Thread: Sept 23rd 1968

1. #1 Sept 23rd 1968 
    Senior Member Angry Old White Man's Avatar
    An early morning LZ insertion west of Can Tho RVN on this morning started out pretty normal, it had rained hard the night before and most of the LZ and little houses on the perimeters were several inches under water. I remember it very well because we were tossing willy pete grenades onto the hootches to try and get some fires started before the troop carriers arrived. We usually worked an area right down on the deck and would spend a good 30 minutes looking the area over and forcing a fight if anyone was in the LZ. The rain and standing water pretty much ruined our party and the grenades would just hit the water and fizzle out. Never saw any humans and or animals and the troop ships arrived, both aircraft flew down to the entrance and turned to cover the fight from both sides, we flew the length of the LZ and had cleared the first ships in the landing zone when our trail ship on my right moved in closer to our side and then suddenly nosed down and the left seat was hit one time and was killed instantly, the pilot sitting in the right seat managed to grab the stick and get the ship straight before it nosed into the ground, he recovered and headed for Can Tho where we had a MASH unit two miles outside the airfield. We managed to get two ships into this tiny MASH helipad and by the time we landed the nurses and doctors had already removed Peter and laid him on the ground on a stretcher. Every year now for fifteen years I have sent something to his sister who is now the only survivor of his immediate family, his older brother died last year. I only talk to her one time per year and she moved to SC after retiring so I hope she has fared well and had no damage by this storm. I will send her the image on or near the 23rd like I always do. Had a hard time doing this one, my photoshop was acting up something terrible today and I think it is time to uninstall it and just add all the plugins and take the pain. I spent all afternoon on the image and it would have normally taken no more than an hour. Anyway I thought I would share the image and also mention the two people in the lower inset was his crew chief and gunner who have both passed away. The crew chief died last year and the gunner Roland Ochoa died some 10 years ago. There is now only one survivor from his crew that morning. I think all four of us in my flight are still living but I can't remember who my crew chief was that morning. We were playing musical chairs in 68 and had a lot of people that left the gunships and we were short of crew so I know I flew on all 7 aircraft at one time or another, had numerous crew chiefs and pilots.

Beautiful work!
    It's not how old you are, it's how you got here.
    It's been a long road and not all of it was paved.
    . If you ain't havin' fun, it's your own damn fault

Thanks, both for the collage AND your service!!!!!