Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1 The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia argued it was the true owner of the church property 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Judge Rules in Favor of Breakaway Va. Congregations

    Nearly a dozen conservative church congregations in Virginia have won a long-running lawsuit in which they sought to split from the U.S. Episcopal Church in a dispute over theology and homosexuality.

    A Fairfax County judge made the final rulings today. He said the departing congregations are allowed under Virginia law to keep their property as they leave the Episcopal Church and realign under the authority of conservative Anglican bishops from Africa.

    The Episcopal Diocese of Virginia argued it was the true owner of the church property and that the congregations' votes to leave the Episcopal Church were invalid.

    The diocese said it will appeal the rulings

    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...901580_pf.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    They are having this problem all over. It's one the reasons why it pays not to be in debt to the larger body and to be actual owners of the property as a congragation.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,315
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    They are having this problem all over. It's one the reasons why it pays not to be in debt to the larger body and to be actual owners of the property as a congragation.
    In the Episcopal Church, when a church joins a diocese the diocese church holds the property in trust for the diocese (i.e. diocese could be considered the owner). State laws vary so this isn't an absolute. Florida law calls for the judiciary not to interfere with church policy. Basically this means that Episcopal Parishes in Florida don't own their property (even if they paid for it and pay for all upkeep). The laws in California and Virginia are different and the Parishes tend to win the law suits. This all side steps the bigger issue of whether the dioceses are behaving as Christ asks them too. I believe that they are not because Christ counseled Christians not to sue other Christians. Then again the Episcopal Church has been ignoring the authority of Scripture for a long time now. Heretics will do as heretics will.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    In the Episcopal Church, when a church joins a diocese the diocese church holds the property in trust for the diocese (i.e. diocese could be considered the owner). State laws vary so this isn't an absolute. Florida law calls for the judiciary not to interfere with church policy. Basically this means that Episcopal Parishes in Florida don't own their property (even if they paid for it and pay for all upkeep). The laws in California and Virginia are different and the Parishes tend to win the law suits. This all side steps the bigger issue of whether the dioceses are behaving as Christ asks them too. I believe that they are not because Christ counseled Christians not to sue other Christians. Then again the Episcopal Church has been ignoring the authority of Scripture for a long time now. Heretics will do as heretics will.
    We have the defacto leader of this movement here in Pittsburgh and some parishes have retained their property - some have not. I have a friend in San Diego who let his church be used by a conservative group that up and left their very liberal parish. It's terrible when the larger denomination leaves you and the word of God behind. :( Allowing gays is one thing - but making a man who cheated on his wife - abandoned her and his children to shack up with his gay lover a BISHOP??? what the fuck is the episcopal church thinking!!??
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,315
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    We have the defacto leader of this movement here in Pittsburgh and some parishes have retained their property - some have not. I have a friend in San Diego who let his church be used by a conservative group that up and left their very liberal parish. It's terrible when the larger denomination leaves you and the word of God behind. :( Allowing gays is one thing - but making a man who cheated on his wife - abandoned her and his children to shack up with his gay lover a BISHOP??? what the fuck is the episcopal church thinking!!??
    A blog that I visit regularly for information is www.standfirminfaith.com. It's run buy an Episcopal priest (Matt Kennedy) whose church, Good Shepperd is being sued by the diocese of Central New York.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •