1. #1 Canadian Profs Claim STEM Promotes ‘Eurocentrism’ and ‘White Supremacy’ 
    Three Canadian professors recently penned an editorial in an influential academic journal arguing that teaching students STEM (science, technology, engineering, and math) helps perpetuate “patriarchy,” “heteronormativity,” and other social ills.

Led by University of Alberta professor Marc Higgins, the research editorial “Displacing Methodologies in STEM Education: Theory for Eco-Social Justice” argues that STEM education practices, called “methodologies,” reinforce a variety of social ills.

STEM education practices — such as the traditional way of teaching math — produce “patriarchy, heteronormativity, white supremacy, Eurocentrism, (neo-)colonialism, able-ism, classism, labor inequity, anthropocentrism, and/or others,” the professors claim.

While Higgins declined an interview to clarify, other academics have made similar arguments. Most notable is a University of Illinois academic, who argued that algebra and geometry skills perpetuate “unearned privilege” among white people.

In the recent essay, the Canadian professors go on to vaguely argue that STEM teaching is an “important site in which the movements of power occur, differentially (re)producing articulations of dominance.”
    I don't understand what most of "isms' mean. My intellect isn't lofty enough.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/canadia...ite-supremacy/
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys

Quote Originally Posted by Banacek View Post
    I don't understand what most of "isms' mean. My intellect isn't lofty enough.

https://pjmedia.com/trending/canadia...ite-supremacy/
    No, you are intelligent, that's why you don't understand them.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Romans 6:18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

Differences between Obama and God: God's plan to save us is actually written down for people to read. Rush Limbaugh.

My blog: How Things Look From Here Politics, religion, random stuff, now on Wednesdays!

The only math teachers who helped me learn anything were those who taught using traditional methods. I got caught between the old math and the new math, and the return to the old math. I was permanently confused as far as math was concerned by the 7th grade. I had really good 7th and 8th grade math teachers that helped me get through it. My 8th grade math teacher was also my 10th grade geometry teacher, so I was lucky to have him twice.

I could handle new methods in the language arts and social studies, because those were subjects I excelled in.

In a totally unrelated story *cough* three Canadian liberal arts profs deeply upset that STEM profs actually get patents, grants, and royalties based on knowledge and skills valued in the market; also claim to feel 'Bullied' because STEM profs are driving nicer cars and eating in restaurants that don't have drive-through windows.

Sounds anti-science if you ask me
    Cast your burden on the Lord,
    and he will sustain you;
    he will never permit
    the righteous to be moved.
    Psalm 55:22

Quote Originally Posted by enslaved1 View Post
    No, you are intelligent, that's why you don't understand them.
    Thanks, I thought it was me.
    Unknown philosopher at a St. Patrick's Day celebration 1967

1 beer between 3 guys is better than no beers between no guys