Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by Retread View Post
    The incident has caught headlines everywhere, with many voicing their displeasure online. Among those disappointed are male tennis pros James Blake and Andy Roddick, who confirmed the bias and backed Serena's stance. Both took to their Twitter accounts and admitted to saying worse on the court with no penalty. Serena not only received a penalty, but also got slapped with a $17,000 fine for three code violations.

I will admit I have said worse and not gotten penalized. And I’ve also been given a “soft warning” by the ump where they tell you knock it off or I will have to give you a violation. He should have at least given her that courtesy. Sad to mar a well played final that way. https://t.co/xhBzFZX8Wq - James Blake (@JRBlake) September 9, 2018

I’ve regrettably said worse and I’ve never gotten a game penalty - andyroddick (@andyroddick) September 9, 2018

Like....... Anywhere? Ever? By anyone? Ever? https://t.co/Mv6ORHRjiR - andyroddick (@andyroddick) September 9, 2018

Tennis counterpart Victoria Azarenka also backed Williams as she live-tweeted the match and recognized the apparent inequality.

This is bs - victoria azarenka (@vika7) September 8, 2018

If it was men’s match, this wouldn’t happen like this.
    It just wouldn’t - victoria azarenka (@vika7) September 8, 2018

http://www.espn.com/tennis/story/_/p...erena-williams

https://start.att.net/news/read/cate..._sexis-rhearst
    Well, all Serena has to do is come out as transgender. Then she can be as nasty as she wants to be on the court.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Well, all Serena has to do is come out as transgender. Then she can be as nasty as she wants to be on the court.
    As the video I posted demonstrates, she's got the latter part down pat. Explaining the former to her children might get complicated, though.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

All this is just too silly. It doesn't boil down to racism or misogyny. It comes down to an aging athlete on the verge of making history losing her cool and displaying what a poor sport she can be when things don't go her way.

That is it. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Liberals! The real fascists.

Power CUer
    Just a few last thoughts on this.

As a woman, the statement that "There are men out here who do a lot worse," resonates. Most women are very aware that we cannot lose our cool on the job at all. Men are excused for occasionally punching the desk or raising their voice--women are never forgiven for these things. One punch to the desk and you can be labeled "crazy"; one raised tone and you're called "bitch." This affects women all down the line.

Even in professions where there are a lot of women, like teaching, a lot more is expected of women both behaviorally and in terms of effort. Male teachers merely have to be knowledgeable and fair to get good student ratings. They can be cold or unsympathetic or firm (harsh) and it's still ok with colleagues and students. Female teachers not only have to be knowledgeable and fair, but they have to be "nurturing", "nice" and "friendly." A female teacher who knows her material, knows how to explain it and grades fairly will be KILLED in student evaluations if she doesn't show up with metaphorical "milk and cookies" every class session. There's research on this to prove it.

So, I get it when Serena proclaims to the officials that umpire Carlos Ramos would not have penalized a man in the same way for bursts of temper. I don't watch a lot of tennis, but I remember John McEnroe and his fits of temper. He got away with a lot more than Williams, although he came in for his share of penalties.

Here's my problem with Serena: she is playing in a sport with ONLY women on the court. She is not competing against a man who is allowed to rage, unpunished, while she gets "picked on." She's competing--and has ALWAYS been competing--with women. For almost all of her life. She KNOWS the rules. She's an old hand at this. It's a little late in the day to complain about how women are expected to "act like ladies" in tennis.

Unlike Serena, most women compete with MEN on a daily basis: for jobs, for promotions, for perks. This means that, unlike Serena, we're on the same tennis court with men, and they are allowed more emotional leeway. We are on the same court with men who are admired for being "strong" when they bark orders, while we have to speak in even tones to avoid being called "strident." We are on the same court with men who get cheered for picking up their kids at daycare ("good dad!") while we get scolded for the same thing ("you need better work life balance!").

You're NOT, Serena.

You're not on the court with John McEnroe or any other bad-tempered male player, who avoids penalties while you get them, for minor infractions. You're on the court with another female, whose behavior must conform just as yours does. The rest of your countrywomen are not so lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    Just a few last thoughts on this.
    Here's my problem with Serena: she is playing in a sport with ONLY women on the court. She is not competing against a man who is allowed to rage, unpunished, while she gets "picked on." She's competing--and has ALWAYS been competing--with women. For almost all of her life. She KNOWS the rules. She's an old hand at this. It's a little late in the day to complain about how women are expected to "act like ladies" in tennis.

Unlike Serena, most women compete with MEN on a daily basis: for jobs, for promotions, for perks. This means that, unlike Serena, we're on the same tennis court with men, and they are allowed more emotional leeway. We are on the same court with men who are admired for being "strong" when they bark orders, while we have to speak in even tones to avoid being called "strident." We are on the same court with men who get cheered for picking up their kids at daycare ("good dad!") while we get scolded for the same thing ("you need better work life balance!").

You're NOT, Serena.

You're not on the court with John McEnroe or any other bad-tempered male player, who avoids penalties while you get them, for minor infractions. You're on the court with another female, whose behavior must conform just as yours does. The rest of your countrywomen are not so lucky.
    Not many have made that point. But Naomi Osaka was Serena's competitor, not a male tennis player. As Michael Brown put it:

... Serena was playing against another woman. If the referee treated her unfairly, it would have benefited another female. How was this discriminating against a woman?
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!