Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Yes, my young Trump-loving friends, you are being duped. 
    link

kpete (60,715 posts)

Yes, my young Trump-loving friends, you are being duped.

Look Up, Not Down: A Message to Young Trump Supporters
    by ED WEATHERS

The following is a screed that's way way way too long for my Facebook page. For nearly all my friends, it will amount to preaching to the choir. On the other hand, the people who need to read it aren't my friends on Facebook, so they won't read it, either. In other words, what I write here will serve no useful purpose other than to let me vent. So here I go, spitting in the wind. ...

Recently some younger Trump supporters I know — folks in their 20s and 30s — have expressed disdain toward fast-food workers who are asking for higher wages. They claim that such low-skilled jobs don't deserve higher wages and that a higher minimum wage for them would just devalue the work of more skilled folks like themselves — first responders, welders, mechanics, construction workers, and the like.

These young Trump folks also resent anyone on welfare and, of course, most immigrants. They see all these folks as somehow damaging their own economic prospects or undermining their own small economic successes.

Their attitude infuriates me and discourages me. Here's what I have to say to them:

If you're a Trump supporter struggling to keep up with your rent, pay for your medicine, feed your kids, and maybe buy a small pick-up truck on long-term credit, then there's a good chance you're directing your anger, resentment, and disdain at exactly the wrong people.

You have bought into myths designed to protect the rich and feed their greed. You have been duped.

It's not poor immigrants or the folks on welfare or the fast-food workers asking to raise the minimum wage who are keeping you down. No, your enemy is the Wall Street broker and the oil tycoon and the $40 million-a-year CEO who are sponging up the wealth before it ever trickles down to you. Your enemies are folks like the Koch brothers, Sheldon Adelson, the DuPonts, and the politicians they have in their pockets.

The super-rich want you to direct your resentments down the economic ladder at others, like yourselves, who are simply trying to get through the month without going hungry. They want to distract you from looking up the economic ladder at those who are exploiting the labor of folks just like you in order to pad their penthouses with more gold-plated trappings.

Many of the super-rich and their enablers (Republicans mostly but not exclusively, and Fox News) want you to think that if they make millions or billions of dollars, it's because they are smarter or work harder or are more God-blessed than the rest of us.

I've spent time with the super-rich: They don't work as hard as you do, and the only smarts they have is the sophistication to work a rigged system. Most of them have simply been lucky — no better than the guy who made a gazillion dollars from Beanie Babies. As for how God feels about the very rich, I refer you to the New Testament.

Many of the super-rich also want you to think of them as some kind of heroic "job creators." That's not what they are. It's not what they've ever been.

No, the job creators are folks like you, who spend your whole income to buy the things you need and thereby keep every useful business in the country running. In fact, the super-rich are what they have always been: not job creators, but money manipulators and labor exploiters.

Yes, my young Trump-loving friends, you are being duped. When you look down at the fast-food server or the welfare mother or the immigrant farm worker, you're looking where the super-rich want you to look — in exactly the wrong direction.

When you start looking up, so will our democracy.

A former editor of Memphis magazine, Ed Weathers is now retired and lives in Blacksburg, Virginia.

FROM HERE:
    https://www.memphisflyer.com/memphis...92c5-261645969
    They think that young people who are conservative are too stupid to see that when the left blames corporations, wall street and the wealthy for all the problems in the world that they ONLY go after conservatives. They NEVER go after or blame the LIBERAL RICH. Rather they pretend that all 'rich' people and corporations are Republicans.

Indeed by consensus DUers, without exception when the WEALTH of the Clintons, Bernie Sanders, John Kerry, Pelosi etc, is brought up they declare that they "deserve" it.

No different than Gore telling everyone they need to "reduce their carbon footprint" as he travels around the world on private jets and uses more electricity in his mansion in a month than a family would use in a year.
    NastyRiffraff (10,732 posts)

3. So true

Trump and his 1% "friends" have lied to his base, and the rich have been lying to everyone for decades. Trump has simply taken advantage of that. I hate to tell Trumpers, but he's laughing at all of you. He even often does it publicly at his rallies, but they can't see it.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Poor kpete, she always sounds so angry!

I wonder if she got locked out of her
    gated community again or maybe to lawn
    wasn't cut to her liking???
    May the FORCE be with you!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    You can keep your doctor, you can keep your plan. Talk about being duped.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Let's start by taking the wealth of Gates, Buffet, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Ellison and Bloomberg. Make all of them live on a "living wage."

Quote Originally Posted by FDK View Post
    Let's start by taking the wealth of Gates, Buffet, Bezos, Zuckerberg, Ellison and Bloomberg. Make all of them live on a "living wage."
    Don't forget good old Elon Musk and the money he's been stealing from US taxpayers for his Teslas and other pie in the sky BS.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

Liberalism is what the stupid think is smart.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

It's kpete. The whole thing is copy-and-paste, she's too lazy and stupid to come up with all that verbal diarrhea by herself.

You can’t spell “duped” without DU.

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post

Maybe she noticed the gardener and pool maintenance dude hardly glance at her anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by DumbAss Tanker View Post
    It's kpete. The whole thing is copy-and-paste, she's too lazy and stupid to come up with all that verbal diarrhea by herself.
    Well, it's longer than a 5 or 6 word meme, so this is a step up for her.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

NastyRiffraff (10,732 posts)

I hate to tell Trumpers, but he's laughing at all of you. He even often does it publicly at his rallies, but they can't see it.

" Delusions are generally thought of as fixed false beliefs. The 'fixed' element refers to the fact that even in the face of evidence to the contrary, the delusion remains. " --Dr. Jerry Kennard, Associate Fellow of the British Psychological Society

Are Progs able to express their views without dripping condescension and contempt to and for those they think they speak to?
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!