Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    gator
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post
    They didn't have anything worth eating in Florida except fish and crabs before the Armadillos arrived .
    No beef or pork until the Spanish showed up and wrecked a few ships and the pigs swam ashore.And where in hell did you Floridians get a hold of any real peppers before the Spanish showed up .
    Texans don't know near as much about chili as they think they know.

A dish with beef and chilies was eaten in Florida long before there was even a Texas. The Spanish developed the dish in St Augustine and there are historical records that have the recipe. There is a good history of this in the Library at the University of Florida if anybody wants to do the research.

Later on the Spaniards spread the dish to present day Mexico and then later into the Southwest, including Texas. The Texans claim that it is their dish but it is typical Texas bullshit. The Texans even write histories of chili claiming it came from Texas but that is just because they never did the research of the dish in Florida.

When I hear a Texan making claims about knowing about chili I just laugh at the pathetic attempt. They are no better at defining real chili than the people from Ohio with their “Cincinnati” chili.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Welcome back, old fart.:D
    I am not back. I will go on my way shortly. I just don't like it when I see a New Yawker posting chili recipes so I felt compelled to say something. It makes my skin crawl, know what I mean?

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    I am not back. I will go on my way shortly. I just don't like it when I see a New Yawker posting chili recipes so I felt compelled to say something. It makes my skin crawl, know what I mean?
    Leave your recipe first. I hope it doesn't include any tomatoes. :D

Yankee boi you failed again.

Too many ingredients.

You don't put goddam "Great Northern" beans in Chilli. If you are going to put in beans it should be pinto beans or Mexican Pink beans.

Too many peppers will ruin the taste and you sure as hell don't put in bell peppers. Eating chilli should not be punishment and making it hot is for the insecure in order to mask the tase of their hambuger stew.

Nobody puts paprika in Chilli. If you are compelled by ignorance to do so then use at least use smoked paprika.

Paprika is red, enuf said!

Real chilli is made from cheap beef and does not include friggin hamburger. A little pork is OK.
    Bull - pork butt and sirloin steak is very tender and tasty! The ground meat was for texture!

You had nothing in it to mellow the taste of the acid in the tomatoes or the raw taste of the chiles.
    I added all the diced up chiles as I was sauteeing the sweet onions and mild bell peppers, smooths it out perfectly!

This is the kind of pathetic chilli a New Yorker would make after watching a cowboy movie. He would then invite his friends over and they would tell him how good it was because they wouldn't know any better.
    I read over a dozen award winning Texas chili recipes and just did it the way I felt was good, there was none left over! Thats how I know it was good.:D

The first recorded chilli recipe was in Florida. The goddamn Texans make a claim to chilli but it was being eaten in Florida hundreds of years before there was even a Texas.
    When I make it to take to the rifle range, I will call it a bowl of Florida red!!!

Because I am a peach of a guy if you admit that you failed I will give you the real recipie for chilli so you can do better next time.
    I showed the cans of beans so you would know not to put them in the chili. Tomatos are just fine in there, the law clearly states - no beans.

This was so good it makes you want to slap your momma!!:D
    Hahahahahah!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Leave your recipe first. I hope it doesn't include any tomatoes. :D
    Chili

About 3 lbs of beef cut up into thumb sized pieces.

1 lb of ground pork.

4-5 cups of beef broth.

2 cloves of crushed garlic.

2-3 bay leaves

2-3 tbls of cumin

3-4 tbls of good quality chili powder.

1 1/2 cup of chopped sweet onions.

One can of beer.

1 large can of crushed tomatoes. (crush fresh vine ripe tomatoes if available)

Mexican oregano.

˝ cup of apricot preserves.

Corn meal and mesa flour.

Brown the pork in a skillet.

Put the beef on a hot grill to shear and brown the meat. Just keep it on long enough to sear but not to cook through.

Put the beef in a pot and cover with the beef stock. At the garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is tender. Add the pork the last half hour or so.

Add the cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, beer and oregano and cook for another hour or so uncovered. Add water as necessary. Add pinto beans or pink beans if you want.

Add the apricot preserves about a half hour before completion. The apricot preserves give a subtle background sweetness and takes away the raw taste. You can use almost any kind of preserve or jelly but apricot or peach seems to be the mellowest flavor.

Make a wet paste of one part corn meal and two parts flour. Use this to tighten up the chili.

Add any hotness you want after the chili is cooked. Cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste. Salt to taste.

I have screwed around with many chili recipes over the years and this recipe gives the best consistently good result.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Chili

About 3 lbs of beef cut up into thumb sized pieces.

1 lb of ground pork.

4-5 cups of beef broth.

2 cloves of crushed garlic.

2-3 bay leaves

2-3 tbls of cumin

3-4 tbls of good quality chili powder.

1 1/2 cup of chopped sweet onions.

One can of beer.

1 large can of crushed tomatoes. (crush fresh vine ripe tomatoes if available)

Mexican oregano.

˝ cup of apricot preserves.

Corn meal and mesa flour.

Brown the pork in a skillet.

Put the beef on a hot grill to shear and brown the meat. Just keep it on long enough to sear but not to cook through.

Put the beef in a pot and cover with the beef stock. At the garlic and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and then simmer for a couple of hours until the meat is tender. Add the pork the last half hour or so.

Add the cumin, chili powder, tomatoes, beer and oregano and cook for another hour or so uncovered. Add water as necessary. Add pinto beans or pink beans if you want.

Add the apricot preserves about a half hour before completion. The apricot preserves give a subtle background sweetness and takes away the raw taste. You can use almost any kind of preserve or jelly but apricot or peach seems to be the mellowest flavor.

Make a wet paste of one part corn meal and two parts flour. Use this to tighten up the chili.

Add any hotness you want after the chili is cooked. Cayenne pepper or hot sauce to taste. Salt to taste.

I have screwed around with many chili recipes over the years and this recipe gives the best consistently good result.
    Okay, I am totally surprised by the apricot preserves. Never even thought of it.

Sounds interesting.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Tomatoes! Apricot preserves! Where did you people learn to make chili? San Francisco?

Great chili needs beef (not ground beef) onions, garlic, chilies, cumin, masa (can fake with cornmeal), beef broth (from your beef), and pepper. Beer is optional but always welcome. Chili needs to cook slowly. It improves with a reheat (or several).

It should not be dangerously hot from the chilies. You should not have to fear your own chili.

Chili is eaten with beer or milk and tortillas or sourdough bread.

Things chili does not need: tomatoes, corn, apricot preserves, bouquet garni, ground meat, pork, flour, hot sauce, soup crackers, non-onion family veggies, paprika, beans, or pasta (the horror!).

Shredded cheese is acceptable in individual bowls of chili. It better be cheddar cheese, though.

Mr. Snaps forces me to make that Midwestern chili from time to time. It looks like something the dog threw up. He adores it.

Oh man, apricots in a chili!?! Seems kinda gay to me! My chile puts hair on your chest!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Tomatoes! Apricot preserves! Where did you people learn to make chili? San Francisco?

Great chili needs beef (not ground beef) onions, garlic, chilies, cumin, masa (can fake with cornmeal), beef broth (from your beef), and pepper. Beer is optional but always welcome. Chili needs to cook slowly. It improves with a reheat (or several).

It should not be dangerously hot from the chilies. You should not have to fear your own chili.

Chili is eaten with beer or milk and tortillas or sourdough bread.

Things chili does not need: tomatoes, corn, apricot preserves, bouquet garni, ground meat, pork, flour, hot sauce, soup crackers, non-onion family veggies, paprika, beans, or pasta (the horror!).

Shredded cheese is acceptable in individual bowls of chili. It better be cheddar cheese, though.

Mr. Snaps forces me to make that Midwestern chili from time to time. It looks like something the dog threw up. He adores it.
    Chili over spaghetti is great. Cincinnati style. With grated cheddar and fresh onions.

Nice.

And it definitely needs crushed tomatoes.

People out west make lousy chili and even worse bar-b-que. :p
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Chili over spaghetti is great. Cincinnati style. With grated cheddar and fresh onions.

Nice.

And it definitely needs crushed tomatoes.

People out west make lousy chili and even worse bar-b-que. :p
    This from a man who wears the XY version of Spanx. Publicly.

Face it: you will never look good in shapewear and you will never make a decent pot of chili. A man has to know his limitations.