Thread: Potato ricer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Potato ricer 
    My sister was raving about the Martha Stuart potato ricer she got on sale at Macy's. I discovered the reason they marked it down from $24.99 to $7. The thing doesn't work. Perhaps it works if you're willing to take a lot of time to put in a few cubes of potato at a time that have been boiled in anticipation of mashed potatoes.

Last night I had decided to make home made mashed potatoes. I decided to use the new ricer that I just had to get (got the last one at Macy's yesterday and had to wait in line for a long time to check it out).

The thing was awful. It took forever and I only had done one potato. I just got out my old potato masher from my mom and did the whole pot in a few minutes.

The potato ricer is back in the car, waiting to be returned to Macy's.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I had peeled them (my sis said it worked better than trying to get the peels tghrough that ricer thing), had the potatoes soft and didn't overcrowd the little cup thing from the ricer.

I guess I just don't have the patience for a ricer. SR did seem to enjoy the taters. There were no leftovers. :D

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    True, the taters were very good without using some pansy "Ricer".:D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    first problem, you got a wimpy brand name gourmet ricer....mine is from my mom and is big enough to feed the crew! can throw in five pounds of boiled potatoes in this thing and crunch and you are done :)
    mashed potatoes that are riced are way too dry....
    ricer works when you are making things like potatoe pancakes, lefse, hashbrown cakes...or thickening a nice potato soup....
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    first problem, you got a wimpy brand name gourmet ricer....mine is from my mom and is big enough to feed the crew! can throw in five pounds of boiled potatoes in this thing and crunch and you are done :)
    mashed potatoes that are riced are way too dry....
    ricer works when you are making things like potatoe pancakes, lefse, hashbrown cakes...or thickening a nice potato soup....
    Lurky is right, you need a proper ricer not some celebrity chef flim flam. A sturdy ricer should be quite cheap to buy, I paid the equivalent of $10 for mine so you should be able to find one cheaper than that.

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    My sister was raving about the Martha Stuart potato ricer she got on sale at Macy's. I discovered the reason they marked it down from $24.99 to $7. The thing doesn't work. Perhaps it works if you're willing to take a lot of time to put in a few cubes of potato at a time that have been boiled in anticipation of mashed potatoes.

Last night I had decided to make home made mashed potatoes. I decided to use the new ricer that I just had to get (got the last one at Macy's yesterday and had to wait in line for a long time to check it out).

The thing was awful. It took forever and I only had done one potato. I just got out my old potato masher from my mom and did the whole pot in a few minutes.

The potato ricer is back in the car, waiting to be returned to Macy's.

Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I had peeled them (my sis said it worked better than trying to get the peels tghrough that ricer thing), had the potatoes soft and didn't overcrowd the little cup thing from the ricer.

I guess I just don't have the patience for a ricer. SR did seem to enjoy the taters. There were no leftovers. :D
    The ricer just removes any lumps and tends to make the mashed spuds more creamy .It's a French 'thing' !

Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    The ricer just removes any lumps and tends to make the mashed spuds more creamy .It's a French 'thing' !
    Geeze, it's definitely going back. My sister was raving about the stupid thing, but it's dinky and way overpriced, even at $7. I don't have anything else with the Martha brand.

I think I'll just stick with my mom's old hand masher. SR likes the mashed taters with some lumps and likes some of the skin left on.

I wondered how long it would take with that silly little couple of cup container. I find out. If I found one like Lurky's I'd probably actually use it.

Only elitits use ricers. Real americans get out the mixer and beat the snot out of the potatoes to make them creamy smooth.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Only elitits use ricers. Real americans get out the mixer and beat the snot out of the potatoes to make them creamy smooth.
    its all fun and games until someone gets their tongue caught in the beaters :o
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Quote Originally Posted by SaintLouieWoman View Post
    Geeze, it's definitely going back. My sister was raving about the stupid thing, but it's dinky and way overpriced, even at $7. I don't have anything else with the Martha brand.

I think I'll just stick with my mom's old hand masher. SR likes the mashed taters with some lumps and likes some of the skin left on.

I wondered how long it would take with that silly little couple of cup container. I find out. If I found one like Lurky's I'd probably actually use it.
    Sounds like it was worth trying out, especially since you had heard good things about it. Too bad it ends up being a hassle in the long run.

Just get the frozen "real" mashed potatoes, some even have pieces of skin left in....SR will love them!

Quote Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
    its all fun and games until someone gets their tongue caught in the beaters :o
    just because you lick the beaters while they are still attached does not mean anyone else is going to do the same :p
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.