Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    This from a man who wears the XY version of Spanx. Publicly.

Face it: you will never look good in shapewear and you will never make a decent pot of chili. A man has to know his limitations.
    Ha! Even Flamers east of the Mississippi make better chili.

Why the hell did I say that?

Anyway, when it comes to Bar-B-Que and savory stews, Southerners Rule. Like the first rule of Bar-B-Que: Bar-B-Que = Pork.

The folks out west had potential, because so many of them came from the South-land. But you cats lost it when you stopped feedin' brisket to the coyotes and started eating it.

That was the point of no return.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Chili without beans? Isn't that just beef stew?

If you're not farting pure evil at the end of dinner, you didn't eat chili. What's next - a bunch of beef barbecue recipes? With mayonnaise-less coleslaw on the side? People, I ask you.
    Nothing helps a bad mood like spreading it around.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll View Post
    Chili without beans? Isn't that just beef stew?

If you're not farting pure evil at the end of dinner, you didn't eat chili. What's next - a bunch of beef barbecue recipes? With mayonnaise-less coleslaw on the side? People, I ask you.
    I actually sometimes make it with red kidney beans. The resulting emissions are paint-peeling to the max. :D

gator
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Oh man, apricots in a chili!?! Seems kinda gay to me! My chile puts hair on your chest!
    Raw chili needs some kind of backgound sweetness to make it good and mellow. Over the years I have tried brown sugar, white sugar and other sweeteners. I even tried using very ripe mango. Using peach or apricot jelly/preserves creates the best subtle sweetness. There is no apricot taste to the chili. You just get a background smoothness that turns OK chili into great chili.

Since you New Yawkers don't know what great chili is supposed to taste like you wouldn't understand.

Instead of questioning my advice you should be thanking me for the enlightment.

Chili requires 3 things: meat, tomatoes, and beans (preferably red kidney beans). Anything else is extra. Geeze people. I'm sure the meat mixture you all make tastes good (even with the added fruit ) but it's not chili.

Quote Originally Posted by gator View Post
    Raw chili needs some kind of backgound sweetness to make it good and mellow. Over the years I have tried brown sugar, white sugar and other sweeteners. I even tried using very ripe mango.
    This is so wrong but expected from a guy who probably grew up drinking sweet tea. You people invented Ambrosia - worse yet, you thought it was good.

Chili does not need any mellowing ingredients. Slow cooking and proper chili prep takes care of any harsh or biting overtones. If your prep makes you add sugar to the final stage to mute the chilies - you're doing it wrong.

But you knew that. :D

Raw chili needs some kind of backgound sweetness to make it good and mellow. Over the years I have tried brown sugar, white sugar and other sweeteners. I even tried using very ripe mango. Using peach or apricot jelly/preserves creates the best subtle sweetness. There is no apricot taste to the chili. You just get a background smoothness that turns OK chili into great chili.

Since you New Yawkers don't know what great chili is supposed to taste like you wouldn't understand.

Instead of questioning my advice you should be thanking me for the enlightment.
    I add this to the chili for that background sweetness:

Chili over rice is good.

Diced potatoes in chili is even better! :)

Chili over rice is good. Usually I eat it over rice or spaghetti.

I like to use crushed and diced tomatoes in my chili, and I use less bell pepper and add diced celery to the mix.

Power CUer
    Nobody puts paprika in Chilli. If you are compelled by ignorance to do so then use at least use smoked paprika.
    I'm even worse; I add cinnamon and cumin. Loooove that Cincinnati style.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken