under oath about his involvement with the stolen materials.

She noted that just receiving the documents, which she says were taken by GOP Senate aide Manuel Miranda isn’t an impeachable offense. Graves said that Miranda stole the “confidential memos, letters, and talking points,” some of which she personally wrote, which were part of the Democrats’ private communications about blocking President George W. Bush’s controversial judicial nominees. Some of this material was passed on to Kavanaugh, though he says he wasn’t aware that the documents were stolen.

This, Graves said, is implausible. Kavanaugh almost certainly would have known this material was not supposed to be in his possession. But things get even worse for the Supreme Court Nominee.

Graves argued that even after the theft was revealed, Kavanaugh has still claimed, under oath, that he had nothing to do with the stolen documents. She wrote:

http://www.nationalmemo.com/stolen-m...s-impeachment/

If were to go into a court room and LIE, and I was caught LYING that is PERJURY, PERJURY is still PERJURY, this asshole sitting on the bench would charge me with PERJURY, if I were to LIE in his court, he his a fucking hypocrite, and Leahy, and Harris has shown that he is a LIAR, and the republicans are willfully withholding or tried to withhold this information that he fucking LIED in 2004, 2006 and now 2019..................................

United States Capitol switchboard at (202) 224-3121.
    So he said he didn't have anything to do with the "stolen" memos but BECAUSE the left doesn't agree that makes it a "lie" and is grounds to impeach him. Sure.

And I might be mistaken but I think these were likely memos taken from a SHARED congressional computer. One which the DEMOCRATS used without securing their information in any way.
    bucolic_frolic (11,103 posts)

2. This is where the rubber meets the road

Impeachment is an underutilized part of the Constitution. I expect it will be dusted off and used fairly frequently, relatively speaking, compared to the first 240 years of our political existence. Many woefully inadequate nominees were confirmed in the last 18 months, and some will double down and prove it, while others will gain their footing and outperform. Weeding out the toxins will be a generational challenge.

It begins here.
    Pepsidog (989 posts)

3. Revenge is sweet. Come 2020 when Dems control all branches of govt and are unrestrained by rules and

norms, impeachment of Gorsuch and Kavenaugh and Roberts should be first priority. Why? Well they all lied about calling “balls and strikes” etc.
    Heaven forbid that Republicans think that they have the same rights as Democrats do when they are in the majority.
    OnDoutside (8,390 posts)

4. Well Kavanaugh for definite, and Democrats need to say it now as a VOW, that they will hold hearings

into the lies this nominee has told, as well as the other withheld documents, and that could lead to impeachment. Expose his "character" for what it is.
    jmbar2 (234 posts)

7. Gloves off

Executive- corrupt
    Leglislative branch - corrupt
    Judicial branch - corrupt

We must not let democracy die this way.
    So they're going to "corrupt" the definition of "corrupt" and take away the real meaning of it and use it as a label for when Republicans have refused to allow the Democrats to win the Presidency, Congress or House? Much like the accusation of "racism" simply means Democrats are throwing the word around as a political weapon.

When I see this thread I always think of Homer and the Flying pig. DUmmies are good at suspension of disbelief if nothing else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pm-Ce5I01Ow

To DUmmies, "Impeachment evidence, it's just a little dirty, it'll work."

Delusional DUmmies, who is surprised?

"Back in the day" grasping at straws required the presence of straws. There're no straws here to laugh at, just mockery-worthy DUpipo.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

This is a case of "I believe it so it must be so." No facts are required, just a desire for it to be true. Dan Rather memo mentality
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This is a case of "I believe it so it must be so." No facts are required, just a desire for it to be true. Dan Rather memo mentality
    Yeah, this has more holes than Ermmental cheese:

Graves said that Miranda stole the “confidential memos, letters, and talking points,” some of which she personally wrote ...
    Slate writer Graves says the documents were "stolen". Were they? Or is that just the opinion of a ProgNewMedia writer? Further, the wording, "some of which she personally wrote" is equivocal. If it means Miranda wrote some of the documents, how would she steal something she wrote? OTOH, if Graves wrote some of the documents, then she is a partisan and an accuser, not an unbiased journalist. So if "stolen" is just her opinion, it's partisanly biased.

Some of this material was passed on to Kavanaugh, though he says he wasn’t aware that the documents were stolen.

This, Graves said, is implausible. Kavanaugh almost certainly would have known this material was not supposed to be in his possession.
    Stolen or something short of stolen, this clearly is Graves' partisan opinion. She ASSumes Kavanaugh knew, with zero evidence other than her own obviously biased opinion. And on her biased opinion hangs the whole perjury-impeachment argument.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Just a bunch of whiny idiots. Go
    play in the street.
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Just a bunch of whiny idiots. Go
    play in the street.
    Don’t encourage the DUmmies, last time they played in the street they got run over by a Dodge Charger.

You have to read about half way into it, but from this WashPost article:

In an email on July 30, 2002, Miranda wrote Kavanaugh that he wanted to give him and another White House official “some info” related to an upcoming nomination hearing. Kavanaugh responded that he could talk on the phone at 12:15 p.m. that day. It is not clear from the documents what was discussed in the phone call, if it occurred, or whether any information from Miranda’s access to Democratic documents was involved.

Separately, Miranda emailed Kavanaugh and another White House official that “intel suggests that Leahy will focus on all things money” at a 2002 confirmation hearing.
    Miranda, in a telephone interview, said that he worked “closely” with Kavanaugh on nominations. He said that he is not sure whether he ever shared any information that he gleaned from the Democrats’ documents. But if he did, he said, he never told Kavanaugh how he had gained access to them.

“I never told him that I got this from the Democrats. There was never anything like that,” Miranda said. “I can tell you for a fact that Brett didn’t know, because no one knew” aside from some other staffers.

Miranda said that he gained access to the documents after a junior staffer on the committee discovered that they were posted on a server shared by Republicans. He acknowledged reading many of the documents and said he mainly used them to glean insights into how Democrats were preparing for hearings.

A congressional report blamed Miranda and another staffer for viewing the documents, and Miranda resigned from a Senate position in 2004. He said in the interview that he was never charged in the matter and that he never it considered his action to be hacking, because the documents were on a shared computer server.
    So:

* There was no hacking or theft; the D emails/documents were found on a shared server;

* Miranda was not charged for anything, and apparently his license to practice law was unaffected;

* Anyone who had copies of the D emails/documents did not have stolen property;

* Miranda stated that he did not make copies of the emails/documents;

* Miranda stated that he may not have shared info from the emails/documents he viewed with Kavanaugh;

* Miranda stated that he did not inform anyone that he had gotten information from D emails/documents.

Just another Slander-and-Slime attempt that even the MSM have to show is smoke, out of CYA self-defense. We can probably expect Slander-and-Slime attempts like this every day or two until the confirmation vote.