Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Nine-Eleven! Never forget 
    Every year it shocks me how many people don't remember 9/11 on 9/11. Today I came into the office wearing a Hawaiin like shirt but with an image of New York and the twin towers. For shoes, I have hightop, American Flag Converse tennis shoes and I have a New York Yankees jacket on to keep warm. You would be shocked at how many times I have to explain the symbolism to people. Not just this year but every year.

This country tries my spirit.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    It is up to us to remind people of that awful day. Certainly the media will not. Nor is it being taught enough in school. We must educate the younger generation about that day.

There is no direct equivalency between 9/11 and Pearl Harbor. But for many of us, it weighs just as heavy as those a couple generations older than us (myself) treat Pearl Harbor.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

I had that battle-feeling: " It's on now. " against anybody who hated America.

It waxes and wanes through the years, but that feeling is still bedrock.

America has definitely lost the "Remember the Alamo" mentality. Once upon a time, when America or Americans would be threatened most every put aside their differences (ethic, social, political and religious) and took care of business. Now we spend our time pointing fingers and manufacturing ways to put blame on rivals.

I find this as sickening as conspiracy theories supported by chicken wire and cinder blocks. In the last 17 years instead of facing our enemies we, as a nation, have spent loads of time making enemies of each other. This is what is truly deplorable.
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

I was looking for a foto or such to post up here today and was flabbergasted to see how many were typical BDS memes. Either that or in support of the attackers. It’s just nuts.

It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    America has definitely lost the "Remember the Alamo" mentality. Once upon a time, when America or Americans would be threatened most every put aside their differences (ethic, social, political and religious) and took care of business. Now we spend our time pointing fingers and manufacturing ways to put blame on rivals.

I find this as sickening as conspiracy theories supported by chicken wire and cinder blocks. In the last 17 years instead of facing our enemies we, as a nation, have spent loads of time making enemies of each other. This is what is truly deplorable.
    https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/te...enders-heroic/

Ironic choice of words there...

I'm showing my classes a montage of the live news coverage of the day, watching the whole thing go down. Skipping analysis, just a little bit about the reverberations, at least so far, and just seeing and hearing the shock of these tragedies. This is the first year it really hit me (I've known the fact, but sometimes things don't sink in) that my middle school students weren't even born yet when 9/11 happened. That realization is really shaking my perception of today.

Gator is absolutely right, the event is going down the memory hole, our cultural ADD moving from one shiny object to the next. A high school teacher in the room next to me said she put up a cartoon about Kaepernick comparing his protest to the NFL's history of domestic abusers, drug scandals and the like, and found out at least one student so far had no idea who he was or what the whole kneeling controversy is about.

Those middle floors are burning hot, it's only a matter of time before we collapse on ourselves, just like those towers. </ end rant>
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post

I'm showing my classes a montage of the live news coverage of the day, watching the whole thing go down. Skipping analysis, just a little bit about the reverberations, at least so far, and just seeing and hearing the shock of these tragedies. This is the first year it really hit me (I've known the fact, but sometimes things don't sink in) that my middle school students weren't even born yet when 9/11 happened. That realization is really shaking my perception of today.

Gator is absolutely right, the event is going down the memory hole, our cultural ADD moving from one shiny object to the next. A high school teacher in the room next to me said she put up a cartoon about Kaepernick comparing his protest to the NFL's history of domestic abusers, drug scandals and the like, and found out at least one student so far had no idea who he was or what the whole kneeling controversy is about.

Those middle floors are burning hot, it's only a matter of time before we collapse on ourselves, just like those towers. </ end rant>
    Yep, heard about some do goody professor who wants to remove the word heroic. Disgusting.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by cadillac shark View Post
    I had that battle-feeling: " It's on now. " against anybody who hated America.

It waxes and wanes through the years, but that feeling is still bedrock.
    If I wasn't in my 50's at the time, I would have been at an enlistment office on the morning of the 12th.
    Last edited by old dog; 09-11-2018 at 01:12 PM.
    The United States Navy, fighting Moslem barbarians since 1801.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ (and bring body bags)

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post

It should be the young people's version of the JFK assassination. When I was a kid, the teachers would tell us to ask our parents where they were when JFK was assassinated as a living history lesson. Then our parents would re-live it for us and we would talk about it in school the next day. They told us to ask our grandparents where they were the day Pearl Harbor was bombed. My dad actually remembered Pearl Harbor, he was about 7 when it happened.

Maybe people think that in a world where you can get all the information in the world on a devise you can fit in your pocket, kids can pull the images of the attack up if they want to? It's good that you are covering it in your class with video.

As for me, it was the hardest thing ever to see on television. We watched it at work, and at home. I was constantly switching channels from networks to news, to the BBC and CBC, which did not censor the people jumping from the towers out like the American networks did. I remember watching it go down with my coworkers, hoping that they could rescue people from the top of the towers and knowing that they couldn't. All of my coworkers with kids in school left early and picked the kids up.

I don't have kids, but my sister's oldest (the snowflake at Reed College) was about a year and a half old at the time and my sister did not change the channel from Disney whenever she was up. I think that she was not the only parent to respond this way, and I think that perhaps all that protection did not allow the now college-aged kids to absorb just how tragic and horrible the attacks were. I don't mean protecting toddlers from violent imagery on television, as my sister did. I mean continuing to protect them after they were old enough to process it. No one likes to feel helpless. Everyone who was watching the events unfold on a tv or computer was watching while feeling totally helpless. It's not an easy thing to explain to your kids.

Apparently people are fucking forgetting....on my delivery routes today just about everyone I encountered asked me "Whats the date?" when signing their paperwork.