Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 DU crop circle thread, very funny 
    http://www.democraticunderground.com...ss=389x3478797

This thread is pretty funny. The ration of shit they give those who think that these circles had to come from some source other than humans, is hilarious.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    Oh....that Hello Kitty pic Occam Bandage posted was killer!!! :D

I did some cherry picking:

Frankly, I'm a lot more impressed by the behavior you get from a few simple equations than the idea of aliens leaving graffiti in our food.
    Well, I'm convinced. No way that you could get twenty people to work on a project. No sir.
    Aliens are unsure is we understand the value of pi to ten places, so they want to tell us, but they've got to flatten out grass instead of just coming out and telling us.

That makes much more sense when you think about it.
    No, it had to be aliens
    Humans aren't smart enough to engineer something this complex and actually execute the plans.
    We figured out how to launch men to the Moon a half-century ago.
    Pressing down plants is beyond our mental capacity.
    Yea thats some definitive evidence of visitation by extraterrestrials alright
    Everyone knows that only extraterrestrials have the ability to flatten down wheat growing in a farm field.
    sure, they're aliens
    with way too much time on their hands.

wish they'd do something more constructive and useful for earthlings, like brain surgery on dubya so he thinks he's ralph nader.
    THAT POOR BARLEY
    it could have made such beautiful beer if it lived long enough
    166. I would love to know why kooky subjects like this seem to pop up so often
    Edited on Wed Jun-18-08 07:54 PM by Marr
    around left-leaning political discussion. Seems like about 1/3 the time I meet someone with whom I agree politically, they take an abrupt turn into Art Bell territory inside of 15 minutes.

Crop circles are made by human beings. I've seen a couple of techniques for making them demonstrated. There's zero evidence to suggest they're anything but man-made designs.

Well, this is my area, better say something.

When you look at the circles, you have to dig a little deeper.

If the grains have undergone any kind of change, then you may have indeed found something.

If not, don't rule anything out.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Crop circles are not evidence of alien visitations, but they are indeed more impressive than a burning bush.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

OK I saw Signs. This is obviously an alien directive to other aliens as to where the choicest human morsels can be found for galactice cultivation. An invasion is imminent I tell you. Get down in to your basements and don't for get the Cheetos and beer.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by The Night Owl View Post
    Crop circles are not evidence of alien visitations, but they are indeed more impressive than a burning bush.
    A 'Burning Bush" that is not consumned?

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    A 'Burning Bush" that is not consumned?
    Correct.

Study of Dictamnus gymnostylis Volatiles and Plausible Explanation of the "Burning Bush" Phenomenon

Journal of Essential Oil Research: JEOR, Jan/Feb 2004 by Fleisher, Alexander, Fleisher, Zhenia

Abstract

The detailed study of volatiles of Dictamnus gymnostylis Steven. (Dictamnus albus L., original polymorphic species) considered by many to be the Burning Bush of the Bible, was conducted. In addition to methyl chavicol (~15%), (E)-anethole (~7%) and psoralen (~7%), the presence of over 60% of 1-allyl-4- (3-methyl-2-butenyloxy) benzene (dictagymnin) was confirmed. It was shown that this chemical rather easily decomposes into chavicol and very flammable hydrocarbon 2-methyl-1,3-butadiene = isoprene (b.p. 34°C). The secretion of isoprene, which can be especially intense on hot windless days, leads to formation of the isoprene cloud that may inflame without any harm to the source plant.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...01/ai_n9347742
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Sonnabend
    Had you ever considered that the bush seemed to be burning, and may not have been, in fact combusting, but was in fact bathed with such a light as to seem to be burning?

That the words "burning bush" may be an allegory or imagery, but not literal in meaning?

Duhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    Had you ever considered that the bush seemed to be burning, and may not have been, in fact combusting, but was in fact bathed with such a light as to seem to be burning?
    Yes, I have considered the possibility that the burning bush written about in Scripture is a figure of speech.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas