1. #1 Umps Donít Want To Work with Hair-Trigger Serena 
    She lost the U.S. Open Tennis Championship, but that is not all she lost. Tennis professional Serena Williams lost her hair-trigger temper and that has raised all manner of dispute, leading to umpires considering not dealing with her ever again.

The crux of the matter revolves around umpire Carlos Ramos, who made some unpopular calls against Williams. According to the New York Post, ďRamos called three violations on Williams: once for coaching, once for racket abuse and once for verbal abuse after she called him a Ďthiefí and a Ďliarí during the second set of her 6-2, 6-4 loss to Naomi Osaka.Ē

But it wasnít just the unpopular calls Williams faced. She was also slapped with $17,000 in fines for all of the violations.

Across the board, feelings were mixed on who was in the right and who was in the wrong. Some did note that winner Naomi Osaka was a victim, as well, having her big moment stolen from her due to the uproar.

At one point in the match, Williams told Ramos he owed her an apology. She was visibly upset about the call.
    Virtue signaling further down

Despite this, some have called out Ramos. The New York Post wrote that both the Womenís Tennis Association and United States Tennis Association have sided with Williams against him
    https://www.westernjournal.com/ct/um...t-work-serena/
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

The International Tennis Federation has backed Ramos. This isn't Serena's first in-the-wrong tangle with tennis referees. In 2009 she insulted and threatened a female line judge over correct foot-fault calls. What has referees upset now is not just that when Serena loses it, she sometimes LOSES it, but that US tennis associations are backing her when the umpire's calls were correct and the penalties NOT disproportionate.

Serena makes 100s of thousands a year. A temper-loss like this costs her less than peanuts. But referees make a tenth of what she does, and a career damaged for making correct calls is life-changing.
    Last edited by SVPete; 09-14-2018 at 09:36 AM.
    Facts don't matter to DUpipo.

BIG CHEETO Is Watching You!

Note to "Warpy" and "shockey80": I voted for Donald Trump! I would do so again!

I'm sure they didn't like working with McEnroe or Conners, either.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm sure they didn't like working with McEnroe or Conners, either.
    McEnroe did his share of tantrumming, and got his share of penalties, game penalties and suspensions. For some reason that latter fact has disappeared down folks' memory hole (me included, but I checked W'pedia's article about McEnroe and my memory was refreshed; the article by the umpire who gave McEnroe the point and game penalties in the 1987 US Open started the memory refresh).

Speak to any male player out there and they will agree that Serena caught the shitty end of the deal when no one else would have received. There are dozens of tense, high velocity players out there who act the same with nowhere near the level of penalties.

Ramos has his backing simply because the ďleagueĒ is forced to back their picks for officials. If they had a lick of ethics he would not officiate again this season.
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Found while scanning Instapundit:

Report: Men penalized significantly more than women in tennis

The report, looking at fines data at Grand Slam events from 1998 to 2018, found that women were fined 535 times, while men were fined 1,517 times.

Women only outnumbered men in two categories over the past two decades ó racking up 152 fines for coaching, compared to just 87 for men, and 10 no press fines, compared to just six for men.

Here are some of the biggest fines, from the New York Times:

* Racket Abuse ó Men 646, Women 99

* Audible Obscenity ó Men 344, 140

* Unsportsmanlike Conduct ó Men 287, Women 67

* Verbal Abuse ó Men 62, Women 16

* Ball Abuse ó Men 49, Women 35

* Visible Obscenity ó Men 20, Women 11