1. #1 CNN Kills The Hated 'Crawl'. 
    CNN First to Kill News 'Crawl'

By Ryan Tate, 7:38 PM on Sun Dec 21 2008, 9,579 views

Like Rudolph Giuliani, the news crawl was great on 9/11 but was soon useless and despised. Now CNN is killing it, and hopefully Fox News will too, if the Simpsons mock them again.

Supposedly the cable news network threatened to sue (UPDATE: not really) its News Corporation siblings at the Simpsons in 2003 over the clip above, in which Fox News' already-infamous "crawl" is mocked, depicted running headlines like "Rupert Murdoch: Terrific Dancer," and "Study: 92 percent of Democrats are gay."

CNN's ticker might have been less politically controversial, but it still irritated many viewers to no end, including Lewis Black, who famously demanded the ticker be removed from underneath him during a CNN interview two and a half years ago (video of that is also in the clip above).

After rolling it out on 9/11, 22 minutes after Fox, CNN is retiring the crawl to give its screen "a less cluttered look," reports the Times.

Instead there will be something even more freakish-sounding at the bottom of the screen: a "flipper," which will be a line of text, usually related to whatever's on the screen. The text might "flip" over to show new information, but in a way CNN claims "doesn't give viewers a headache."

CNN: Always striving to patronize viewers a little bit less than the competition.
    I don't usually watch TV news but when I do, I hate that thing. I hate all that garbage they run simultaneously with programming. :mad:

Gawker

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I don't usually watch TV news but when I do, I hate that thing. I hate all that garbage they run simultaneously with programming. :mad:

Gawker
    The news crawls are not as annoying as those TV show "ads" that pop up during a show and take up the whole bottom of the screen.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    The news crawls are not as annoying as those TV show "ads" that pop up during a show and take up the whole bottom of the screen.
    There was one a few weeks ago that had some chick clinging to a rope and it went from the top of the screen to the bottom. It played over and over and over. :mad:

Quote Originally Posted by BadCat View Post
    I haven't seen those... yet. I guess it's TVs version of those web site ads that drop down from the top of the screen in time to cover up whatever it is you're reading with well hidden close buttons that by the time you find them the ad is already rolling back up.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

There was one a few weeks ago that had some chick clinging to a rope and it went from the top of the screen to the bottom. It played over and over and over. :mad:
    Yeah, that was on TNT or something. Saw it during "Lord of the Rings." Damn annoying. Whoever thought that sort of advertising was a good idea should be shot in both kneecaps.
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    Yeah, that was on TNT or something. Saw it during "Lord of the Rings." Damn annoying. Whoever thought that sort of advertising was a good idea should be shot in both kneecaps.
    Bingo! That's where I saw it. That was so annoying that I was unable to visually process the show title.

Bingo! That's where I saw it. That was so annoying that I was unable to visually process the show title.
    Try watching House on USA. If I see Debra Messing one more time, I'll slit my wrists.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Try watching House on USA. If I see Debra Messing one more time, I'll slit my wrists.
    Back when she had her first show with Thomas Hayden Church (Ned and Stacey) there was a scene where he whisks Debra Messing off her feet, runs to the balconey of his penthouse apartment and tosses her to her death. I love watching that clip over and over. It turned out to be a dream sequence but the episode ends with him mulling things over on his balconey then calling, "Stacey! Will you come here for a minute?"

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Back when she had her first show with Thomas Hayden Church (Ned and Stacey) there was a scene where he whisks Debra Messing off her feet, runs to the balconey of his penthouse apartment and tosses her to her death. I love watching that clip over and over. It turned out to be MY dream sequence but the episode ends with him mulling things over on his balconey then calling, "Stacey! Will you come here for a minute?"
    Fixed 54231
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad