Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 It just gets so tiresome 
    link

sheshe2 (50,228 posts)

It just gets so tiresome

snip

Fans of Serena were apoplectic over the blatant misogyny exhibited against her. (To compare and contrast, the same chair umpire was in charge of the men's singles final, when eventual champion Novak Djokovic exhibited the same behaviors which resulted in penalties for Serena, with no penalties for him.) Those who don't like Serena fell back on the tropes that she's a princess and a bully.

And then there's this guy.

He is, apparently, a cartoonist for a Murdoch newspaper in Australia.

I won't even bother to explain how this is a racist depiction of Serena. I will say that it's not just misogyny she faces, but outright racism.
    She will break Margaret Court's record, and a black woman from Compton will seal her status as the greatest female tennis player of all time. And in a sport which has been dominated by white players for its entire history, this fact raises existential fears. In sporting terms, it's on a par with the fear white Trump voters have that they are about to be pushed aside by a browning population.

Serena has faced this misogyny and racism her entire career. (Google "Serena and Indian Wells" for some data.) And she's done turning the other cheek. She shouldn't have to. Tennis needs her more than she needs tennis. And if she's going to start to speak out and defend her honor, then that's all to the good.

The opprobrium some heaped on Serena this weekend wasn't because she was "acting like a spoiled brat." It was a racism she has dealt with her entire career. And she's not taking it anymore.

More:http://www.thepeoplesview.net/main/2...ts-so-tiresome

The blatant misogyny. The racism that has been dealt to her all her life. The toon? Typical of the lilly white, racist Murdoch paper and their readers.
    Because you know expecting a WOMAN and/or a BLACK PERSON to act civilly, with good sportsmanship is SEXIST and RACIST.

To Democrats/liberals when one of theirs loses or is criticized it is ALWAYS racism or sexism. Liberal women and blacks are simply too stupid, dumb and ignorant to be expected to act in a responsible manner.
    Catherine Vincent (33,037 posts)
    2. Can't believe what the artist was thinking

Can't believe what the artist was thinking when s/he created this toon. Pathetic.
    guillaumeb (25,906 posts)

3. At a Murdoch newspaper, being a racist and a misogynist is considered a plus.

Notice the exaggerated lips, the hair...…..

Recommended.
    Right, because cartoonists ALWAYS exaggerate body features....but I guess it's only OK if you're white.

CatMor (2,085 posts) 6. That so called cartoon is a abomination.....

certainly does not show what really took place. Serena Williams is the greatest woman tennis player of all time and people are trying to define her over one incident. I'll admit I'm a big fan of hers but she did have a point in her argument. I do think racism and misogyny is playing a role in this and it is a sad day.
    Hmmmm. Serena's temper tantrum related to having her serve broken and the potential for losing to her opponent, yes that's what took place. As for the 'yellow hair', the ends of her opponents hair WAS YELLOW/Blond.

It's just more race baiting and excusing INEXCUSABLE behavior because the person is a woman and black.

MineralMan (110,869 posts)

14. Shockingly Disgusting.
    No. It was Serena's behavior and the lefts excusing it as OK because ...... sexism and racism that was and is shockingly disgusting.

Not long ago they were claiming that not allowing her to wear outlandish costumes rather than the usual while competing was "sexism".

Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    How was he supposed to draw it ? looks pretty close to her appearance in a caricature, she is a corn fed ole gal and pretty doggone big

Power CUer
    I think the artist got Serena's entitlement hissy fit just right. And caricature plays on exaggerated features, no matter who you are. (Just take a look at some of the cartoons of Trump!)

Serena's big mistake was in not getting Kanye to have the hissy fit for her:

"Hey Naomi, I'm really happy for you and I'mma let you finish, but Serena is the best female tennis player of all time!"

(And FYI: The Tennis Toddler Tantrum in People Mag:)

Power CUer

You all decide.

Power CUer
    U.S. Open 2018: Patrick Mouratoglou admits to coaching Serena Williams during final
    http://www.sportingnews.com/us/tenni...51pqdj9gvzvon6
    Patrick Mouratoglou admitted to coaching Serena Williams during the U.S. Open final, but believes she never received his message.

Power CUer
    I am more ashamed of the crowd:

The booing was ridiculous. Serena lost her cool and the crowd egged her on.

Poor Naomi had to apologize for something she didn't do.

Edited to add:

If you are black DUer reading this thread, aren't you ashamed that Serena needed such coddling from the black female official, who greeted Naomi Osaka with "Welcome to the big stage," and then proceeded to insinuate that the match ended wrong? Why did this black female official ruin the Japanese champion's moment? Because a black sister needed to be bottle-fed bromides like a baby? Because a black sister couldn't control her temper and continued to needle and demand an apology for a call that was based on her own coach making signals?

Why do these black women not honor the rules of the sport and of good sportsmanship? The world saw Serena throwing a tantrum, a black official assuaging her--but a very gracious (though tearful) Osaka.

Serena may have been a great player, but Osaka became the star with her grace and humility. If you look at the comments on the internet, THAT is what the rest of the world saw, too.

Just one:

Last edited by Elspeth; 09-11-2018 at 02:39 AM.

So is it safe to say, then, that this cartoon is racist:

The American Left: Where everything is politics and politics is everything.

Some perspective from Martina Navratilova:

To recap: The trouble began when early in the second set, Ms. Williams was given a warning for coaching. This one is on her coach: Patrick Mouratoglou was using both hands to motion to Ms. Williams to move forward and got called on it. While it is true that illegal coaching is quite common and that most coaches do it, it’s also true that despite what many commentators have said following Saturday’s events, they are called on it quite frequently and that most of the time, players just shrug it off and know that going forward, they and their coaches now need to behave, because the next infraction will cost them a point. The player is responsible for his or her coach’s conduct. And it is actually irrelevant whether the player saw or heard whatever instructions were given; either way, it is still an infraction.
    It was a few games later when matters really escalated. Williams lost her serve at 3-1 up and demolished her racket — an automatic code violation that, because it came on top of an earlier warning, resulted in the automatic loss of one point.

Ms. Williams opted to argue about this: She insisted that she didn’t cheat, she wasn’t coached, and therefore she shouldn’t have been docked. But it doesn’t matter whether she knew she was receiving coaching. She was being coached, as Mr. Mouratoglou admitted after the match, and whether she knew it or not is moot. So at this stage, she had been given a warning — one that couldn’t be dismissed retroactively — and had smashed her racket, an automatic violation. Mr. Ramos, effectively, had no choice but to dock her a point.
    Much of the coverage has focused on what happened when Ms. Williams confronted Mr. Ramos a second time, demanding an apology and calling him a thief. Mr. Ramos handed Ms. Williams a third code violation — which cost her a whole game. ...

It’s difficult to know, and debatable, whether Ms. Williams could have gotten away with calling the umpire a thief if she were a male player. But to focus on that, I think, is missing the point. If, in fact, the guys are treated with a different measuring stick for the same transgressions, this needs to be thoroughly examined and must be fixed. But we cannot measure ourselves by what we think we should also be able to get away with. In fact, this is the sort of behavior that no one should be engaging in on the court. There have been many times when I was playing that I wanted to break my racket into a thousand pieces. Then I thought about the kids watching. And I grudgingly held on to that racket.

That's an 18+ minute highlight video from 2009. At 4:50-4:55, Serena vs. tennis racket. At 13:55-17:00 Serena vs. FEMALE line judge, including preceding context.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

From the International Tennis Federation:

The ITF has released the following statement relating to umpiring decisions during the 2018 US Open Women’s final:

“Carlos Ramos is one of the most experienced and respected umpires in tennis. Mr. Ramos’ decisions were in accordance with the relevant rules and were re-affirmed by the US Open’s decision to fine Serena Williams for the three offences.”

“It is understandable that this high profile and regrettable incident should provoke debate. At the same time, it is important to remember that Mr. Ramos undertook his duties as an official according to the relevant rule book and acted at all times with professionalism and integrity.”
    For the terminally curious, the "Grand Slam Rule Book" is linked at the bottom of this short article.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

The incident has caught headlines everywhere, with many voicing their displeasure online. Among those disappointed are male tennis pros James Blake and Andy Roddick, who confirmed the bias and backed Serena's stance. Both took to their Twitter accounts and admitted to saying worse on the court with no penalty. Serena not only received a penalty, but also got slapped with a $17,000 fine for three code violations.

I will admit I have said worse and not gotten penalized. And I’ve also been given a “soft warning” by the ump where they tell you knock it off or I will have to give you a violation. He should have at least given her that courtesy. Sad to mar a well played final that way. https://t.co/xhBzFZX8Wq - James Blake (@JRBlake) September 9, 2018

I’ve regrettably said worse and I’ve never gotten a game penalty - andyroddick (@andyroddick) September 9, 2018

Like....... Anywhere? Ever? By anyone? Ever? https://t.co/Mv6ORHRjiR - andyroddick (@andyroddick) September 9, 2018

Tennis counterpart Victoria Azarenka also backed Williams as she live-tweeted the match and recognized the apparent inequality.

This is bs - victoria azarenka (@vika7) September 8, 2018

If it was men’s match, this wouldn’t happen like this.
    It just wouldn’t - victoria azarenka (@vika7) September 8, 2018

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/p...erena-williams

https://start.att.net/news/read/cate..._sexis-rhearst
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault