Thread: Potato ricer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1 Potato ricer 
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,321
    My sister was raving about the Martha Stuart potato ricer she got on sale at Macy's. I discovered the reason they marked it down from $24.99 to $7. The thing doesn't work. Perhaps it works if you're willing to take a lot of time to put in a few cubes of potato at a time that have been boiled in anticipation of mashed potatoes.

    Last night I had decided to make home made mashed potatoes. I decided to use the new ricer that I just had to get (got the last one at Macy's yesterday and had to wait in line for a long time to check it out).

    The thing was awful. It took forever and I only had done one potato. I just got out my old potato masher from my mom and did the whole pot in a few minutes.

    The potato ricer is back in the car, waiting to be returned to Macy's.

    Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I had peeled them (my sis said it worked better than trying to get the peels tghrough that ricer thing), had the potatoes soft and didn't overcrowd the little cup thing from the ricer.

    I guess I just don't have the patience for a ricer. SR did seem to enjoy the taters. There were no leftovers. :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sarasota,FL
    Posts
    42,790
    True, the taters were very good without using some pansy "Ricer".:D
    May the FORCE be with you!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Moderator lurkalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Posts
    1,539
    first problem, you got a wimpy brand name gourmet ricer....mine is from my mom and is big enough to feed the crew! can throw in five pounds of boiled potatoes in this thing and crunch and you are done :)
    mashed potatoes that are riced are way too dry....
    ricer works when you are making things like potatoe pancakes, lefse, hashbrown cakes...or thickening a nice potato soup....
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Super Moderator bijou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    first problem, you got a wimpy brand name gourmet ricer....mine is from my mom and is big enough to feed the crew! can throw in five pounds of boiled potatoes in this thing and crunch and you are done :)
    mashed potatoes that are riced are way too dry....
    ricer works when you are making things like potatoe pancakes, lefse, hashbrown cakes...or thickening a nice potato soup....
    Lurky is right, you need a proper ricer not some celebrity chef flim flam. A sturdy ricer should be quite cheap to buy, I paid the equivalent of $10 for mine so you should be able to find one cheaper than that.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    22,891
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    My sister was raving about the Martha Stuart potato ricer she got on sale at Macy's. I discovered the reason they marked it down from $24.99 to $7. The thing doesn't work. Perhaps it works if you're willing to take a lot of time to put in a few cubes of potato at a time that have been boiled in anticipation of mashed potatoes.

    Last night I had decided to make home made mashed potatoes. I decided to use the new ricer that I just had to get (got the last one at Macy's yesterday and had to wait in line for a long time to check it out).

    The thing was awful. It took forever and I only had done one potato. I just got out my old potato masher from my mom and did the whole pot in a few minutes.

    The potato ricer is back in the car, waiting to be returned to Macy's.

    Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I had peeled them (my sis said it worked better than trying to get the peels tghrough that ricer thing), had the potatoes soft and didn't overcrowd the little cup thing from the ricer.

    I guess I just don't have the patience for a ricer. SR did seem to enjoy the taters. There were no leftovers. :D
    The ricer just removes any lumps and tends to make the mashed spuds more creamy .It's a French 'thing' !
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    40,321
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The ricer just removes any lumps and tends to make the mashed spuds more creamy .It's a French 'thing' !
    Geeze, it's definitely going back. My sister was raving about the stupid thing, but it's dinky and way overpriced, even at $7. I don't have anything else with the Martha brand.

    I think I'll just stick with my mom's old hand masher. SR likes the mashed taters with some lumps and likes some of the skin left on.

    I wondered how long it would take with that silly little couple of cup container. I find out. If I found one like Lurky's I'd probably actually use it.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Only elitits use ricers. Real americans get out the mixer and beat the snot out of the potatoes to make them creamy smooth.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Moderator lurkalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Posts
    1,539
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Only elitits use ricers. Real americans get out the mixer and beat the snot out of the potatoes to make them creamy smooth.
    its all fun and games until someone gets their tongue caught in the beaters :o
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Sin City Moderator RobJohnson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    16,373
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Geeze, it's definitely going back. My sister was raving about the stupid thing, but it's dinky and way overpriced, even at $7. I don't have anything else with the Martha brand.

    I think I'll just stick with my mom's old hand masher. SR likes the mashed taters with some lumps and likes some of the skin left on.

    I wondered how long it would take with that silly little couple of cup container. I find out. If I found one like Lurky's I'd probably actually use it.
    Sounds like it was worth trying out, especially since you had heard good things about it. Too bad it ends up being a hassle in the long run.

    Just get the frozen "real" mashed potatoes, some even have pieces of skin left in....SR will love them!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    its all fun and games until someone gets their tongue caught in the beaters :o
    just because you lick the beaters while they are still attached does not mean anyone else is going to do the same :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •