Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Not to mention, here's something I might be unpopular for saying; but does anyone else feel like the economy isn't that bad for them right now? I mean in a purely personal state, I feel the pinch of needing to tighten our belts in my family to make things as easy as possible on us, but things are far from drastic or terrible.

What do you think?
    For me personally no, but for many of my friends they are hurting. I have more unemployed and looking for work friends than at any time I can remember. The rescue mission is overflowing here and donations are down as people are holding on to their income. Saturday night we went out and the numbers of cars at restaurants is noticeably down. Everything here has gone up except wages.

God has blessed me because he looks after children and retards.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Banned
    As a retiree, I am doing great. The economy in south Louisiana is healthy with plenty of jobs in consturction plus many oil refinery's and chemical plants are located here. The Mexicans have invaded Baton Rourge.

Yes, I believe the economy is in a downturn. But, not as dire as the doomsayers predict, if left alone. Right now our own Goverment seems determined to make it worse with massive bailouts.
    I read an article on Drudge, last week I believe, if you want to refrence it in his files. Anyway, it said that the Goverment was considering bailout money for people in the Madoff Hedge Fund fiasco. Now, my understanding of this type of fund is, High gain, but high risk if you lose. supposedly, you know up front that you could lose your shirt on the deal.
    I just don't understand where these people think the money is going to keep coming from. Eventually, we the taxpayers, will end up paying taxes over 50% just to keep it up.

I'm doing just fine...better than average. I've got a decent savings. I'd like it to be better and my wife and I both have secure well paying jobs.
    That doesn't mean it isn't something to be concerned about or that I won't feel it in the next year or two. What has occurred this year is a pretty unique situation that few living have ever experienced. It also doesn't look like the plutocrats have learned any lessons from it yet. For most of my life I've been taught that a home is an investment, and that "spending" money during a recession "stimulates" the economy. From what I know now...those are both false assumptions.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

If this is the "biggest economic crisis since the Great Depression", I have to wonder what everyone was complaining about during every other bad economy over the past 80 years. This is nothing compared to the Great Depression.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    If this is the "biggest economic crisis since the Great Depression", I have to wonder what everyone was complaining about during every other bad economy over the past 80 years. This is nothing compared to the Great Depression.
    Exactly, right? I hear all the time comparisons to this and the GD, do people even know what an ass they sound like making that connection? In the '30s we had double-digit unemployment under FDR for almost 10 years. What're we at right now, 6.5% I think? This is nothing close to as bad as it got back then.

I don't think most of the Liberals you might talk to understand a lot or read a lot about economics in general, unless it's a fluff piece from Krugman. It's unbelievable how easy it is to predict what's going to happen when you start to read Mises, Hayek and some of the other great economists. Hell, modern economists like Thomas Sowel are right on the money most of the time and yet we continue to have these idiotic leaders trying to ram the same square peg into a round hole over and over and over again. We seem to just do 3 things: deficit spend, borrow more or raise taxes. With Obama we'll probably do all three. :(
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    It's unbelievable how easy it is to predict what's going to happen when you start to read Mises, Hayek and some of the other great economists. Hell, modern economists like Thomas Sowel are right on the money most of the time and yet we continue to have these idiotic leaders trying to ram the same square peg into a round hole over and over and over again. We seem to just do 3 things: deficit spend, borrow more or raise taxes. With Obama we'll probably do all three. :(
    I believe we've listened to the Keynesians for too long.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Well, the collapse hasn't come yet, at the moment we're in contracting mode. If a collapse comes, you'll know sir.