Hybrid View

1. #1 Another NC Probation Fail 
    http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1340728.html

Earlier this week, a North Raleigh cab driver was found shot to death. All four of the suspects being charged were already on probation, surprise, surprise.

That cabbie must have stolen their Nobel Prize or something.

Again, by itself, not the most newsworthy story, but I'm noticing a disturbing trend in this state/area of people on probation committing violent crimes. Eve Carson, now this. Do we really have to wait until these losers on probation kill somebody before we lock them up?
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/1340728.html

Earlier this week, a North Raleigh cab driver was found shot to death. All four of the suspects being charged were already on probation, surprise, surprise.

That cabbie must have stolen their Nobel Prize or something.

Again, by itself, not the most newsworthy story, but I'm noticing a disturbing trend in this state/area of people on probation committing violent crimes. Eve Carson, now this. Do we really have to wait until these losers on probation kill somebody before we lock them up?
    You are right to notice the trend... this type of story is beginning to be routine here in NC. We're not talking about simple probations necessarily all the time either... rap sheets miles long for some of these guys. The murder of UNC class president was the most notable.

Quote Originally Posted by wilbur
    You are right to notice the trend... this type of story is beginning to be routine here in NC. We're not talking about simple probations necessarily all the time either... rap sheets miles long for some of these guys. The murder of UNC class president was the most notable.
    From the story:

A recent News & Observer series on the state probation system showed that 580 probationers...have killed in North Carolina since 2000.
    Poorly paid, overworked and inexperienced probation officers often lose contact with the probationers they supervise, the report said.
    Nice one. Maybe if we pay the P.O.s more for the lousy work they're doing, they'll do a better job?

I really expect more from the N & O.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    From the story:

Nice one. Maybe if we pay the P.O.s more for the lousy work they're doing, they'll do a better job?

I really expect more from the N & O.
    It really goes a lot further than that... most of these guys shouldn't even be on mere probation to begin with.. they should be serving time.

Yep, this state is slack and getting worse on this problem. I wish I could expect anything to change for the better. But, every politician is aware of it. Hell, they're all over it. Just mention it and they take off on a 10 minute speech that blames every politician before him/her. But, he/she is going to organize a committee to do a study which will result in a special task force who will assign trained agents to look into what needs to be done, so this politician can put forth a bill stating how this needs to be addressed and how he/she won't rest until the groundwork has begun on a solution to take care of this problem once and for all. And the band played on...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rd-try View Post
    Yep, this state is slack and getting worse on this problem. I wish I could expect anything to change for the better. But, every politician is aware of it. Hell, they're all over it. Just mention it and they take off on a 10 minute speech that blames every politician before him/her. But, he/she is going to organize a committee to do a study which will result in a special task force who will assign trained agents to look into what needs to be done, so this politician can put forth a bill stating how this needs to be addressed and how he/she won't rest until the groundwork has begun on a solution to take care of this problem once and for all. And the band played on...
    Meanwhile, the Police Chiefs (as in my hometown) will be looking for new ways to fight crime.... stats.

Change how you file a crime here.... a few creative paperwork tricks and you've just reduced "crime" by 50% with the stroke of pens... no real police work needed.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    It really goes a lot further than that... most of these guys shouldn't even be on mere probation to begin with.. they should be serving time.

Exactly. There would be no probation problem if we locked up the criminals to begin with.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.